Moparts

additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance

Posted By: 68LAR

additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/24/17 03:46 PM

Has anyone tried using an additional exhaust manifold header flange to gain spark plug clearance?
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/24/17 07:35 PM

Not for spark plug clearance, but for exhaust manifold clearance on eddy heads. SB A body. A header flange and longer studs. Worked for me.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 12:33 AM

What heads and headers are you running Larry ? I'm running Doug's D452 headers and Indy EZ's with Firecore wires and zero issues.
Gus beer
Posted By: topside

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 01:23 AM

On my SB, I use flange adapters to allow std flange headers to work with my W2 pattern: it helps with the 5/8-hex plugs, and also helps clear the booots (Taylor). Doesn't allow 13/16-hex, they still interfere slightly, although less than without the adapters.
On a BB, they might help depending on their shape, which heads & angles you have.
Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By 68LAR
Has anyone tried using an additional exhaust manifold header flange to gain spark plug clearance?

I have. I welded another header flange to the header to move the tubes away from the cross bolts on an Indy block.

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
What heads and headers are you running Larry ? I'm running Doug's D452 headers and Indy EZ's with Firecore wires and zero issues.
Gus beer

Running RPM heads with older style Hooker tuned headers. Current number is 5209. I wasted money purchasing the Accel shorty plugs. They are less than 3/16" shorter. Didn't help at all!!! These headers have separate flanges. I actually have to loosen the #7& #8 flanges to get to the plugs. I wanted to go with the Doug's but they are not a tuned header! TTI was also an option, but I would have had to buy a $300 starter, plus the $700+ for the headers to make them work. Too much $ for my blood. Got what I thought was a good price on a nice set of coated Hookers, but now have issues. May put my old CPPA's back on, even though they aren't a tuned header.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 08:01 PM

Do TTI headers need a specific mini starter or can you use a Dakota 318 2 wheel drive starter? That's the starter I run. It's the size of a mini and costs $80ish

Re: additional exhaust manifold flange for spark plug clearance - 10/25/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By FurryStump
Do TTI headers need a specific mini starter or can you use a Dakota 318 2 wheel drive starter? That's the starter I run. It's the size of a mini and costs $80ish

The 2" tube and larger TTI's need a special starter due to clearance issues. The 1 7/8" and smaller do not. The stock MOPAR mini will work. Mind you, I'm talking a manual transmission with a 143T flywheel. Automatic transmissions are another story....
© 2024 Moparts Forums