Moparts

Now I REALLY need an alternator..............

Posted By: Thumperdart

Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/25/18 07:54 PM

This old dog is finally giving up the ghost so I need a parts store not Jegs, Summit stuff so I can walk in and exchange it. Mine is a 60 amp Denso and was thinking a one wire GM may be the key so what part # are you guys running in at least a 90 amp range............thankxxx...... beer
Posted By: Tig

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/25/18 08:46 PM

Power Master 105 amp, modified to work with a DMI low mount bracket. Runs a grid, 2 x O2 sensors and a little data logging, Magnafuel 500, twin electric pusher fans, Moroso 35gph(?) electric w/p. All the lights barring the headlights are LED's.
HTH's
Posted By: Von

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/25/18 08:59 PM

I have a gm 😲😲, alt, think it is a cs105. Allegedly works better than a true single wire unit. Seems to be fine with dual fans, elec pump, lm2, ignition box, electric wp, etc. When fans kick on at night, headlights will dim just for a split second, nothing major.

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/25/18 09:52 PM

Thankxxx guys and I think I am going to try the Denso 80 amp here in a bit then go from there if I need more............ thumbs
Posted By: Forest

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/25/18 10:17 PM

http://arengineering.com/products/denso-60-amp-kit-big-block/

I've had this Toyota 4Runner Denso alternator on my street driven dart for 14-15 years.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 05:18 PM

I am running all of the same electronics as listed above by most & also using a Powermaster 105 Amp GM one wire with a custom low mount. Most of everything mounts to my front plate.

Attached picture rsz_20160414_201152.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 05:33 PM

I run a GM CS130 off of a 91 Olds Cutlass V6. It is 105 amp and has been rock solid for years and has lots of miles on it. I do not have it set up for one wire, I wired it with a charge light and a voltage sense wire from a diagram on the Mad electrical site.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 05:52 PM

I put those $80 chrome cs130 1 wire alts from ebay on everything
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 07:02 PM

I also have a GM 1 wire 100 amp.They didn't have 1 wire MOPAR units yet.One of these days I will install one of those light nip units! smoke

Attached picture 4.23.12 021.jpg
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 09:10 PM

Look for one off a 90 amp off a Toyota. I think a 2000ish 4 cyl camry might do the trick. Even if it has a serpentine, you have a v groove pulley to change it over.

Watch out for clearance at rear of alternator as they tend to get longer with more amps.

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By crackedback
Look for one off a 90 amp off a Toyota. I think a 2000ish 4 cyl camry might do the trick. Even if it has a serpentine, you have a v groove pulley to change it over.

Watch out for clearance at rear of alternator as they tend to get longer with more amps.

Found one but because it had a weird connector I passed and got another 60 amp like the one I had..........clocked different then the other one and 5 hours later to make brackets and rewire, this b%^&h better work or I'll get the GM unit............. realcrazy

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/26/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By Tig
Power Master 105 amp, modified to work with a DMI low mount bracket. Runs a grid, 2 x O2 sensors and a little data logging, Magnafuel 500, twin electric pusher fans, Moroso 35gph(?) electric w/p. All the lights barring the headlights are LED's.
HTH's

This alt keeps up fine now.............. beer
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 03:34 AM

1 wire GM 140 here. My Boyz despise of me for having a Bowtie part on my engine, but at least I'm not tying up traffic while stuck on the side of the road.
Lighter than the old Chrysler units as well.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 04:02 AM

I bettling the Nip is several lbs lighter scope
Posted By: RV2

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 05:41 AM

I Use the alternators off of late 80's/ early 90's ram trucks.
Have one on my 557" Hemi and one on my 383.

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 09:56 AM

Lighter and super happy with how it's working........... thumbs
Posted By: Butch

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By Forest
http://arengineering.com/products/denso-60-amp-kit-big-block/

I've had this Toyota 4Runner Denso alternator on my street driven dart for 14-15 years.

yep the only way to go
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/27/18 07:28 PM

I have a 60 amp Nippondenso off a 4-Runner. It puts out approximately 62 amps at full-field. With the MSD 6A, Two factory puller fans from an Intrepid, a single electric fuel pump, and a CSR reverse flow waterpump the draw is right at 60 amps at 70 degrees F., and I haven't turned the lights on yet.

If you're running a mechanical waterpump and fan then 60 amps should barely fit the bill. You really don't want to run the alternator at full-field, 80% is pushing it for heat considerations. Any more and you should step up.

Mine is mounted on an older DMI low mount with a few modifications.
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/28/18 04:33 AM

Denso is a much better alternator, It uses much larger bearings and will last much much longer than the CS130, delco, powermaster or who ever's. Delco on their later desighns copied a lot off the denso to make theirs better, double internal fans, smaller slip rings causing less wear. Denso is just all around a superior alternator
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/28/18 08:21 PM

Dom I used a 120 amp Denso on my big block 73 Dart. It’s for a 1990 5.2 Dodge van

Attached picture E401C835-7202-4004-BCBB-F797AB8F1AC2.png

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/28/18 10:28 PM

I like that.............. thumbs
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/30/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By mopar65
Dom I used a 120 amp Denso on my big block 73 Dart. It’s for a 1990 5.2 Dodge van

I don't know about that one, the image shows your battery is only at 19% runaway

Actually, those are what I use on most of my stuff and the 120 IS deeper than the 90 amp. Hook 'em up to the old school solid-state Chrysler regulators. I think anything pre-Magnum (~1992) will have V-groove pulley on it. Smaller diameter is much better if you plan to spin your engine fast. The old American designs were never intended to be on an engine running 7000 rpm.
twocents
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/30/18 08:10 PM

I get that it is simple havning only one wire to worry about but the denso is far more reliable, I own a full service auto repair shop and we replace more GM alternators than all others combined. Most mopars and [censored]/korean cars are running the denso and we hardly ever see them fail and when they do you can usually throw in a new set of contacts and get another 10 years out of em.

Re: Now I REALLY need an alternator.............. - 01/30/18 11:43 PM

Good to know and I love this little bad dog........... thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums