Moparts

indy max block oiling

Posted By: plycuda

indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 02:06 AM

I saw them talking about drillng out the holes in between the lifters. Did anybody try it and run yet to see if it helped. I'm about to put mine together and want to try something first.
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 02:28 AM

Did you get the block drilled for pushrod oiling?

Attached picture 5063568-_WI_0326.jpg

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 02:40 AM

no, I'm gona try the spray bars. I tryed to call indy' that was before they bought predator and they acted like their normal self. told me those heads are junk and gave me a bunch of crap so I decided they aren't getting any of my money. I bet now that they are making them they are the greatest things in the world.

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 03:02 AM

You may have a problem burning up pushrods with the spray bars!you could build a oil manifold
with brake line and drill and tap every lifter bore to pushrod oil! I have seen It done many times before!

Attached picture 5063665-_WI_0326.jpg
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 03:16 AM

Many, many seasons with spray bars, no problems, a friend of mine has been running them at least 5 years longer than me, never replaced a single valve train part. No need to drill the lifter bores for this.
I do suggest running ball/ball end push rods though. And have cup adjusters..

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 03:22 AM

I also ran spray bars for years with my 440-1 heads,But that was with valve springs that were
much weaker than the ones that I currently run (1290lbs open)or the ones that plycuda runs!

Attached picture 5063709-_WI_0326.jpg
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 03:28 AM

Valve springs will be the last thing to burn up from lack of oil....
I ran spring pressures, near 800lbs open pressure. IMO I don't see a bunch of extra heat coming off the valve springs due to more spring pressure. If anything gets burnt up, it will be the little parts in the top, push rod cups, adjusters etc. I know personally 4-5 guys running the Jesel stuff with zero problems besides me. Just stating my experiences..
Posted By: go green

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 03:56 AM

Quote:

You may have a problem burning up pushrods with the spray bars!you could build a oil manifold
with brake line and drill and tap every lifter bore to pushrod oil! I have seen It done many times before!

Like this.

Attached picture 5063808-4949088-2009cuda033.jpg

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 04:07 AM

I was refuring to the excessive spring pressure burning up pushrod tips and spring cups because of
lack of pressurized oil!My INDY stuff lived a long time with spray bars and valve springs that were 850lb. open! I wouldent even attempt a spray bar with what I have now!

Attached picture 5063834-_WI_0326.jpg
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 04:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Like this.

Yikes, I want to switch my Indy block to push rod oiling. Is this the only way to do it?
Posted By: ts racer

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 05:23 AM

Spray bars are fine, their are many guys running low 7's with spray bars with no problems..
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 11:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Like this.

Wow that's alot of hassle for pushrod oiling
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 01:10 PM

I agree with TS, spray bars work just fine. Use quality parts, pay attention to detail and everything works just fine. If I had to maniflod/plumb a block like that, I'd just have it drilled out. Thats a lot of work, but I am sure it works.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 02:49 PM

Can any standard block be drilled for push rod oiling, and does anyone have a pic?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 02:54 PM

Why not just drill the block for hydraulic lifter oiling?It's the same as stock oiling.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 04:22 PM

Quote:

Why not just drill the block for hydraulic lifter oiling?It's the same as stock oiling.

Didn't even know there was a difference, please explain, because my last one ate evry push rod I put in it.

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 04:50 PM

Indy blocks can be drilled(blanks at rear of block)for conventional lifter oiling passages.Drilling is done from the back to the front passing through each lifter bore,a must for hydraulic lifter or pushrod oiling.Indy offers this on their aluminum blocks for $250.A competent machine shop can also do the job.

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 06:16 PM

I called a bunch of machine shops and all of them said they can't do it. after talking to indy like I said they will not get any of my money.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 06:25 PM

Muscle Motors Bushed and drilled mine for pushrod oiling

just be prepared to wait a really long time to get anything worked on back from them

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

I called a bunch of machine shops and all of them said they can't do it. after talking to indy like I said they will not get any of my money.

I wouldn't let the best heart surgeon operate on me if I didn't like his attitude either.

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 10:41 PM

The main thing I was looking for is if any one tried drilling out the holes in the block or slotting them and did it help for drain down. I was thinking of drilling a couple holes in the front where the stock block is open to the front where the distributor is to give it a place for it to draw air from the vac pump and that might help the oil to drain down easier.
Posted By: joez

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 11:28 PM

Weston Machine in NJ can drill the block for pushrod oiling. I don't remember how much it was, but it was fairly expensive. They have to plug all the lifter bores so the drill doesn't wander, then remove the plugs and bush the bores.

I drilled and tapped mine and made a manifold and never had any problems.

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/02/09 11:39 PM

weston is one of the ones lee edwards told me to call because they do some of his block work and the guy said he used to do it but he won't do it any more he said it was to much of a pain because of plugging all the lifter bores.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: indy max block oiling - 03/03/09 02:18 AM

Quote:

The main thing I was looking for is if any one tried drilling out the holes in the block or slotting them and did it help for drain down. I was thinking of drilling a couple holes in the front where the stock block is open to the front where the distributor is to give it a place for it to draw air from the vac pump and that might help the oil to drain down easier.

Thats what I did with the front but I think I am going to do the heads or the back of the valley this year with an lines. For the most part our sport is forward motion.
© 2024 Moparts Forums