Moparts

top bulbers/button users

Posted By: DusterKid

top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 03:52 PM

I'm thinking of trying top bulb racing next year. Still have the original steering wheel in my car, would like to see some pics of where and how your buttons are mounted. Thinking I would like to mount it to the steering wheel somehow, but not sure just yet.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 05:05 PM

Not a stock wheel but... I had to make a little "L" bracket to tuck it up in the corner like that. Remember to drive around in second or high gear because you will bump it accidently sometimes. Only works in 1st or reverse.

Attached picture 16174619_10210439226350717_5273282070461766105_n.jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 07:25 PM

I have mine on the steering wheel too. Use my thumb for the button.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 09:12 PM

I am another with it on the steering wheel. I tried it down by the shifter for awhile and was just never comfortable or consistent there.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 09:38 PM

Stock wheel here. My button is down low by the shifter.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/23/17 11:47 PM

I made a extension bracket off the dash about three inches to the right of the wheel and foward two inches so it was easy to reach being relaxed and comfortable. Never interfering with the steering wheel. Whatever you do make it have NO movement or it will affect your reaction time. Didn't have to put up with that springy cord wrapping around the steering wheel either. Also had my practice tree box wired in so I could practice while waiting in line. Freaked the drivers out.
Posted By: HR3128

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/24/17 01:11 AM

This is the button set-up that was in my car when I got it. I like it. I can position my hand on the bracket while staging, stage & push the button. The button is out the way & won't get bumped accidently. I added the switch on the side to operate the brake solenoid for reverse.

Attached picture IMG_0369small.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/24/17 04:40 AM

A few top bulb guy's I know use a rocker switch mounted on the steering wheel. They claim it is more consistent as you can concentrate on the tree not holding the button. With your thumb on the high part of the rocker switch as the light comes on a slight pressure flips the rocker and your off. Anyone else use a rocker switch?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/24/17 05:36 AM

There is no way a rocker switch will be as consistent as a button. I remember the "Trans. Trigger" was sorta kinda popular for awhile. It looked like a shifter handle with a gun trigger. I haven't seen any lately.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/24/17 09:57 PM

Being a stick shift guy I never got into the pull your thumb/arm off a button but I think the rocker switch might require less concentration then holding the button in.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: top bulbers/button users - 10/24/17 10:26 PM

I've never had mine on the wheel, it's down near the shifter. A person could use the horn button for the stealthy look when the stock steering wheel is in place. work
© 2024 Moparts Forums