Moparts

Lexan windshields

Posted By: top8x7b

Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 12:26 AM

Who did you guys use ?
For a 70 duster
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 01:54 AM

Made my own. Got sheets of 1/8" lexan and used the old glass as a pattern. Taped up the border and spray painted it with Krylon. Take your time and cut it slow with a very fine toothed jig saw or band saw if available. Rough out the blank and support it on a flat table (like 1/2" plywood on saw horses) to finish cutting it. Key point here, TAKE YOUR TIME.

Brian
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 03:41 PM

Maybe I'm biased b/c my personal cars are still street legal and have the factory glass in them, but I hate looking through lexan. The stuff is horrible to see through at night, scratches so easily, and generally looks terrible IMO.
Taking the lexan out of the Camaro I drive for a friend and putting a real windshield back in it.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Maybe I'm biased b/c my personal cars are still street legal and have the factory glass in them, but I hate looking through lexan. The stuff is horrible to see through at night, scratches so easily, and generally looks terrible IMO.
Taking the lexan out of the Camaro I drive for a friend and putting a real windshield back in it.

You're either using the wrong stuff or not taking care of it right. You can't treat it like glass.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 05:00 PM

Agreed.
it must be taken care of with tender glove's.
No wipers scuffing across, so watch your weather forecast.
Lexan here for 10 years + and still looks as clear as glass. Even at night. 3/16's.
Good weight savings right up front.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/19/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda

You're either using the wrong stuff or not taking care of it right. You can't treat it like glass.

Possibly, just an observation from cars I've driven and worked on for other people.
Posted By: DirtyDave

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/20/18 02:58 AM

First post here so if I missed the introduction section I do apologise.

http://www.proglasswindows.com
http://www.opticarmorwindows.com

Couple of the better companies out there. A little pricey but well worth it, and you definitely want coated not some crap from home depot where you even look at it wrong and it scratches.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/20/18 06:06 PM

the side and rear glass I replaced myself with flat lexan sheets, I moulded the back glass with a heat gun. The windshield I bought from proglass, good quality, and has a coating to stop scratches. Beware I had my car painted and told them they had to mask it good off, because you can't use thinner to get off overspray like glass. Well they used all tape instead of paper, and it pulled the coating off in several places, I replaced it this year, where the coating was good, no scratches after 15 years, where it was gone lots of scratches.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/20/18 08:02 PM

We used a high quality molded 3/16" windshield on the Mustang. Don't even need to brace it. No issues at over 200 mph.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Lexan windshields - 03/20/18 08:29 PM

I have been very happy with all my ProGlass stuff. Most people think it is glass, if you take care of it they will last for a very long time. I used Pro Glass because they used formed pieces for windshields rear windows etc
© 2024 Moparts Forums