Moparts

Spray bar valve covers

Posted By: 301v

Spray bar valve covers - 12/11/17 09:29 PM

1st question would be do you like spray bar valve covers or pushrod oiling and why?

And also those with spray bar covers where are you putting the fitting for the vacuum pump in the valve cover?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/11/17 09:37 PM

The typical Indy spray bar valve cover has the tube located right up against the inboard side of the V/C, and they spray straight down onto the rockers, so you can still put the vac pump fitting pretty much anywhere you like.

If you can get lifters that won't allow the top end to be over oiled, then my preference would be to pushrod oil.
This assumes you'll be running rockers that are pushrod oiling compatible.

That being said, I have several customers running Jesel rockers with the spray bar oiling, and none of them has ever had any issues with that system.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/11/17 09:48 PM

I had issues burning pushrods with the Indy spray bar valve covers so I switched to pushrod oiling. I left the spray bars so I oil both ways. I might turn off the spray bar oiling at some point to see if I still need it.

My recommendation is to use pushrod oiling if you can. If you can't then the spray bar might work for you. As Dwayne says, some folks use the spry bar oiling without any issues so evidently it can be sorted out and made to work.
Posted By: Old School

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/12/17 01:05 AM

I have run spray Bar Oiling on both of my big motors. Both with .800" cams. Never any problems with wear and both are street cars. I think that setup helps cool the valve springs, which is good on a street car.....
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/12/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By Old School
I have run spray Bar Oiling on both of my big motors. Both with .800" cams. Never any problems with wear and both are street cars. I think that setup helps cool the valve springs, which is good on a street car.....

What spring pressure and lifters are you using for .800 lift to live in the street??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/12/17 08:26 PM

My next bracket motor, 400 block, 4.300 stroke, Indy CNC ported 440-1 heads with Jesel paired rockers has both pushrod oiling and spray bars,no restrictors except what is in the covers with the fittings they come with.
These Jesel rocker arms come with hollow adjusters with no provisions for pressure oiling the shafts, roller tips or any thing else shock
I called Jesel about this and they insist that splash oiling from the pushrods is more then enough to oil this system confused luck
I haven't ran this motor yet, I'll post more about it after I put it on the dyno or in the car luck
Posted By: Old School

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/13/17 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Originally Posted By Old School

What spring pressure and lifters are you using for .800 lift to live in the street??

I use Iskys bushed E-Z roll max lifters. They are the only lifters that have ever lasted on the street for me. Needle bearing lifters always failed on me.

Springs are PAC 1224. 275# @ 2" approx 850#@ full lift. I change them out every couple years......
Posted By: nippy1969

Re: Spray bar valve covers - 12/21/17 05:27 PM

I don't mean to hijack the post, but I was just about to list a brand new pair of spray bar valve covers INDY 440-V2-8S on eBay. Anybody interested before I list them? $449 from Mancini, I'll sell these for $375. I bought them new from Indy for a project that never materialized.

Call or text me if your interested

Mike 262-227-4984
© 2024 Moparts Forums