Moparts

Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame?

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 02:50 PM

I have rebuilt my front suspension, boxed my LCA's, reinforced my K frame and steering box mount, welded hefty subframe connectors in.. and the thought started rolling around my head, weld the k frame to the sub frame? Has anyone done this? It's just a thought that flashed in my brain that has no experience or research to back it up, so i thought I'd ask here, would it have any benefit like improved rigidity?
Posted By: KOS

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 03:57 PM

I pretty sure Hemi Fred did that in his duster.....I think I still may have pix.try a search using his name you'll probably find it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 05:32 PM

IMHO the attachment points, and the frame and K strength at these points, is very good - which means it won't be better welded.
But it will be a service headache.
Could a lighter K be designed that required welding? Could be.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 06:28 PM

Sure, 40 years ago that is how the NASCAR boys built their cars. They moved the K frame up into the frame rails and welded it all together.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 08:17 PM

I have seen it done, along with moving attachment points in the frame rail to cheat the wheelbase forward, and other tricks. I don't believe there would be an advantage strength wise and I wouldn't paint myself into a corner by doing it myself.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 08:27 PM

If you have rubber idolators in there now
just put in alum mounts to make it stiff..
dont weld it up... just a PITA.. if you are
steel now you wont gain anything.. just make
sure the bolts are tight so it doesnt move
around
wave
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 08:41 PM

I don't think there was any benefit in mine, but I Tig welded the K to the frame longitudes and have titanium bolts holding in place of the stock ones to the frame. Very stiff I must say, but if I ever had to service it as in replacing the K, I would have to cut away the tig beads with a Dremel in order for it to detach.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Has anyone welded their K frame to sub frame? - 11/26/17 08:46 PM

What year car? If it is a 71, or older it already has special shoulder bolts in it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums