Moparts

Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower?

Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 12:55 PM

I have set of forged flat top 440 .030 pistons. These are old replacement pistons for mid to late 70's 440. They yield around 8.5.1 with a steel gasket and closed chambered head.
Could I use these with a Blower or is there a technology that I am not aware of when it comes to piston use with a Blower. I do not know a lot, if anything when it comes to building a Blown engine.
Thanks.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 12:57 PM

They should work great with a blower! With a supercharged application I heard that things such as quench do not matter near as much. I'm sure there are others who will chime in though.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 04:24 PM

If this is a street motor you should make sure that the piston top are thick enough to with stand detontaion ubnder boost. I'm not familar with that piston number, is it a cast piston or forged? I would not use a cast piston in a blower motor
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 05:02 PM

Quote:

If this is a street motor you should make sure that the piston top are thick enough to with stand detontaion ubnder boost. I'm not familar with that piston number, is it a cast piston or forged? I would not use a cast piston in a blower motor

just a question regarding this, how thick does the piston top need to be in a blown motor?
sorry if it was a highjack just got a feeling that question may show up anyway
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

I would not use a cast piston in a blower motor

My 2.2's seen 23 pounds boost on stock cast pistons. However many guys have turned pistons to ashtrays by doing that too.
Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 05:37 PM

Quote:

They are a forged piston. I think they are 2288. They pre-date TRW's 2266.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 05:45 PM

yup see picture below. stock cast speed pro's 6 psi of boost. I did burn 3 up, my fault I forgot to turn on the eletric fuel pump. put well over 5k on it and countless runs before I sold the car.

Attached picture 5052066-sc2aa.JPG
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 09:04 PM

Quote:

I have set of forged flat top 440 .030 pistons. These are old replacement pistons for mid to late 70's 440. They yield around 8.5.1 with a steel gasket and closed chambered head.
Could I use these with a Blower or is there a technology that I am not aware of when it comes to piston use with a Blower. I do not know a lot, if anything when it comes to building a Blown engine.
Thanks.

i would have to say .200 from the top of the piston is safe for the first ring.my comp HT on my piston is 2.050.i have had my pistons out after running 8lbs for 3yrs and there is some color on the side of the piston to .150/.200.my bore is tight at.006 and the top ring gap at .023[hellfire speedpro]my piston thickness just over the rod i would say is .200. i have wiseco K373A3 w/open chamber 346 heads.8.8cr
Posted By: SMRE Performance

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/25/09 10:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

What blower are you going to use? What kind of fuel? How much horsepower or boost?
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/26/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

What blower are you going to use? What kind of fuel? How much horsepower or boost?

thanks for any help.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/26/09 02:06 AM

Posted By: Blown61

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/26/09 03:25 AM

I ran those in mine, watch your timming quench or not it will detonate and hammer number 4 main out and spin a rod bearing.
Posted By: go green

Re: Low Compression Piston with it work with a Blower? - 02/26/09 04:05 AM

You already know the answer .

So many people build mix and match bargain engine combos then wonder why they don't work or fail.

Build a engine combination ( especially a supercharged combo )with a goal and result in mind .

If you don't any money you thought you saved will be lost on buying everything twice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums