Moparts

Race car insurance, how many guys have it.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/28/17 10:40 PM

Thinking about picking up a policy for my small tire car when its up and running.

http://www.dragzine.com/features/risky-b...acing-insurance
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/28/17 11:24 PM

I do, costs around $650 a year for off track insurance.

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/28/17 11:26 PM

Heacock classic
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/28/17 11:44 PM

I may finally get some next yr,Haggerty was around 400 for a yr full coverage[25k$]
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/28/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By camastomcat

Quote:
I may finally get some next yr,Haggerty was around 400 for a yr full coverage25k$

I believe the OP is asking about insurance that would cover the car in the event of an on-track incident. Neither of the above are "race car" insurance policies.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 12:25 AM

I have a stated value policy on the car for here at the shop, in the trailer and at the track while not racing up
I had a issue with the front bumper getting hung up on the trailer loading door support wire that tore the bumper, grill and other body parts up at the races loading it up and the insurance covered it with no hassle up
I did find out that company does NOT insure race cars of any type but on my policy it says "race car" confused I have two cars on that policy also so maybe that has something to do with insuring the Cuda shruggy
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By EV2DEMON
Originally Posted By camastomcat

Quote:
I may finally get some next yr,Haggerty was around 400 for a yr full coverage25k$

I believe the OP is asking about insurance that would cover the car in the event of an on-track incident. Neither of the above are "race car" insurance policies.

I got a quote from Bill Lutz that was about the same for on track.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 01:15 AM

I didn't, but would certainly consider it now. Friend of mine had coverage on a fast bracket car. Was able to replace it and keep racing after totaling it in an on-track incident.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 01:49 AM

I have that old Hemi insured through Horton Insurance, who writes a lot of off track insurance. The carrier is Great American. Covered everywhere except the waterbox and the race track. About $600 per year.....
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 02:44 AM

none... at this point it gets wrecked watch for cheap parts ads in the race parts section.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 03:09 AM

"Insurance" is a really big category, and "full coverage" means nothing unless it's specified in the policy. Not what the agent told you, not what the ad said. I read Supreme Court decisions for 20 years 9-5 M-F that allowed insurance companies to deny claims: the policy didn't cover what happened and the holder didn't know it.
Stolen, burned, or crashed is limited to the value of the car and fairly cheap.
If you hit someone (no upper limit, death starts at $1 million) you're going to need liability coverage - much more expensive.
Medical insurance for injuries you suffer in the car may not be included in either one.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 05:59 AM

Don't know of any that cover any injury or death, only property - the car. Especially these days.

I had an insurance guy come in the shop years ago to see about selling me life insurance. Saw the race cars, said "You race?". I said "yep". He left.

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 06:03 AM

All I can say is, on track is going to be north or $2500 annually, depending on how much you are insuring it for. And my policy does cover my dragster for $60,000 if stolen, lost in a fire, on the road, etc.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 06:44 AM

I’m with most others here, insured through Haggarty but it’s not covered on track. I’ve just always figured it’s a chance you take. I do, however, believe that my car is safer at the track than it is out on the streets.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 04:35 PM

I do and have for many years. Most of the policies are underwritten ultimately by LLoyds of London. As pointed out on track insurance has gotten to be a lot more expensive that it was a few years ago. Seems those heads up grudge guys found out they could insure their stuff and took advantage of that. Insurance for everywhere but on track is usually pretty reasonable. It is all done on a declared/stated value basis. Cost varies depending on dollar value assigned but IMO is quite reasonable. I also know a few people who have filed claims and ALL were paid very quickly and for full stated value.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 04:55 PM

I have had my Dart for 35 years and it was only insured for a brief period when i drove it on the street when I first bought it. I never had insurance on it after that as it has been a race car. My wife was after me for years to get some type of insurance on it because if anything happened to it you would be heart broken and all the years of work and money spent would be gone. she is 100% right. At Carlisle a few years ago Heacock had a booth and offered race car insurance for everything except on track. i finally earlier this year insured my Dart and my D150 as it now has historic plates ( over 25 years old in N.J. ) for less than $500 a year. They were very helpful and great to deal with. Living in N.J. with the highest car insurance rates in the country my D150 alone was over $800 a year now its about a quarter of that. My Dart is insured for $25,000 and my D150 $8,000.

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 05:04 PM

Horton insurance for me. Had it for about 5 years now. $850/yr, but includes my trailer and all contents. Stated value of $65K on the race car. Not bad considering my regular insurance company wants $400 just for my trailer that almost never leaves my driveway.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/29/17 07:17 PM

I've heard (but not read) that some auto liability coverage (against someone you injure) covers you in any car you drive (rented, borrowed, stolen) but: unknown if this includes "non-street" use.
Again: this is where the agent assures you that it does, even though he can't find that text in your policy.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 11/30/17 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67
I’m with most others here, insured through Haggarty but it’s not covered on track. I’ve just always figured it’s a chance you take. I do, however, believe that my car is safer at the track than it is out on the streets.

Same here as I am with Hagerty also. And it covers my car on the street but as far as I know I am on my own when I race as I dont believe it covers anything when I am racing. Ron
Posted By: BobR

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 12/01/17 06:03 PM

I had on track last year. Premium was about 6 grand for 125k coverage. This year the same policy went up 2 grand. No claim. I initially got it then reconsidered when I bought my Pro Mod. I used the remaining unused coverage to insure both of my cars off-track only. Deductible was 10%. Lutz is my agent.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 12/01/17 06:16 PM

I guess that’s what I will be leaning towards (off track coverage) and getting some coverage on the new car Trailer I bought this year. Looks like on track comes at a high premium
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 12/01/17 07:48 PM

I have Hagerty as well. Street ins but does cover in the pits. On the track yur on yur own. I think mine was $340/yr 0 deductable with $15000 coverage.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Race car insurance, how many guys have it. - 12/01/17 07:59 PM

When I had that my cars were covered all the time except when within 100 ft of the track. On track insurance was double. Both premiums seemed cheap to me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums