Moparts

MSD Factory refurb'd?

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/07/18 09:47 PM

Anyone ever gotten an MSD product like this? They have some of their ignition boxes for sale pretty cheap that are "factory refurbished".

From MSD.....

"This is an official MSD Factory Reconditioned product listing.

Factory Reconditioned products consist of products that were originally sold new, or sent out as demo units, these products were then returned, sometimes without even being opened. Once we receive a product back, it is tested and then reconditioned to original factory specifications by Manufacturer-trained technicians. The testing process assures that the product meets the same stringent quality standards that are required for new products.

Since these products may show signs of a previous installation, minor wear or other cosmetic defect our policy is not to sell them as new. Rather than scrapping them, we are making them directly available to the public. Not only does this help us control the costs of our new products, it allows you to get a great deal on a like-new product!

Factory Reconditioned products have limited availability."
Posted By: vttm

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/07/18 10:07 PM

I bought a "refurbished" distributor last week from them for a customers big block ford. Looked like new and worked great!
Posted By: topside

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/08/18 04:28 AM

Arguably, it's been through two sets of tests and looked over for problems; probably the safest bet there is.
I've never had a bad MSD box except when I killed one due to feedback from an overheated oil-filled coil. Westtech rebuilt it for $95 and clued me in on using the $30 parts-store epoxy coil ('90 F150 302 V8).
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/08/18 11:19 AM

No doubt some are returns. Sometimes companies do this to reduce inventory without upseting their dealer network. I buy factory refurbished items from all sorts of suppliers and have never been let down. Most of the refurbished electronics I get appear brand spankin new.
Posted By: varunner

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 02:47 AM

Do you have a link for this ? I need a dist. and box, saving a buck would be nice
Posted By: therocks

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 04:25 AM

Too bad they dont have knobs for sale.Need a knob for my 8671 rpm module control.Lost it and have to guess where its set.Rocky

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By varunner
Do you have a link for this ? I need a dist. and box, saving a buck would be nice

No particular link, just the occasional ebay ad from MSD.
Posted By: GY3

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 06:33 PM

Are these the old analog or the new digital boxes?

The analog were stone reliable whereas we've seen and had new digital 6AL's bad right out of the box.

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 07:31 PM

The 6530 6AL-2 programmable box is what I was looking at and found this deal on.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 07:55 PM

there is an msd store on ebay, they have a good bit of refurb'd stuff for sale.

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 08:25 PM

this should be it

http://stores.ebay.com/MSD-Performance

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 08:41 PM

FYI: the ebay store offers a 90 warranty.

MSD factory direct warranty:

MSD warrants this product to be free from defects in material and workmanship under its
intended normal use*, when properly installed and purchased from an authorized MSD dealer,
for a period of one year from the date of the original purchase. This warranty is void for any
products purchased through auction websites. If found to be defective as mentioned above,
it will be repaired or replaced at the option of MSD. Any item that is covered under this
warranty will be returned free of charge using Ground shipping methods.

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 08:41 PM

Didn't realize there was a whole ebay store for them. I had just done a search for the 6530 box and it popped up...hadn't seen it before.

Re: MSD Factory refurb'd? - 05/09/18 09:53 PM

Glad we found it. Price on a ignition box looks about 50 less than summit pro shop. I don't like the 90 day warranty though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums