Moparts

heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears?

Posted By: fullmetaljacket

heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 06:34 AM

I thought that plastic timing chain gears in small blocks were introduced in the mid 70s or so, but was told by a friend that they were in as early as 71-72' What gives?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 07:15 AM

One, does it matter?? Two I'm pretty sure when I was 14 that the 65/66 b361 that was my first Car engine that I tore apart came with the plastic covered timing gears. So see no reason the SB,s wouldn't have the same.?? Don't know for sure , but don't care. up beer

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 01:52 PM

It's a concern if you are going to drive a car cross country after buying it and just a measure of insurance.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 03:19 PM

I had a 318 1970 dodge SW that had nylon gears in it. Threw the chain at 180k.

Joe
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 05:35 PM

Maybe if you were more specific about the vehicle you would get more info.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 05:48 PM

Ive seen time and heat cycles are more of a killer in the plastic gear them actual miles.

You might as well be concerned with the water pump and as well the alternator.

About a year ago I went and got a truck with 100k miles on it and had to replace both on the drive home, next time I will replace prior to the trip or pack a spare.

When I did tear it down, concerning the chain and plastic sprocket it was one of those "how did it make it" moments as it was worn, chipped and the chain hanging lower the a 100 year old mans nuts.

So even if possible spending a day to swap out some parts might be a thought, beats a auto zone parking lot like I had to do.

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

...and the chain hanging lower the a 100 year old mans nuts.

You been peeking? laugh2

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 06:04 PM

.and the chain hanging lower the a 100 year old mans nuts.
LOL.

The car in question is a 46K original 318 car, automatic. I'm driving it up from down south to New York City. My friend had a point though just like what was mentioned here, time. It's been now what... almost 50 years with an original drive train and it's not the drive, but the time that has probably dried up the plastic gears.
I'm making contingency plans on how to get it up here as we speak.
Speaking about time, that's just what I don't have. I would go down there and loiter for a few days to get it done properly..... if I had the time, but I have to get back here to the Zoo with work commitments.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 07:14 PM

My 68 Chargers original 318 had nylon teeth
Posted By: bobby66

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 08:24 PM

Don't forget to drop the oil pan and get the nylon chunks out of the oil p/u.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
It's a concern if you are going to drive a car cross country after buying it and just a measure of insurance.

LOL...I agree.

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/12/18 11:25 PM

I wouldnt worry about the timing chain with only 46 K on it.. Id be more worried about the Tires/ belts, is the Alt charging, when was the Last time it was driven?? Does the tranny still shift or is it all varnished up?? How old is the fuel in the tank, when was the fuel filter last changed, Stuff like that.

Yes the timing gear is old as well, But that would be very Low on the list of My worries.

Friend bought a 80, something impala/caprice not sure but it only had 34 K on it. but it sat for a Long time, it was a friends dad who passed away. Couldn't pass up the deal, got it home, realized the tranny wouldn't work in reverse very well and sometimes not at All. All the brake lines was rusted out and blew after the first week. Tires were All dry rotted. Calipers All froze up, rotors rusted as well. ETC,ETC

34,000 miles , he thought it would be almost like a new but just older car. Like I said, I wouldn't worry about the Timing chain. up
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 12:01 AM

They get pretty low at 60 LOL

Ok it was a bad idea to put those on engines--they were very susceptible
to failure if not from miles just heat and age--I am thinking it was done to quite noise--Noise I have never heard but anyway

The COOL thing is when you read about one of the greatest engine innovators that ever lived Grump Jenkins Jenkins Competition--Sox's worst nightmare and a guy that could wring more HP and performance out of a stock block deal than almost anyone--well The small block Chevy Pro Stock engines he ruled the earth with had that $12 plastic teeth timing set on his $$$$$$$$ Pro Stocker with tunnel ram turning over 8000 RPM and the reason was---wait for it--- He said it acted like then banned belt drive --actually absorbing ( or not transmitting) bad harmonics between valve train and the rest of the engine That is EXACTLY what a belt drive does--you can gain valve train stability and thus gain HP by separating the valve train from the rest with a belt drive--they are used for no other reason by knowing builders when legal Otherwise there is just no reason to run one You can observe 318 SS combos where they run one and that is why---

But----they are engine "fuses" or as I believe Pieces of JUNK

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 12:35 AM

Car had 30K from the original owner, only about 3k a year. Second owner now put another 16k on the counter.
New tires.
Brakes all around were put on three years back, but he only drives it a few miles here and there. AC works. Body is straight. I will see .
Posted By: topside

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 12:52 AM

First time I saw a plastic/nylon timing gear was the '70s; it was on a SB Chevy that was probably already a few years old, hard to recall.
Every time I've seen one that's failed, it was crazed & cracked. I would guess that's from sitting & drying out, but it's only a theory...
Posted By: rickraw

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 03:12 AM

If u r worried why not trailer it back.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 06:53 AM

Banzai run! Go for it!
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 07:10 AM

Check shipping rates. You’ve got snow and salt to play in on this drive.

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 08:48 AM

Car had 30K from the original owner, only about 3k a year. Second owner now put another 16k on the counter.
New tires.
Brakes all around were put on three years back, but he only drives it a few miles here and there. AC works. Body is straight. I will see .

Well you can chock the worries of timing gear failure off your list for Sure, for the drive up north. Now All the other things that could go possibly wrong, Nope. up

Its good that the car has been driven around some. Even from coming down south, the humid south, rusty crusty brake/fuel lines can still be a issue. New 3 year old brakes ,don't mean new brake lines. A car as old as your talking about must have drums. A 3 year old brake disc brake job up here in Ohio barely driven means most likely rusted/frozen calipers.

Still need to , check Belts/hoses/rubber fuel lines, for the long cruise, if you buy it.

Also, if you buy it, do a oil and filter change for the long ride home. Couldnt hurt.

Also, what new car are we talking about maybe?? up
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 03:13 PM

.and the chain hanging lower the a 100 year old mans nuts.
LOL.

The car in question is a 46K original 318 car, automatic. I'm driving it up from down south to New York City. My friend had a point though just like what was mentioned here, time. It's been now what... almost 50 years with an original drive train and it's not the drive, but the time that has probably dried up the plastic gears.
I'm making contingency plans on how to get it up here as we speak.
Speaking about time, that's just what I don't have. I would go down there and loiter for a few days to get it done properly..... if I had the time, but I have to get back here to the Zoo with work commitments.

If you only knew a guy with a tow truck that could haul it for you. work

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By Sport440
New tires.

Also, what new car are we talking about maybe?? up

Apparently it's a closely guarded secret. laugh2

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 04:41 PM

Closely guarded secret is that I finally took in some sleep while you guys hammered away. LOL.
The car is a 4 door 71' Coronet. 318 with air, crank up windows just the way I like 'em and bench seat.
I must admit, I Like the Satellites and Sebrings better with their handsome looks for the grill area and rear lights/bumper.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By moparpollack
If you only knew a guy with a tow truck that could haul it for you. work

He might...

Attached picture IMG_0542.JPG
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 04:57 PM

More door B bodies can be cool in a '70's TV cop show sorta way.

Attached picture more door 71 Coronet.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/13/18 10:46 PM

I really think 4 doors are the next wave
I remember when wagons and C Bods were donors and junkers but hey TTI makes headers for C Bods now so only matter of time until 4 Doors is all some can or want to afford You let me see a good one cheap and I will jump on it
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/15/18 10:51 PM

Not really related, but did several small block Chevy engines where the timing chain was so loose it wore holes in the timing chain cover. Those covers are alot cheaper than small block Mopar covers.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/16/18 02:00 AM

Look at it this way, if you drive it and it doesn't make it, it will be cheaper to ship the rest of the way! Throw an alternator in your suitcase and go get it!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/16/18 02:15 AM

Probably ought to replace it soon.

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-for...45/#post-508844
Posted By: ProSport

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/16/18 03:40 AM

Did the nylon gears come in low deck 383's?
When I was a teenager I had a 383 '69 Coronet. Constantly got towed home due to loss of oil pressure.
I was told the oil pickup and/or oil passages were getting clogged with nylon pieces. Sold car and never opened the engine up to look.
Posted By: moparx

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/16/18 04:40 PM

yep. 383's got 'em too. i have a set still on the shelf from a 15k, 69 engine that looks like new. that set was taken out when this particular engine was "day two'ed", headers, dp4b intake/780 holley, racer brown ssh25 cam, roller chain and re-curved distributor. my 66 charger had that set as well. it went by,by with ???k, so i replaced it with a 413. that inland shifter sucked. was replaced with a hurst comp+, but i quickly found out i can't shift for s**t. laugh2 these were "back in the day" when these cars were almost new.
beer
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: heard contradicting news about plastic timing chain gears? - 01/16/18 04:54 PM

Bottom line is those gears are good for usually at least 100,000, but with their age, all bets are off. I like them cause they are quite, but are really hard to find new now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums