Moparts

indy mod man intake

Posted By: rbkt65

indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 03:10 PM

are they still avail? are they max wedge port? what is the opinion of them? thanks in advance
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 03:51 PM

Can't answer your question, but has anyone done a cylinder-to-cylinder test for mixture distribution?
I can't see how the end runners (1, 2, 7, 8) are anywhere near the center runners (3, 4, 5, 6). That giant shoe-box plenum has all the fuel drop-out of a tunnel ram, without the mixture velocity in the runners.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 04:20 PM

yes from INDY - or your favorite INDY dealer - they come either way standard port of max-wedge - do they work - depends on what you are doing. I have one on my 65 coronet with ez-1 heads - it works better than the factory cross ram did. I run two 600 AFB's on it. a couple of guys are running them in NSS and having luck with them. It is not the best designed intake but the fuel distribution is really not that awful with dual quads.
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 04:35 PM

i sure hope it works. I'm gonna find out here real soon. brand new car and engine. if not i guess i will put the ka-boom! intake back on and take my chances.

Attached picture 0910162040a.jpg
Attached picture 25311313_1716347321723067_8992398658979148600_o.jpg
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By 64hemi330sedan
i sure hope it works. I'm gonna find out here real soon. brand new car and engine. if not i guess i will put the ka-boom! intake back on and take my chances.

Let us know how it works, I may get one if it does ok. Thanks
Posted By: tex013

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 10:41 PM

They are stock port but you can open open up to max wedge, havent looked at in a couple years .
Was too big a plenum for my 440 , even with a approximate 20% reduction of volume using a insert . Did seem to have poor carb signal , had to push a lot of jet in it
Drove good on street and made same hp as HP1000 holley on m1 and 1" open spacer . Just soft sixty at track footbraking . Did try 1 and 2" 4 poft spacers but saw no real gain
Am aiming to set up on my 505 in the next 2 weeks . Should be better plus i am leaving higher off a transbrake

Tex
Posted By: nss guy

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By 64hemi330sedan

Looks great !!
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/24/18 10:56 PM

about as technological as a crow bar.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/25/18 12:50 AM

And yet it is still more effective than most of the readily available alternatives for a Nss legal intake.
Posted By: cb1289

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/25/18 01:18 AM

... and fits under most stock hoods
Posted By: dvw

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/25/18 01:56 AM

The Mod Man works, but not at the same power level. When the "Kaboom" is correct it doesn't Kaboom. Proper starting procedure and 500 passes proves this out. Well over 2000 starts (since proper starting procedure) w/o a Kaboom.
Doug
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/25/18 02:17 AM

Based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like the end ports are longer, farther away from the closest venturi.
Assuming all 8 bbls. match (throttle + venturi), has anyone tried +1 jets in the end bbls. (front primaries, rear secondaries)?

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/25/18 04:40 AM

PS , when i asked Indy way back they said i needed more RPM to get the best out if it . I was shifting at 6000 trap 6300
I still only shift at 6000 but trap at 6700 . Leaving at 3500 instead of 2300

Tex
Posted By: 66coronet

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 04:18 PM

I have run a modman since 2013 I think.

It works.
It will work as a bolt on. Spending time and figuring out what it wants will certainly help. I ran mine out of the box up until last year. We are index racing and I needed to slow down so I didn't care to re invent the wheel.

Last year I decided to try a few things and see what it had in it.
My observations.

1. It absolutely likes rpm. When short shifting it will work its way down track and when it gets up above 6600 it will start pulling.
2. It needs more jet than you think it does. Possibly due to less than optimal fuel distribution in the plenum.
3. You will read people talking about plenum fillers or stuffers. Do not bother. Dont decrease the flow, REDIRECT the flow.

Its a good piece and it fits under most hoods.
I am now working on a best possible combination for my car. A pair of edelbrock 750s make great mph and et. They do not react as well as my 600s did.

I have not tried staggered jetting as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Posted By: moparmitch

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 05:45 PM

Hey Doug,

Can you share the proper starting procedure or is this proprietary?

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 06:49 PM

I can tell you how I do mine.

cold:
cycle the pump on and off 3 times.
give it 3 pumps of the throttle.
let it sit for a few seconds.
Crack the throttle.
spin the motor and then throw the fire to it

Warm:
pat the throttle once.
Crack the throttle.
spin the motor and then throw the fire to it
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 07:13 PM

On the 440-25 intake just put two of the wilson nitrous pop-off valves on it - and dont worry about it going KaBoom - They work very well!

Attached picture IMG_1908.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1909.JPG
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 09:39 PM

I have the Wilsom Pop offs on my Indy tunnel ram also. Hard to see with everything else going on but they are there.

Attached picture rsz_20160414_201152.jpg
Posted By: BradH

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By lewtot184

Pretty much what I thought the first time I saw one w/o the lid on some years ago. IIRC, my posted comment was along the lines that my daughter (who might have been in 1st grade at the time) could have come up with that design using dull scissors and a cardboard box.

I hope people make them work, 'cuz I'm happy I don't have to.

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By 66coronet
I have run a modman since 2013 I think.

It works.
It will work as a bolt on. Spending time and figuring out what it wants will certainly help. I ran mine out of the box up until last year. We are index racing and I needed to slow down so I didn't care to re invent the wheel.

Last year I decided to try a few things and see what it had in it.
My observations.

1. It absolutely likes rpm. When short shifting it will work its way down track and when it gets up above 6600 it will start pulling.
2. It needs more jet than you think it does. Possibly due to less than optimal fuel distribution in the plenum.
3. You will read people talking about plenum fillers or stuffers. Do not bother. Dont decrease the flow, REDIRECT the flow.

Its a good piece and it fits under most hoods.
I am now working on a best possible combination for my car. A pair of edelbrock 750s make great mph and et. They do not react as well as my 600s did.

I have not tried staggered jetting as mentioned earlier in the thread.

what cubic inches motor size ?
couple pics of my insert , hope it also directs air flow out towards ports

Tex

Attached picture Modman 1.jpg
Attached picture Modman 2.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/26/18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By BradH

Pretty much what I thought the first time I saw one w/o the lid on some years ago. IIRC, my posted comment was along the lines that my daughter (who might have been in 1st grade at the time) could have come up with that design using dull scissors and a cardboard box.

I talked to a guy who claimed to be the designer of that intake. (He doesn't work at Indy). He said the intake was designed for EFI and that it works really well for dry flow. He didn't think it was a good idea to run carbs on that intake but that is the way Indy sells it.

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 02:02 AM

Tex

Mine is a 499
SR heads max wedge ports
Small flat tappet cam
12.5 to 1 comp

That may help direct flow. I was told at least 1 and 3/4 tall and the width of those outside veins in the floor. Pretty much 4 inches wide. Your shape is a little off also. It needs a flat top then rounded to the downhills. This came from someone who built carburetors and modified intakes on cup cars. I know of another modman modified in a very similar way and it cost a ton to have it done by a high end engine shop.

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 03:51 AM

yes mine is a triangular insert . may or may not be best shruggy
it is what I have , about 1 1/4" high
mine is a 505 , 11.0:1 , 272@050 sft . cnc source heads .
I have had this intake for a number of years , just got to try it again . Otherwise 1050 dom on adapter to M1 intake

Tex
Posted By: dvw

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By moparmitch
Hey Doug,

Can you share the proper starting procedure or is this proprietary?

I turn the pumps on and fill the bowls. Pumps off, no need to leave them on if something were to happen. If the temp is 50 degrees or warmer with a cold engine. Pump the throttle 3 times. Wait 30 seconds. One more pump holding the throttle 1/2 open. It should start on the 1st or 2nd revolution. If not wait 30 seconds and crank again. When already warmed up 1 pump wait 15 seconds, 1/2 throttle, then crank. If it's below 50 degrees through a cloth fender cover over the carbs and use the cold start procedure.
Doug
Posted By: cb1289

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 03:41 PM

Screwed it on with two 750 eddy's,stock jetting,sometimes slightly richer,sometimes slightly leaner, depending on the weather. Car runs great. Hundreds of passes since 2014. 493cu, in. 12.5:1, 3700 lb. Very satisfied with my "crow bar"
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By BradH

I talked to a guy who claimed to be the designer of that intake. (He doesn't work at Indy). He said the intake was designed for EFI and that it works really well for dry flow. He didn't think it was a good idea to run carbs on that intake but that is the way Indy sells it.
I believe the EFI thing. those short runners would have a pretty high torque peak, and indy always tells folks to "rev them up" on any of their products. can't be a truly carb friendly intake in my opinion.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: indy mod man intake - 03/27/18 09:25 PM

I always thought it would make a nice efi intake
© 2024 Moparts Forums