Moparts

If you knew then what you know now...

Posted By: BradH

If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 12:30 AM

... would you have made different decisions as far as how you approached racing, or your choice of builds, or... ???

popcorn
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 12:38 AM

The only thing I would have changed is I would have bought my heads up car while I was younger and my son still lived at home. At my age it’s hard doing a class like that by yourself. It may end up being another bracket car
Posted By: madscientist

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:09 AM

I would have never started.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:11 AM

I'd have been faster

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
I would have never started.

I figured that comment would make it into the top 10 responses, but in by 2... wow! laugh2
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:19 AM

I would have done about everything differently! Skip the rb with 906 heads, save my nickels for B1 heads and a moly chassis.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:25 AM

iagree gone big the first time!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By BradH
... would you have made different decisions as far as how you approached racing, or your choice of builds, or... ???

popcorn

I would have never built and raced a 1970 Baracuda 4 speed with a Hemi in NHRA stock on a 9 inch wide slick tsk realcrazy
I should have weighed that car first as far as how much weight on the front tires and rear tires with me in it work
It had 2160 Lbs. on the front tires and 1280 lbs. on the rear without me in it back in 1976 before NHRA required the drivers weight in the drivers seat shock I never raced that car again after weighing it that day blush
That car had a minimum weight of 3440 Lbs. with out the driver after a run back then whiney
Posted By: 340man4ever

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:32 AM

Dana 60 instead of 8 3/4, Super Sprag, LBA valve body and aftermarket front drum in 727....DAMHIK................
Posted By: humpty

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 02:05 AM

I would have started racing at a younger age, and learned how to do more on my own sooner like welding, building transmissions and rear ends. Lastly I wish I found this forum sooner!
Posted By: dizuster

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 02:20 AM

When we ran the lickety split car in the 90's and 2000's, I wouldn't have kept exclusivly turning the rear shock compression knob all over the place and wondering why it didn't help the traction. Lol
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 02:46 AM

I would of taken photos of things I built, I wouldn't have taken 8 years off.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:26 AM

When I was 10 years old I was going to the track with my Dad racing his 63 Max Wedge car, about then he was 2 tenths off the Australian A/MP record before he threw the Brooks rods out the side of the block, that was 75/76, 20 years later we got the car back and I found 5.14 gears in the diff !!!
What RPM is that ? 120mph 32" tire.

Im no guru but Im sure I could have got that record.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:28 AM

I would have chosen a far more lucrative and secure line of work. And bought a lot more Hemis.
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:39 AM

I would have done more research and chatted with more people before starting a build. Would of went to an aftermarket block out of the gate.
Doing those simple things and I’d have enough $ left over to do a second car. That I know for sure.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:46 AM

I would have bought up a bunch of 68-72 muscle cars in the late 70's when people were getting rid of them. Held onto them till the 2000's
Posted By: 8urvette

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:53 AM

I would have built a LS based twin turbo fuel injected E85 engine instead of my 540 victor headed gasengine.... stirthepot

It would still be in my barracuda tho whistling
Posted By: Sport440

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:54 AM

I wouldn't of followed any of Brad h.s, engine and car building threads waiting for results that never have happened. Besides that I would of Bought all the Hemis I could of back in the day. Other then that, would of done it the same, it was a journey. up
Posted By: rb446

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:06 AM

Building my 440SP motor with stock pistons and that 290@.050 solid wasn't the ticket, running the 14x32's @4.5psi was no good just because everyone else ran them at that back then, and the 90/10's weren't the best, probably would've done better with some used stock shocks, too much front end rise, apart from that the car still ran well and managed 10.7's with 2.14 906's but I'm sure I could've gone quite a bit quicker today with the same set up just changing those things, at the end of the day my goal was a 9 sec pass which I managed with a small shot of spray so not a bad way to bow out of the sport in 1990.
Posted By: GY3

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:20 AM

I would have spent more money on getting good suspensions and rearends under my cars.

Experimenting with 8 3/4 rears and Superstock springs was an exercise in wallet lightening and not much else.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:32 AM

I would have raced more when I was younger and cut better lights.

I would have divorced my first wife sooner so I would not have had to listen to the noise about spending money on race cars.

Aftermarket block was best investment I ever made for my race car.

Going fast is fun, but slower cars make better index and bracket cars, if all you care about is winning rounds. I won a lot more rounds with a 11.00 car than I do now with a 9.70 car

I wish I could have kept some of my early race cars, instead of having to sell them to finance the next one.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 07:08 AM

Shoulda put a blower on my hemi 20 years ago! smoke
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 07:13 AM

I wanted to get my 2 daughters and my son into racing when they were young. My wife was against it, I gave in. Now, I regret that. I should have fought for it. I see family teams at the race track, and it's good thing. My daughters don't like to do anything that I like to do, and vice-versa.

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440
I wouldn't of followed any of Brad h.s, engine and car building threads waiting for results that never have happened.

Well, since you put it that way... me, either.

About 20 years ago I decided I couldn't afford to both stay active in motocross and get back into drag racing as I started going to the track regularly with my Challenger.

20/20 hindsight shows me I made the wrong choice: should have kept the dirt bikes. Overall, the Challenger has been a money pit that's been apart far more years than it's been running. Although I get into the technical stuff because it really does interest me, on a scale of 1 to 10, the satisfaction I've gotten from my car hobby is pretty low... probably a 3, all things considered.

But at this point it's what I have, and too much has changed to go in a different direction. So, I'll do what I can to get it back on the street this year and hope to have something else to show for it besides a stack of parts invoices and some dyno test printouts.
Posted By: dvw

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 01:49 PM

It s been an enjoyable learning curve. That's half the fun. It's been fun to watch the kids, friends and myself grow and learn. There's always a better way to build, or race.
Doug
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 02:21 PM

I think if I had to start over right now I would probably build a fox body mustang with a gen III hemi in it. I had a mustang for a few years, loved it, loved the aftermarket, but I don't think I could let a ford engine onto my engine stand lol.

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:08 PM

In 44 years of racing both on the street and at the strip I have seen a lot of guys come and go. Some guys are always searching for that special trick or gaget to go faster instead of working with what they have. They try this then they try that, selling this to buy that. Worry about cam overlap, dyno trickery, is my oil bad or good. Buy belt drives, vacuum pumps, and fancy timing wheels instead of sticking to track proven distributors on their 9-10-11 second race cars. Hell half that stuff isn’t even needed into the 8 second range. Oh let’s throw a dry sump on it and that will make it really fast. One of our members has tried Old style Hemis, wedges, and now going to gen 3 because we all know that will fix everything. I know some of us enjoy building and tinkering but sooner or later you got to drop the tools, calm down, and go have some dam fun. Most of us will never be the quick kid on the block. Ok I will stop preaching now because I’m kicking around the idea of switching all my cars over to fuel injection so I can start all over and go slower. Have a great weekend
Posted By: RAMM

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 03:58 PM

20/20 hindsight shows me I made the wrong choice: should have kept the dirt bikes. Overall, the Challenger has been a money pit that's been apart far more years than it's been running. Although I get into the technical stuff because it really does interest me, on a scale of 1 to 10, the satisfaction I've gotten from my car hobby is pretty low... probably a 3, all things considered.

But at this point it's what I have, and too much has changed to go in a different direction. So, I'll do what I can to get it back on the street this year and hope to have something else to show for it besides a stack of parts invoices and some dyno test printouts.

Damn Brad a 3? That's not good. This tells me you're on the wrong path. I feel the same way sort of.

To answer you're post/headline question--I would have persued Architecture like I almost did and paid guys like me to live out my Mopar based affliction. J.Rob
Posted By: ccdave

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:19 PM

I would have never used that spring with those rockers. whistling popcorn
Posted By: tboomer

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:35 PM

I would have put my 64 Dodge back on the street with a mild 440.
I would have never used Brad Penn oil. stirthepot
Posted By: Dart451

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:35 PM

Did Dragweek sooner, but was worth the wait! up

and found the second wife sooner punkrocka

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
I would have put my 64 Dodge back on the street with a mild 440.
I would have never used Brad Penn oil. stirthepot

I would use Brad Penn Oil in my lawnmower. Ohhhhhh 💩
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:44 PM

I would have bought the AAR Cuda I test drove for 1,500 bucks the same day I bought my current one in 1981.

If I was going to get married at all,should have done it when I was young a stupid,instead of old and foolish at age 44..

Stopped my best friend from being killed by a drunk driver.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:56 PM

would have never married wife number two and divorced her fifteen years earlier!
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 04:59 PM

I would have bought a couple hundred R Bloks..
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:11 PM

I would have never listened to a car show guy/non racer's advice on anything car related. Not Anything. Nor would I have ever picked up a magazine written by the same type. So expensive to UN-learn.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:19 PM

Hellcrate instead of another bb build. But that would have cost an additional fortune.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:26 PM

I would have bought all the unwanted used Hemi and Max Wedge cars I could afford back in the day.

Of course I probably would have sold them for only triple my investment and left a ton on the table.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:28 PM

I wouldn't have wasted time with my first car ( 1965 Chevy Impala SS 427 4spd). That thing was a slug with freeway gears. I went through 3 clutches before I got smart and sold it.
Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
I wanted to get my 2 daughters and my son into racing when they were young. My wife was against it, I gave in. Now, I regret that. I should have fought for it. I see family teams at the race track, and it's good thing. My daughters don't like to do anything that I like to do, and vice-versa.

My kids are the reason I am probably not racing right now... I do take them to the track once in a while.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 05:40 PM

I would have opened the N2O bottle sooner...and it would be mounted in a fox body...haha
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 06:20 PM

I would have pushed harder to get my son involved driving a car. Would love to say I would have started racing sooner. But we had our kids when we were young so money was not there to even worry about a racecar. Would not trade a racecar for doing things with and for the kids so I am fine with the way things turned out. Really nothing else I would change. Sure would love to have the cash to go run Comp but that aint happening, to old now to start there. Will just keep doing what I have been doing. Afterall I would not be where I'm at if it were not for where I've been
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 07:24 PM

I would have left my car a gasser and just improved that straight axle platform instead of making the car more "Pro Street" with new chassis and full quarters. Then I would be able to race with the "new gasser" crowd. It looks like they are having a lot of fun, and drawing pretty good crowds too.
No real regrets changing to the Hemi though. twocents

Mark
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By Sport440
I wouldn't of followed any of Brad h.s, engine and car building threads waiting for results that never have happened.

Well, since you put it that way... me, either.

About 20 years ago I decided I couldn't afford to both stay active in motocross and get back into drag racing as I started going to the track regularly with my Challenger.

*and check the oil before you drive it, every time. : )

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD
I would have opened the N2O bottle sooner...and it would be mounted in a fox body...haha

Preparing for that this summer...the Nitrous, not the Fox body!

I had one of those ('93 Cobra) and decided it wasn't for me!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By Hot 340
I would have never listened to a car show guy/non racer's advice on anything car related. Not Anything. Nor would I have ever picked up a magazine written by the same type. So expensive to UN-learn.

Non-racers. Who endlessly brag about their car, friend's cars, and cars they don't even own...but everything you own is crap.

If they go to a race they never participate, only spectate...but they come to my pit area (usually when I'm busy) and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

They all have 9, 10 and 11 second cars that you never see at the track but they still get faster every year. And if you ask to see a timeslip they "lost" it.

What would I change? Nothing as of yet. My husband and I are still having a blast. Still learn more every year. I do appreciate advice from real racers...you guys rock.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By dustergirl340

Non-racers. Who endlessly brag about their car, friend's cars, and cars they don't even own...but everything you own is crap.

If they go to a race they never participate, only spectate...but they come to my pit area (usually when I'm busy) and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

They all have 9, 10 and 11 second cars that you never see at the track but they still get faster every year. And if you ask to see a timeslip they "lost" it.
iagree I think I've met those people also at the races work whistling
I've also met and got to know a lot of good Mopar racers at the track, also met some not so good competitors that raced other brands that like to play mind games and one upmanship down
I loved whupping them guys devil
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/03/18 11:56 PM

If I knew what I know now my street car would have been in the low 10's instead of the low 11's in 1977.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 12:00 AM

Not to add anything to the car without lightening it in some manner. Don’t add anything that isn’t needed to go faster. Spend more time using the power you have instead of making more power to waste through an untuned chassis.
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By dustergirl340

What would I change? Nothing as of yet. My husband and I are still having a blast. Still learn more every year. I do appreciate advice from real racers...you guys rock.
Wow, ain't this the truth! laugh2 I always like it when they tell you that you don't know how to drive and then proceed to tell you that they would show you how it's done! I've even had one of these types tell me I just need to go out there and wreck my car so I'd know how to drive! (True story)... But back to the thread, I wish I built my hemi alot sooner in life, back when my dad was still living. He would of had a blast I'm sure. He got a kick out of the many 340's we had!

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By RAMM

Damn Brad a 3? That's not good. This tells me you're on the wrong path...

It's the law of averages... a handful of enjoyable years mixed in with a lot where I'd tell my wife that I was ready to roll it (or carry it in pieces) out to our cul de sac and set it on fire just to be DONE with it.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 03:41 AM

I would of taken the offer my dad gave me and let him pay for the college education in mechanical engineering and payed him back,instead I decided to work a number of meanial job's and squeek out a living for the last 40 years.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By dartman366
I would of taken the offer my dad gave me and let him pay for the college education in mechanical engineering and payed him back,instead I decided to work a number of meanial job's and squeek out a living for the last 40 years.

This. I made the mistake of being in a profession, that produced pay cuts the last 10 years before retirement. ALWAYS talk young people out of a dealership automotive career.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By RAMM

Damn Brad a 3? That's not good. This tells me you're on the wrong path...

It's the law of averages... a handful of enjoyable years mixed in with a lot where I'd tell my wife that I was ready to roll it (or carry it in pieces) out to our cul de sac and set it on fire just to be DONE with it.

When you finally get that car back together, as you should and its ready. That scale number should jump to about 9 or 10 or so. You've done great research, put her together. up
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 06:22 AM

Although things have gone good, and I've been doing this since 1969, to be brutally honest I would not have spent so much time hitting the sauce when I was younger. I had a drinking problem, and upon retrospect it cost me. I've often wondered just how well I would have done if I had worked harder, rather than party as much.
It's been 20 years, since I've had a drink, but, honestly, If I knew then what I know now, it would have been different.....
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 06:48 AM

In 1976, when looking for my first car, I had to pass up a Dodge Charger Daytona AND a Plymouth Superbird, both with a big blocks, one with a 4 speed. $5000 for either one, both just average used condition (sitting on used car lot). I didn't have much money and wound up buying a 1973 Barracuda, 318 auto. At that time,I was looking for a car to drive to work, not a hotrod. I kept (and drove) that car until 1999, then sold it to someone who restored to real nice.
On a side note, at the time (1976) I was renting a house with 3 other guys and the drive way was WAY cool. My Barracuda, a 196? Dodge R/T, a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 and a 1969 Ford Torino Talladega.
The other thing I would have done back then would be buy a aftermarket block or two when they were available, even if I had to borrow the money to buy them.
Hind sight and fore sight...

Brian
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 06:25 PM

I been around this MOPAR racing stuff for over 40 years - I would not change a thing - never stopped learning - never lost the passion for the cars - still having fun today! I also never take it too seriously after all it is just a hobby! Along the way I have met some real good people also made a few good friends! I have also seen a bunch of flamers come and go in the Mopar hobby but that is to be expected.
Posted By: ccdave

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 06:57 PM

If I had to do it all over again I would be a Chevy guy. Huge aftermarket, better quality aftermarket parts, less expensive, and less chip on the shoulder “ I’m the master of all Mopar engine builders so how dare you thing outside my way of engine building because I’ve been a Mopar guy for 50 years back when things were done the right way....
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 07:06 PM

Lol I wouldve bought up A-body rearends and sold them today to pay off my house.
Posted By: CSK

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 09:10 PM

For me the list is long, NEVER get married is at the top.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 10:04 PM

Married my wife of 30 years sooner rather than date for 7 years, should have lived together ( she had her own apt for years) rather than live at home. I have owned my Dart for 35 years in that time I was most successful when the car ran in the 11s ( it still does on a stop) I wasted over 20 years trying to run Pro/Heavy against 9 second cars running mid 10s and trying to go faster, I should have just stayed in the 11s. P.S. IMO i like Brad Penn my last motor ( 363 W2 heads , 590 lift mech. cam, !!.5 to 1 comp. on race gas) had over 1100 runs on it and is still good as new inside.

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
Posted By: cgall

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 10:12 PM

I made a lot of bad decisions that diminished my racing career, but hey, they say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. One thing I do right is the opposite of BradH, I will never tear down my car unless I have everything in place to get it running again. My car isn't fast but I have raced it every year since 1993. I quit playing softball and soccer long ago to focus on family, but I have always made time and found enough money to keep racing. And my wife tried to make me feel guilty many times when I went to the track on a Saturday night and she was at home with two kids. Some guys play golf all the time or have a girl on the side, I just liked to race. Now I'm divorced and I have a big house with a 42 X 21 garage and I will be ready to race next month, I'm planning on racing at Indy this year at their double-up races, first one is April 7-8.
Posted By: racerx

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 11:10 PM

Interesting story's in this thread work
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 11:39 PM

I do agree on keeping a car running. Taking them down for extensive work can turn into a blackhole of never finished pretty quick. There is things done on my car that I would have liked to do nicer but it would have taken way more time and money. Having the car running and driving makes it easy to stay focused and nibble away at things.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/04/18 11:42 PM

Took me way too long to learn to short shift 1st gear running a 4 speed and rely on the torque rather than twist the big block so bad. It should not have survived my stupidity.

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By cgall
One thing I do right is the opposite of BradH, I will never tear down my car unless I have everything in place to get it running.

That's a great approach, assuming you have a spare engine, trans, differential, etc., waiting to swap in when you hurt something.

Otherwise, I don't see how you can avoid down time while you tear stuff apart to determine what needs to be repaired before it can go back together.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By cgall
One thing I do right is the opposite of BradH, I will never tear down my car unless I have everything in place to get it running.

That's a great approach, assuming you have a spare engine, trans, differential, etc., waiting to swap in when you hurt something.

Otherwise, I don't see how you can avoid down time while you tear stuff apart to determine what needs to be repaired before it can go back together.

That was my plan back in 2104. I had another transmission and had a deal for another engine so I could do the second engine and gearbox up and just swap it.

My friend died and the whole deal was set back and took me almost 3 years to fix all the crap.
Posted By: cgall

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 03:27 AM

Not picking on you, Brad, just saying I am a racer first and my cars have always been set up for longevity above all. I do keep a fresh spare trans and swap it out every 300 runs, have a fuel pump, starter and other stuff I take to the track with me. Nothing worse than lining for semifinals and battery is dead or some other preventable circumstance.

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 02:07 PM

Understood

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 02:17 PM

This game can kick you in the wheels sometimes. I made one small change last year and did one stupid mistake. I lost probably 10 race weekends over it and was so pissed off I could eat nails. In the end it made my car way better and taught me how to build my own transmissions but wow what a way to go about it. I wish I could say I will never do anything that stupid again but I won’t take that bet.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 02:54 PM

To keep it racing related...if I knew then what I know now in 1985 I WOULD NOT sell a 68 Super Bee, give the 3500 I got for it, wheels, tires, and a 70 model Duster body to a place called Custom Auto Works in Waxahachie, TX to build me a Super Gas Car...who then approx. 3 months later closed their doors, went out of business, disappeared with my money, car, tires and wheels...it was a year long nightmare hunting the owner down...but I found him... smoke

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By RapidusMaximus
To keep it racing related...if I knew then what I know now in 1985 I WOULD NOT sell a 68 Super Bee, give the 3500 I got for it, wheels, tires, and a 70 model Duster body to a place called Custom Auto Works in Waxahachie, TX to build me a Super Gas Car...who then approx. 3 months later closed their doors, went out of business, disappeared with my money, car, tires and wheels...it was a year long nightmare hunting the owner down...but I found him... smoke

Can we hear more of this story?!
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By RapidusMaximus

Can we hear more of this story?!

It could be a whole thread by itself, but briefly...I was really hot to run Super Gas in a well built full chassis Duster, found a really clean 70 Duster rolling shell, sold my 68 Bee, bought wheels and tires and headed to a race car shop in Arlington called Paul Peyton's race cars, I had used them before and had good luck...well they were over booked and down to one employee at the time so they told me about this "other shop" but didn't know much about it. So...I drove out there met the guys, nice shop, lots of cars in work...sweet, made a deal to bring the Duster back the next weekend, they wanted a 3500 deposit to get started and I left my wheels and tires there for fitment purposes. Everything seemed to be going off without a hitch until I got a call late one night from an employee telling me that he just overheard the owner trying to sell my wheels and tires and that I should come see what's going on??? So...the following Saturday morning I made the 3 hour drive out there to find the shop locked up, nobody around anywhere...neighbor saw me looking in the windows and told me they had moved everything in the middle of the night 2 days prior...gone....vanished...no contact info, no forwarding address, no new business location...took me about a year to find him through 1985 type PI investigation, by then he had filed bankruptcy...my money, Duster body, and wheels and tires were never found, in the end only thing I got to do was clean out his storage building which contained a set of Chevy bolt pattern 14" wide rear wheels and tires and a welded together Chevy Vega ladder bar, strut chassis that was bare and this was after I showed up at his new job making threats that could have gotten me thrown in jail. I think I got 1500 for everything I carried off that day...without a doubt the worst deal I ever got into....
Posted By: moparx

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 05:26 PM

should have left my humpback in the swamp [south carolina] where it was back in 73 or so........ but it's coming [VEERRRY slowly !] along. hope i can at least coast it down the street before i croak.......
beer

Attached picture scan0003.jpg
Attached picture IM001505.JPG
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By Jambbii
Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel

My kids are the reason I am probably not racing right now... I do take them to the track once in a while.

LOL...My kid is the reason why I AM racing now....well she's racing, I'm wrenching and paying....how's that work anyhow?...lol.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: If you knew then what you know now... - 03/05/18 06:39 PM

I'd have to say I wouldn't have sold my 64 Race car when I got married expecting to get back into it. Looking back I would have bought a roller at that time rather than plan on building another car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums