Moparts

which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get?

Posted By: sixpacksteve

which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 09:00 PM

innovation moves real fast. So i'm looking to get rid of steel heads and get alum ones. mopar ,edelbrock and stage V its for a street strip car.
whats best bang for buck?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 09:14 PM

Edelbrock by far. High flow and low price.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 09:42 PM

Are you bracket racing, or heads up? If the ultimate power is most important, Stave V. If the most bang for the $ is important, E-brock
Posted By: 469runner

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 10:15 PM

Stage V. Looks stock if that is important to you. Can be ported for more flow than Edelbrocks.
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 10:21 PM

I went with Eddys....
Very pleased with my decision!
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 10:28 PM

Stage V big valve.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/27/17 10:57 PM

edelbrocks Victor jr's will do more than you need for strip street - but piston design can get tricky because of the changed exhaust valve angle. Also edlebrocks need a big bore as they were designed for the 4.5" bore blocks Edlebrock rep recommended a Min. Bore 4.375” - I am guessing they will work on a smaller bore but may require some additional work. My New HEMI is a 572 with the eddies and we will dyno it hopefully next week
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 12:02 AM

Don't understand what you mean by inaovate moves real fast???? Irion heads will make more power when all things equal.

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 01:47 AM

the Hemi's have come a long way since the 60's. in the last few, tech is moving faster than ever. more sources than just one.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By sixpacksteve
innovation moves real fast. So i'm looking to get rid of steel heads and get alum ones. mopar ,edelbrock and stage V its for a street strip car.
whats best bang for buck?

For the money, Indy big valve Hi Po Hemi heads....I have the flow numbers. Almost 460cfm if I remember...Call Bob George Racing for pricing.

The Eddy heads, need a specific piston to not have interference issues.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 02:14 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but the only Edelbrock hemi head needing special piston notching is the latest edelbrock head with the big intake - the exhaust has a different guide angle requiring the special notch. The earlier edelbrock head sold through Mopar Performance ( with conventional valve train oiling ) does NOT need the special exhaust notch.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 03:43 AM

Stage V on my 572 ported by FHO
Posted By: cesar perez

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 05:37 AM

rowin what did your heads flow
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By Transman
Correct me if I am wrong but the only Edelbrock hemi head needing special piston notching is the latest edelbrock head with the big intake - the exhaust has a different guide angle requiring the special notch. The earlier edelbrock head sold through Mopar Performance ( with conventional valve train oiling ) does NOT need the special exhaust notch.

Yes, the Edelbrock Victor Jr. hemi head is the one w/ the different valve angle.
The older Mopar Performance heads that were cast by Edelbrock are all stock style stuff. They just have the Edelbrock "E" cast into them under the valve cover.

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 04:52 PM

Just because the valve angle is different doesn't mean that you need different pistons, or that it's going to cause you problems, etc. This isn't the 60's. Back then people would shave the heads and deck the block to get more compression. This would give you more compression but would decrease the piston to valve clearance. Most engines that people put together now are strokers. With a stroker you can get all the compression you want. Strokers take a lot less dome on the piston. Your street/strip application will probably be for pump gas and not have much dome. My guess is if you check your valve to piston clearance you will find you have a mile.

When using Victor Jr's you do have to check the intake valve to bore clearance if you are using a small bore.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 04:57 PM

Rickseeman - agreed on several of your points - a good engine builder will always check piston to head and piston to valve clearance on any engine and on a hemiroid - valve to valve clearance. Takes the worry out of being close - too close.

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 05:10 PM

here are the eddy head specific pistons - these are 13-1 customs

Attached picture IMG_1716.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1717.JPG
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 06:49 PM

I have the regular ole Mopar Performance Crate Hemi heads on my 528". They flowed around 426 as cast on our flow bench but it still made 853/697 with only 10.5:1 on pump gas, so I am happy enough with them for now.
Posted By: Cuda 1968

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 07:11 PM

Quality on the E-brock valves, are they good for a.800 + roller cam?
Posted By: RBRE

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 07:25 PM

The Edelbrock and Stage V Big Valve heads are rolled on the exhaust and even though they are the wrong angle for a standard valve angle head, you will have at lease .100" more piston to valve clearance than a stock head. - Ray

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE
I have the regular ole Mopar Performance Crate Hemi heads on my 528". They flowed around 426 as cast on our flow bench but it still made 853/697 with only 10.5:1 on pump gas, so I am happy enough with them for now.

iagree Same on my 572" hemi. Just the regular old MP (pre Edelbrock castings) aluminum heads CNC ported by MCH. Making somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 hp N/A at 11:1 on pump gas.
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By DoubleD

Who makes those? I'm gonna need a set for my eddy heads!
Posted By: Lost in life

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/28/17 11:39 PM

Could you guys detail the builds of the engines that are making 750+ HP with the Eddy or mopar heads? Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/29/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By rickseeman

Just because the valve angle is different doesn't mean that you need different pistons, or that it's going to cause you problems, etc. This isn't the 60's. Back then people would shave the heads and deck the block to get more compression. This would give you more compression but would decrease the piston to valve clearance. Most engines that people put together now are strokers. With a stroker you can get all the compression you want. Strokers take a lot less dome on the piston. Your street/strip application will probably be for pump gas and not have much dome. My guess is if you check your valve to piston clearance you will find you have a mile.

When using Victor Jr's you do have to check the intake valve to bore clearance if you are using a small bore.

Tell that to my buddy with +$2600 in two sets of pistons already, bet he throws one at you!
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/29/17 03:31 AM

DoubleD would you mind sharing whose pistons those are and the model number. I have those same heads and will be in the market for pistons.

TIA

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/29/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By DUSTER_340

DoubleD would you mind sharing whose pistons those are and the model number. I have those same heads and will be in the market for pistons.

TIA

The pistons are full customs designed by Best Machine - built by CP Pistons

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/29/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By Lost in life
Could you guys detail the builds of the engines that are making 750+ HP with the Eddy or mopar heads? Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://raybarton.com/parts/index.php/engines/single-plane-street-series-hemi.html

I think he uses Edelbrock heads on these.
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 09/30/17 01:47 AM

Thanks Best Machine is in my area , and I was planning on using them to do all my block work.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/01/17 04:31 PM

I have CNC ported Indy SR's on mine. No results yet.

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/01/17 06:02 PM

Here is mine - should have dyno results very soon
https://www.facebook.com/pg/bestmachineracingengines/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1460586160663729
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/01/17 11:27 PM

DD, that is a thing of beauty there!

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/02/17 01:34 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bestmachineracingengines/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1460586160663729

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results on that one! What's the cam specs?

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/02/17 03:58 PM

572" hemi, KB block, MP heads cnc'd by MCH
11:1 CR for pump gas, Callies crank, Oliver steel rods, Diamond pistons
276°/284° at .050", .672"/.651" lift solid roller. Very mild lobes to be easy on parts.
DLI roller rockers, Barton single 4500 intake, 1200 cfm dominator
Has run 9.54 at 140.4 mph at 3800+ lbs. on just the motor and pump gas. Somewhere in the 850 hp ballpark.

Attached picture new hemi 2.jpeg

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/07/17 04:04 PM

Dyno results are in

https://www.facebook.com/bestmachineraci...ZvhhNwjJ8ZQX3W4

Attached picture heftyhemidyno.jpg

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/07/17 08:55 PM

Not to be crass...but approximate cost for that build?

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/07/17 09:05 PM

Can i guess? 20k+

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/07/17 09:18 PM

That is probably a pretty safe bet...

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/07/17 11:29 PM

Not to be crass...but approximate cost for that build?

Speed cost money son - how fast you wanna go!

All I will say it is worth every dollar I spent - Best Machine used nothing but the best parts even on the small parts - I discussed what I wanted with Chuck before starting - it was a simple request a 572 with 800HP run on 110 fuel - using the the big valve eddy heads - 2 AFB's and the new Mega Block I had - I left everything else up to him - He delivered a big torque and durable HEMI - it could make more HP with a different intake and bigger carbs I am pretty sure of that - but I wanted in-line AFB's for NSS class racing. Overall I would say Best Machine delivered above my expectations
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/08/17 12:16 AM

What intake manifold did you end up with?

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/08/17 12:21 AM

Understand that. Enjoy your ride!

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/08/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

We ended up with the Stage V - was the general consensus that the eddie intake would max-out at 800HP - we were told the Stage V would support 850HP - guess it had a little room yet - its box-stock except for matching the port at the heads

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/08/17 02:31 AM

We ended up with the Stage V - was the general consensus that the eddie intake would max-out at 800HP - we were told the Stage V would support 850HP - guess it had a little room yet - its box-stock except for matching the port at the heads

Gotta be happy with you're results, nice stout power!!
Posted By: Cuda 1968

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/08/17 10:14 PM

Nice build, i am in the progress building a very similar Hemi. Care to share cam spec,s?

Re: which 426 alum.Hemi Heads to get? - 10/09/17 02:59 PM

FWIW...Seems like I recall Bob George talking about making quite a bit more power than that w/ the Stage V inline manifold. Seems to be a VERY good piece.
Congrats on your dyno results...that's a mean hemi!
© 2024 Moparts Forums