Moparts

Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM

Posted By: Adobedude

Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 01:30 AM

With my low mount alternator it's close to impossible to see the TDC mark and the timing tape on the balancer, can I make a new TDC mark and relocate a new timing tape where I can see it?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. shruggy work
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 02:23 AM

Index it where ever you want once you get TDC,I used a paint pen to mark balancer and timing cover where you want.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 02:50 AM

there are no stupid questions & your inquiry is a real good question. Yes it wouldn't hurt to confirm TDC & you can get SB timing covers with the marks on either side and or buy the bolt on pass side bolt on timing tab & I see em on FABO regularly or as said make a new pointer or tab & a white paint mark on the dampener (clean that area first with brake kleen) then roll on your tape then seal it to the dampener with spray clear lacquer so it will stay put & not fly off.

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 02:57 AM

Sweet....

Thanks guys.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 03:17 AM

Never trust old marks or dampers, I just done the piston stop in plug hole trick with 2 of our engines, both were out. With stop in wind clock wise to stop and mark, wind counter clock wise to stop and mark, then the exact middle of marks is TDC .
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 03:18 AM

I hope I did this ^^ right smile

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By ozymaxwedge
I hope I did this ^^ right smile

X2...That's the way I do it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Relocate TDC mark and timing tape - SBM - 06/03/18 06:09 AM

I turn the dampener to 15BTDC on the tab then screw in the stop till it touches the piston then go back CCW & see if it stops at exactly 15 ATDC on the tab.
© 2024 Moparts Forums