Moparts

Solid motor mounts for the street?

Posted By: Pale_Roader

Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 03:49 PM

Did a few searches and came up dry. Thought there'd be lots ov thread on this?

Anyways, my Challenger project still needs mounts. I found a nice set ov Moroso(?) solid mounts, in nice shape for an absurd price. The car will have a poly trans mount (or could go rubber if its better).

Good? bad? for the street? Daily driver (360 Magnum and 4-speed into 74 Challenger). I dont mind a little NVH, and this engine should be pretty damn smooth.

Issues i might run into?

These are about a third ov the price ov what i'm finding used stuff for, and well... solid IS better for performance, yes?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 03:54 PM

Started running solids many years ago then went Elephant ears w/the BB.........Zero issues or concerns........ thumbs
Posted By: moparx

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 03:57 PM

solid mounts are not for everyone, but i like them. remember to use a rubber or poly trans mount.
beer
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 04:04 PM

No problems on a 70 RR with 452 and 4 speed. Been running them for years and prefer them over the rubber ones. The carb bowls still hit the side of the cutout in the bonnet when you stand on it. That is most likely chassis flex.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 05:10 PM

All i ever had with my small block. No issues here. I think they set the engine lower as well, so if you have hood clearance issues you might gain some space there.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 05:36 PM

Used them for years. Going motor plate on the new engine.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 05:58 PM

Front motor plate, mid way limiters and poly trans mount. No issues.
A little vibration reminds you of what the purpose of such a car is. 4 speeds would be hard on stock rubber mounts anyway so go have fun with the solids.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 06:11 PM

I run them with no problems. I do prefer a rubber mount on the right side though. These days I don't think I would chance a rubber mount on the left side no matter what, the quality of new rubber mounts is questionable.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 06:39 PM

Too "buzzy" on the street for my tastes. I even tried just one on the driver's side... still felt more engine vibration through the car than I wanted. Best combination for me is rubber mounts and a torque strap: no "buzz" and no torn engine mounts.

EDIT: I do use what I believe are called Mighty Mounts, along with a poly trans mount.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/29/17 11:41 PM

I run a solid mount just on the drivers side and a normal rubber mount on the pass side on my street car. Has been like that since 2006. Ron
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/30/17 09:06 AM

Good to hear! I can put up with more than most, and i like a more racecar feel. And if they set the plant lower, well thats just icing on the cake. I'm sold.

So, rubber or poly trans mount then? I have both handy.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/30/17 02:13 PM

Depends on your engine really. My 360 wasn't balanced and it would really zing the car sometimes lol. Rubber mounts with a schumacher torque strap solved that. I had to replace and shim the passenger side rubber mount a few times due to it sagging and letting the headers rub the steering. My current 416 is nicely balanced with solid mounts and it is smooth as glass.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/31/17 02:30 PM

Solid mounts or a motorplate is the only way to go IMO.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Solid motor mounts for the street? - 07/31/17 02:53 PM

Poly trans mount and full engine plate with poly a bushing on each side - works great wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums