Moparts

Neutral safety switch

Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 05:20 AM

Hi guys I have a B & m automatic shifter and was looking at the yellow wire coming off of the starter that go to the ignition and was wondering if that's where I splice into I have a stock wiring harness 1969 dart

Attached picture IMG_3001.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3002.JPG
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 07:20 AM

Not sure what you want the shifter to do?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 07:22 AM

Are you wanting to bypass the stock neutral safety switch in the tranny and use the one on the new shifter? If so, why confused shruggy
If you leave all the stock parts in place, neutral safety switch in the tranny and the stock starter relay on the fenderwell or firewall and change the shifter only it will still work like stock up scope

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 07:07 PM

I'm not using the stock wine harness that goes to the transmission

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 09:13 PM

Do you have a stock starter relay? If so, make the shifter supply ground to the brown wire on there. It is marked with a "G" and is sometimes hard to see because the brown wire's terminal has rubber around it. No power required. Attach the shifter's neutral safety switch to ground and run the other side to that brown wire's terminal. up
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/23/17 09:16 PM

What transmission? If it is a 727/904 then its pretty simple.
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 01:52 AM

I prefer to use the original setup. The plug is around $30 new. Going that way keeps the wiring easy and in the engine compartment so routing into and out of the interior is eliminated. Also, while they may be very reliable, the shifter supplied mini-micro switches always gave me an uneasy feeling.
Like Dave Hall said, you are switching a ground, not battery. Just extend the middle brown lead to the "G" terminal and you're ready to go.

Attached picture NSS.JPG

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 03:36 AM

I've reading online that some officials are saying it cannot start in neutral is this true

B&M mega shifter. 69 dart
Local tracks Irwindale Fontana Bakersfield and Pomona

And thanks short Horse worked great

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 05:50 AM

It can start in "P" or "N" only. I have mine wired so that it will only start in park, or slightly south of there. whistling Kind of a pain. It will make you pay attention though.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 05:57 AM

The only thing the rule book says is "functional neutral safety switch mandatory". Doesn't say park switch. They just want the thing to not take off when you start it. Anyone who says park only is making it up. I seem to recall when I had mine checked, they just wanted to see it not start in any gear position.

As said, if using a stock deal replace or run the wire from the "G" terminal to ground through the neutral switch on the shifter.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By RAY1969CARS
I'm not using the stock wine (sic) harness that goes to the transmission

In that case just run the yellow starter wire through the B&M switch.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/24/17 10:55 PM

What John said if its a TF or using stock wiring..
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/25/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

If you do that, the G terminal (brown wire) will need to be attached to a ground to make the solenoid work.

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/25/17 07:21 AM

Why not send the ground? No brainer... Of course this all depends on the factory style starter solenoid which I don't believe has been confirmed.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Neutral safety switch - 10/25/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

If you do that, the G terminal (brown wire) will need to be attached to a ground to make the solenoid work.

IF he's using the stock relay. Sounds like he wants to run the Start wire directly to the starter solenoid.
© 2024 Moparts Forums