Moparts

Help with a problem on my 440

Posted By: modelmakerinc

Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 01:40 AM

Hey all, I was taking my car out for cruise night and as I was leaving I noticed a water leak from under #3 & #5 exhaust port.

I am thinking it is a head gasket and the water is wicking up the head bolt?, or what where would this be coming from.

big pic sorry about the size but I wanted you to get a good look.

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 01:56 AM

Simple, your exhaust header stud is leaking, thats all. You need to disco the header, (just from the head), remove the stud (may as well do all) and re-install with thread sealant on the studs.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 02:09 AM

It is very common to have a 2" long horizontal crack in the cylinder head under the center exhaust ports. I'd bet a dollar that's what it is... sorry!

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 02:22 AM

It is not the studs, I use hi temp silicone on the header flange because of poor welding/ sealing of the headers. if it is the head, How can I confirm without dissasembly.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 02:38 AM

if you want to bring it by the shop, i'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 02:47 AM

Did you put those studs in dry? It would only take a few minutes to pull that stud and replace it with a header bolt with a dab of silicone on it.

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 02:51 AM

believe it or not the studs are original to the heads, I requested the machine shop to leave them installed throughout the process. I can assure you they are not leaking.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 03:21 AM

Quote:

It is very common to have a 2" long horizontal crack in the cylinder head under the center exhaust ports. I'd bet a dollar that's what it is... sorry!

I have seen around a dozen or more 906 heads with cracks under the center exhaust ports, it is a weak point in the engine design IMO. People will drain the block and not install antifreeze, especially racers. The heads have a water passage under the exhaust ports that does not drain and ends up freezing causing the crack I have seen machine shops(non Mopar knowleable usually) miss those cracks when the inspect and magnaflux those heads
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 03:25 AM

Looks like a good excuse to put some better heads on it....
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 03:36 AM

for a minor leak like that I would dump a jug of Bars leak or other good sealer into it and forget it. It will seal with no problem I am sure. Seen worse ones than that sealed and never give any sign of a problem.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 03:44 AM

Quote:

for a minor leak like that I would dump a jug of Bars leak or other good sealer into it and forget it. It will seal with no problem I am sure. Seen worse ones than that sealed and never give any sign of a problem.

.... sure wont hurt to dump a can in
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 04:37 AM

i think you are gonna find a crack. common place for it.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Help with a problem on my 440 - 02/28/09 10:45 AM

Quote:

i think you are gonna find a crack. common place for it.

I had the exact same problem on a set of 906 heads. Thought it was leaking around the head bolts, nope, cracked head.
© 2024 Moparts Forums