Moparts

Aluminum fuel cell cleaning

Posted By: rowin4

Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/18/17 11:01 PM

I bought a used aluminum fuel cell. I removed the foam from the inside to check out the condition of the foam I looks good with no apparent deterioration. The cell itself must of had gas setting in it for a long time as the inside is scaly about half way up the sides. Need ideas on how to remove the scale. Chemical or blasting?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/18/17 11:28 PM

Use some 400 grit sand paper
wave
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/19/17 12:28 AM

Get some aluma bright from a truck stop or ebag.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/19/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By rickraw
Get some aluma bright from a truck stop or ebag.

how would that work if you can't get your hand inside to polish it ? or is this an etch type liquid ? sorry to sound so dum.....
beer

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/20/17 12:59 AM

It's a mild cleaning acid. It won't eat the aluminum.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/20/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By rickraw
It's a mild cleaning acid. It won't eat the aluminum.

up thanks ! you just learned an old dog something new. [now if i can just remember it....]
beer

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 02:37 AM

I sent off a e-mail and asked if their aluma brite would remove the scale build up inside the tank cause by old gas. Their reply was to use Sta-Bil . Little to late for that.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 03:22 AM

Chief aircraft and Aircraft Spruce both sell a liquid aluminum corrosion remover, maybe the name is Aladyne confused Maybe not it's been way to long since I've bought and use it on my old airplane shruggy It works very well doing that corrosion scale removing up
Call them to get some twocents
I have also used Eagle Cast Aluminum wheel cleaner on intakes to clean them up so they look good work shruggy
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Chief aircraft and Aircraft Spruce both sell a liquid aluminum corrosion remover, maybe the name is Aladyne confused Maybe not it's been way to long since I've bought and use it on my old airplane shruggy It works very well doing that corrosion scale removing up
Call them to get some twocents
I have also used Eagle Cast Aluminum wheel cleaner on intakes to clean them up so they look good work shruggy

Sold by the brand name Alodine.

Link -> Alodine

Also available on Amazon.

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 07:51 AM

That isn't the product I'm thinking of, I believe that is a sealer and corrosion preventer, not the corrosion remover I'm thinking of blush

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 06:24 PM

Must be that Aircraft and Mopar are synonyms . I could buy a new fuel cell for what their products cost. Still didn't find anything that will work for removing dried gas build up.

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 06:42 PM

Try some easyoff oven cleaner. It takes burnt oil off coated headers if u let it soak for a while. Give it a shot.

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 08:33 PM

No way in the world would I use Easy Off, or any oven cleaner,on aluminum, unless I wanted it to disappear twocents work tsk
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4
Ml. Still didn't find anything that will work for removing dried gas build up.

Try some carb cleaner.. I like chemtool's B12..
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 08:48 PM

Metal Prep by Amchem has an aluminum formula. I cleaned an intake, but I also could scrub. I don't know if it works by dwelling or not.

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/23/17 10:16 PM

It doesn't harm aluminum, I tried it.

Re: Aluminum fuel cell cleaning - 12/24/17 02:05 AM

That really surprises me, I would have sworn I remember some one screwing up a AFB by spraying it with Easy Off to clean it confused
© 2024 Moparts Forums