Moparts

Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ??

Posted By: galen

Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 06:10 AM

Which can I use in a 400 block with stock lifter bores? For a street car. .420 lobe lift. Wanting to run a bushing type solid roller lifter instead of needle bearings. Tried the Morel bushing roller lifters in an unbushed World block and they would not build oil pressure, not sure if they would be another stock block option or not. Price on all 3 brands are in the 1200$ range so price is not an issue.
. Thanks, Galen
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 01:55 PM

Sounds like the oil galley is getting uncovered at some point. Did you check this?
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 04:29 PM

I had that issue on one of my engines - start up had good oil pressure - 80 then it fell at idle to 10 pounds, came up and stayed at 70-80 down the track.

I pulled the intake on the engine stand and drained the oil and installed clean diesel fuel and primed the engine to simulate hot thin oil.

I had a torrential rainstorm going on - seems the roller lifters had the lightening groove a tad too low when on the base circle and when originally priming the engine during the build I missed this. Used a set of old Engles and problem fixed.

It amazes me that the manufacturers can't / won't develop a design that allows lightening the lifter without offering this risk for those that don't bush their bores.

Maybe they do now and I haven't seen them.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 06:23 PM

I'm not impressed with the Isky's. The outside diameter varied by up to .002 from one lifter to the next, taper and out of round were up to .0007. I sent one set back, the replacement was slightly better. It's hard to set lifter to bore clearance when the lifter size is all over the place.

Also, Isky told me I can run the EZ roll max in stock lifter bores. That was dead wrong, they bled off to much oil pressure because the cut-away area was too close to the top of the bore.
Posted By: Old School

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
I'm not impressed with the Isky's. The outside diameter varied by up to .002 from one lifter to the next, taper and out of round were up to .0007. I sent one set back, the replacement was slightly better. It's hard to set lifter to bore clearance when the lifter size is all over the place.

Also, Isky told me I can run the EZ roll max in stock lifter bores. That was dead wrong, they bled off to much oil pressure because the cut-away area was too close to the top of the bore.

I run the isky EZ roll Max lifters, in three stock blocks with a large roller cam, with zero issues and for many years.....
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 07:39 PM

I had/have serious issues with Isky EZroll lifters alloqing too much oil up top,even with ,040 restricters in the pushrods. Still looking for ways to limit oil flow.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By Old School
Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel

I run the isky EZ roll Max lifters, in three stock blocks with a large roller cam, with zero issues and for many years.....

Interesting... Perhaps it depends on the cam, and how deep the lifter sits in the bore and/or the configuration of lifter bore itself. In my situation it was a 1966 Hemi block with a .700 lift roller cam. Oil was flowing out of the valley like Niagara Falls. I put in Comp solid body lifters and it solved it.
Posted By: galen

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/28/17 09:55 PM

Thank you guys. I could have the block bushed. Just not sure if this would be a good idea for mainly street use. No one local does lifter bushings that I know of.
Rockers will be shaft oiled Harland Sharps.
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 01:07 AM

I only use the Crowers. Never had an issue.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 01:09 AM

You can buy three sets of Comps for the same $$
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 03:55 AM

I'm running into the low oil pressure on my non bushed bracket 400 stroker build with Comp Cams AMC lifters for pushrod oiling to help oil the Jesel paired shaft rocker sets. I was told to block off the oil galley side oil hole, which I didn't realcrazy Luckily I bought a spare set of the offset intake lifters so I can block those off now to see if that helps fix it or not luck I am also using a set of Indy spray bar valve covers to make sure that the rockers and valve springs get enough oil, I didn't have Manton restrict the oil holes in the pushrods either realcrazy
I primed it yesterday and saw that this motor only has 20 Lbs. on the drill motor when I see 75+ Lbs. on other motors with standard single shaft rocker arms and the same oiling system work
I have the valley cover off the motor now to change the lifters so I will try priming it first with the oil to the valve covers disconnected to see how much that helps or not luck
I'll make another post later about this adventure, once I get it fixed properly luck grin
On your deal I would, and have since, bought the Crowers solid body Ultra roller lifters after having some of the cheaper Mopar brand solid roller lifters break the wheels in to two parts and screw up the cam lobe runaway puke Buy the best ones you can afford once, now up
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 06:22 PM

Isky here. 0.420" lobe. No issue in unbushed block.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 06:34 PM

Quote:
I'm running into the low oil pressure on my non bushed bracket 400 stroker build with Comp Cams AMC lifters for pushrod oiling to help oil the Jesel paired shaft rocker sets. I was told to block off the oil galley side oil hole, which I didn't

The Comp "AMC" lifters are 861-16, and have the oil hole parallel to the axle....... There is no oil hole on the oil gallery side. The holes are front and rear.

If you're using the 892 series lifters, those are designed for Chevy applications where a .904 lifter is preferred.
Those have the oil holes perpendicular to the axles.

Another option for roller lifters without needle bearings are the Comp Sportsman series.
Non-pushrod oiling...... Number: 96829B-16.
A couple hundred less $$$ than the Isky's.

To the OP, I would pull the intake off to gain access to the valley so I could verify just where the leakage past the lifters is occurring while priming, before I ordered different lifters.
Posted By: 1baddart

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 06:52 PM

I just had the same issue with Lunati lifters bleeding past...I ended up buying bushed crower and it fixed the problem
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 07:12 PM

I use the Comp Cams AMC lifters in my engines with pushrod oiling. They work fine in an unbushed block up to about .470 or .480 lobe lift. No issues with oiling. The Comps are fairly inexpensive and you can get them rebuilt for a decent price.

I tried Crower lifters at one point and had an issue with Crower putting the oil holes in the wrong location. They wouldn't take the lifters back and wouldn't refund the money so I had to sell the lifters to a guy with a bushed block. I've also had problems dealing with Isky in the past so these days I just run the Comp lifters and get them rebuilt on a regular basis.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Crower Enduramax or Isky EZ roll. ?? - 12/29/17 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I'm running into the low oil pressure on my non bushed bracket 400 stroker build with Comp Cams AMC lifters for pushrod oiling to help oil the Jesel paired shaft rocker sets. I was told to block off the oil galley side oil hole, which I didn't realcrazy Luckily I bought a spare set of the offset intake lifters so I can block those off now to see if that helps fix it or not luck I am also using a set of Indy spray bar valve covers to make sure that the rockers and valve springs get enough oil, I didn't have Manton restrict the oil holes in the pushrods either realcrazy
I primed it yesterday and saw that this motor only has 20 Lbs. on the drill motor when I see 75+ Lbs. on other motors with standard single shaft rocker arms and the same oiling system work
I have the valley cover off the motor now to change the lifters so I will try priming it first with the oil to the valve covers disconnected to see how much that helps or not luck
I'll make another post later about this adventure, once I get it fixed properly luck grin
On your deal I would, and have since, bought the Crowers solid body Ultra roller lifters after having some of the cheaper Mopar brand solid roller lifters break the wheels in to two parts and screw up the cam lobe runaway puke Buy the best ones you can afford once, now up

Cab, after putting in restricted pushrods my oil pressure was fine warmed up in the pits, but dropped off some during the run, like down to 50 psi with 20w50 vr1. I am still woeking on a fix. I Have a bushed megablock with .060 holes in the bushings to the oil galleys, Isky EZrolls with two holes in lifter body to pick up oil, .040 restricted manton pushrods, and Jesel rockers on 440-1 heads. I shut off the spratbar oiling before the last test.
© 2024 Moparts Forums