Moparts

Shoping for race shifter

Posted By: Quickrunner

Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 06:19 PM

looking at shifters for my Demon build. Think I have it narrowed down to the PPP or the B&M stealth pro ratchet. There is a 3rd the new M&M transmissions one that's very nice but just cant justify the price on that one. I don't care for the Quarter Stick style where you have to pull trigger on the 2/3 shift. Also don't want the old design Winters/turbo action gated style. This will be a manual rev valve body as I like 1st next to N. It will also be mounted on stalk that comes up from under front of bench seat. I was used to pulling to shift on my winters in the roadrunner but may go with push to shift if I decide on the PPP. Any suggestions on something I may have missed or input if you run any of these is welcome.

Attached picture shiftermount.jpg
Attached picture shiftermount3.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 06:56 PM

I have a PPP KS2 push shift new in the box. I ordered it off their website for rear exit cable from the shifter and rear entry on the trans. (I have very little room for a front entry cable on the trans) Got it and it is front entry on the trans. I called PPP and was told the push shift cannot have a rear entry cable. Their website was not very clear about that at the time. Other than that, it's a beautiful shifter.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 07:37 PM

I also have the PPP KS2 push shift new in the box for my Challenger.

Attached picture kshiftsmall.jpg
Posted By: humpty

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 07:52 PM

I switched from a gated shifter to a Stealth Pro Ratchet this year and love it. I mounted mine up high like yours would be and its the most comfortable shifter I've ever had. And - it looks great! Oh - awesome build you have going there! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Attached picture Shifter zoomed.jpg
Posted By: tex013

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 10:41 PM

I run the standard pro ratchet , very happy . I raised it using box tube . Not sure a PPP will fit with bench seat ?

Tex
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 11:16 PM

By far my favorite is the quarter stick. I like you have to pull the trigger to go into third.
Have a Turbo action now, don't like it near as much.
To me the quarter stick is bulletproof.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 11:23 PM

PPP FTW!
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/24/17 11:33 PM

I like the ppp shifters never have to worry about missing a shift. do not like ratchet type. with six race cars in the family and only one with ppp push type I didn't like it so I took it apart and made it a pull. Love it now. PPP by far is one of the best quality.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 12:16 AM

Pro Ratchet FTW.

Attached picture interior two.jpg
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 01:24 AM

I have 2 PPP shifters both push.

One is a ks2 rear exit on the shifter, front connection to the trans.

The other is a KS1 front exit on the shfter, rear on the trans.

I like this set up, but it uses a little longer cable.
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
I have 2 PPP shifters both push.

One is a ks2 rear exit on the shifter, front connection to the trans.

The other is a KS1 front exit on the shfter, rear on the trans.

I like this set up, but it uses a little longer cable.

Have a pic of either shifter?
and
The KS2 is rear cable exit and front connection?
There a pic of that ?

Thanks
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 02:14 AM

B&M Pro Ratchet. No worrying about going 1st to 3rd with this shifter, because you can't.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 02:19 AM

scored a PPP clean N used and it will be the last shifter I need (I've had three). Mines a rear exit at shifter, rear entry at trans pull to shift w/t air. If photobucket didn't change I'd post up plenty of picts.
Posted By: '68cuda416

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 02:22 AM

I have the Kwik shift 2 and it’s a great shifter, very clean shifts, very fast........I personally have not ever used or seen a better shifter myself.

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 02:26 AM

I did have to chop up and modify/weld their shift cable bracket they send because no matter what I tried it would hit the body, I think J Body also made a new bracket for his too, but after crossing that hurdle all is great.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWSSAA
B&M Pro Ratchet. No worrying about going 1st to 3rd with this shifter, because you can't.

I did that with my cheetah shifter so many times could scream, like said, not this one...love my pro ratchet.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 03:49 AM

For a 3 speed...PPP or the Quarter Stick or B&M Pro Stick style for a more economical choice. I actually prefer the B&M because it comes with a better cable and hardware.

I don't know how you could go from 1st to 3rd with a Quarter Stick. It's intuitive, easy to use, compact, hard to overshift and you can easily go from high to park (or vice versa) without having to jerk on the thing a half dozen times. Yes I hate a ratchet shifter. How do you know what position you are in without counting or starting over from one end or the other? Been awhile since I've used one, but unless something has changed, not for me.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
For a 3 speed...PPP or the Quarter Stick or B&M Pro Stick style for a more economical choice. I actually prefer the B&M because it comes with a better cable and hardware.

I don't know how you could go from 1st to 3rd with a Quarter Stick. It's intuitive, easy to use, compact, hard to overshift and you can easily go from high to park (or vice versa) without having to jerk on the thing a half dozen times. Yes I hate a ratchet shifter. How do you know what position you are in without counting or starting over from one end or the other? Been awhile since I've used one, but unless something has changed, not for me.

I agree with the quarterstick regards going first to third. I always would put my hand on top of the ball and just bop the shifter back for second. Then squeeze the trigger and pull it in third. Pretty impossible to go first to third unless you put your hand on the trigger, and why would you do that?
Even wirh a wheelstanding 9 sec car i never had any issues with that shifter. Works great.
Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 04:33 AM

PPP accept no substitute.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 05:08 PM

I was sold on the PPP when I called & talked with them & said they have been manufacturing them since 1989 with not one defective or returned shifter ever.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 05:37 PM

I hate those.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 06:21 PM

PPP!
Posted By: moetown

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 07:11 PM

My car came with a new Quarter stick from 2000 for a reverse 727.
My car will have a glide in it, so I will be getting a PPP shifter.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/25/17 11:20 PM

PPP all the way...So done with Hurst...
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/26/17 01:14 AM

I love my Hurst Quarter stick. No issues at all.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/27/17 07:49 AM

I have a B&M Pro Ratchet in my Duster, forward pattern Turbo Action mvb. First ratchet shifter I have ever had/used, I've only owned the car a few month's...but, so far I like it. twocents
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/27/17 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the input. Still cant decide, I'm about 60/40 leaning towards PPP. I like the cleaner look of the Stealth pro ratchet pistol grip with button setup but thinking the PPP is little better quality. Front exit cable is not a problem and with my mount it may even be better. Will probably ring PPP next week to clarify few things.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/28/17 01:35 AM

Call Ben Holt Race Cars. He's a dealer for PPP and easier to get in touch with.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/28/17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWSSAA

That's all I run, love them.
Posted By: onig

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/28/17 05:38 AM

Have a PP KS2 shifter in my son's car. Beautiful looking shifter. The floor bracket does not fit the contour of the trans tunnel, don't know if it fits any tunnel in particular. Did not try to bend it to fit better because I was worried the chrome may separate when bending. The carpet hides the incorrect flush fit that I would like to have. The slot for the shifter cable to attach to the shifter was not opened enough for it to fit, so I had to file it to make it fit. All of this, no big deal, but what I and my son hate is that the moveable parts on the handle will pinch your skin when operating while driving on the street. May not be an issue when racing while wearing gloves though.
Not sure I would buy another PP shifter, just for the pinching.

I suggest you find a car that has one to try and actually try running through the gears to see if you like it or if you get your fingers pinched.
That's my opinion on this shifter.

Good luck.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/28/17 05:22 PM

John Holt Race Cars

Give us a call and we can help you out. Sometimes it's hard to get a hold of PPP....I can usually take care of everything you need, and I can get you a little discount.

To clarify the mounts, they are polished stainless, so there is not chrome to flake off. They are universal, so you often have to "massage" them a little to be nice.

Hope I can help!

Ben

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/28/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By onig
Have a PP KS2 shifter in my son's car. Beautiful looking shifter. The floor bracket does not fit the contour of the trans tunnel, don't know if it fits any tunnel in particular. Did not try to bend it to fit better because I was worried the chrome may separate when bending. The carpet hides the incorrect flush fit that I would like to have. The slot for the shifter cable to attach to the shifter was not opened enough for it to fit, so I had to file it to make it fit. All of this, no big deal, but what I and my son hate is that the moveable parts on the handle will pinch your skin when operating while driving on the street. May not be an issue when racing while wearing gloves though.
Not sure I would buy another PP shifter, just for the pinching.

I suggest you find a car that has one to try and actually try running through the gears to see if you like it or if you get your fingers pinched.
That's my opinion on this shifter.
🤔 Not sure what your doing to get your fingers pinched but that’s the first time I ever heard that complaint. I drive mine daily and race it on the weekends and have zero issues with the shifter.
Good luck.
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Shoping for race shifter - 10/29/17 01:59 AM

I had a ratchet style shifter and liked it a lot. Never missed a gear and I liked the fact that the handle returned to the same position through the shifts. I went with a PPP on my newest car because I wanted the rear cable routing to keep everything away from the heat. I like it very much.
It's about personal preference and being comfortable and confident. Both are high quality. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
© 2024 Moparts Forums