Moparts

Saying good bye to the hobby

Posted By: dynamite

Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 05:21 PM

Well at 72 the wiffy finally convinced me to sell everything and grow up.. ( I don't want to ) After taking my 56 Plymouth for one more run at ATCO. First at Tech they informed me that my helmut will not be usable next season..then after my first pass I went 11.38 @ 119.5.. with a 1.69 60 ft.With no traction bars or cal tracs . they sent me to tech and was told I will need to put in a roll bar and 5 point harness or slow it down..So i made another pass only launched a lot harder and smoked the tires all thru 1 st.. went 11,77 , then I put it on the trailer and went home. !!!I pulled the 493, and put in my stock cruiser 361 cid motor..Sold the trailer in one day..Now want to sell the 493 ,, either running on in pieces..and after driving the 56 with a stock motor ,i might just sell the car too..( Sucks getting old )

Attached picture 2011-08-15 21.11.56.jpg
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 05:52 PM

I know these are some hard choices for you.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 06:15 PM

I don't want to cause any problems with your wife, but.....

I'm almost 60 and look forward to several more years. I know several racers in their '70's still racing. You don't have to go all out. But hopefully you can find a happy compromise with your wife, budget & yourself.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By Locomotion
I don't want to cause any problems with your wife, but.....

I'm almost 60 and look forward to several more years. I know several racers in their '70's still racing. You don't have to go all out. But hopefully you can find a happy compromise with your wife, budget & yourself.

Nuff said. Sometimes we use the wife to justify in our own minds doing exactly what we want to do anyway.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 06:20 PM

You'll be back.
Hobbies on a reasonable level keeps you young, proactive and socially viable.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 06:24 PM

Good luck to you sir!

Buddy of mine just went through the same thing. He built a gorgeous '64 Plymouth with a 496 in it. He drove it a couple times and put it up for sale. He found a nice little '70 318 Stepside pickup that he restored and now has a ball doing cruise nights.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 06:38 PM

I know how you feel.. I had to get out myself
after my second stroke last year.. I' still
playing with my street rod but I dont want to
race anymore for safety
wave
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 08:29 PM

72 and told your too fast,,,,,,,LMOL! Who is talking here,you or the wife?
If you decide to throw the tool box aside,well that is your decision.Wish you luck in any direction you go!
One question,did that car come off Long Island???
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/27/17 10:48 PM

You could run the 361 whistling and have a fun, no maintenance day if you like?
I am down to a couple of events a year at age 67.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 01:08 AM

Don't have to race, just run the car with the 493 around town and have a gay old time.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 01:47 AM

My father is 82... and although not racing or going to the track, he still goes out FOUR nights a week in the summer( mon, tues, wed, sat) with his '63 Impala.... a car he's owned since November of 1964.... My mother isn't a car person at all, but she tolerates it.
make her a deal, for every car related thing you do( show, race) you have to do something she wants to do.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 02:06 AM

I'm 58 and still only half way through my new project. 1 month into my highest job promotion yet. Lots of work still to come, both work and play. I'll quit when I'm dead or at least a quadraplegic.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 02:27 AM

That's a beautiful car. I'd think awfully hard about selling that. You won't come across one that nice like that for a while. I'd just drive that awesome car to your local cruise ins at the very least.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 02:41 AM

I certainly understand your dilemma. My wife and one of my sons has been after me to quit racing for a few years. I made a deal with them that if I can finish rehab of my car this year I'll quit racing when I turn 80. I'll be 78 in Nov. After that I'll just find someone else to drive my car and I have one grandson and another teenage cousin that are both interested.

Part of this deal is that after I quit racing I will put my effort into restoring another 68 Notchback I bought a few years ago. It might not end up on the track but with warmed 360 and a Procharger I have stashed away it should be a fun street car.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 03:13 AM

Sounds like a tough decision, hate to see someone quit who is enjoying themselves, if you still are, not sure that its a good idea. That is a sharp 56, not many around like it, Id be interested if you do decide to sell it.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 04:53 AM

Sorry to hear you are giving it up. I know my health gives me alot of problems as I have alot of joint problems so bad I live on pain meds and I am only 61. But I still love this hobby and wont sell my 63. I dont get to race much at all anymore but I do love racing it. But between my health and money (living on disability) I cant afford to race much or I dont feel up to it some days. I plan to keep driving it as much as I can and go to the local cruises most weekends. And I will race it every now and then when I can swing it. I just love this hobby to much to give it up myself but I understand you are doing what you feel is best for you. I know there is no way I could pull my 493 and put a stock 383 in it and drive it. After having the 493's power under the hood there is no way I want to put a less powerful eng in my 63. Well good luck to you and your wife as I hope all works out well for you guys. I know that has to be tuff selling that awesome 56 you have. Ron
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 05:53 AM

I am 61, have a 9 second NSS car, just finished a 69 cuda street car with a procharger, and a 4-speed. I think about quitting from time to time. I raced with several guys in their early 70's running faster than me. I divorced two wives who thought I should sell my cars and grow up 20 years ago. I got a girlfriend now that loves to go racing. I can't cut a light like I used to, I groan every time I crawl over the roll bar, my tow truck has 300,000 miles on it, but a good clean charge down the track with the wheels up, and who cares, I forget all about the bad stuff. Happiness only happens in one place, right between your ears, so do what makes you happy. I told my son the other day when he was looking at my cuda, you can sell it when I am dead, but until then I am going to have fun.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 06:27 AM

Well I'll throw my two cents in, I'll be 68 in a couple weeks and have no intention of quitting, in fact still building three cars( 2 street and 1 race) right now. The poor house and health could be the only things that get me. The way I see it, you have to do something, can't set around, might as well call the undertaker. How many people do you see that stop then die within a year. Gotta have a reason to get up every morning. That is too nice a car to just dump, are you just gonna ride around in your minivan? You, me, all of us, cars are in our blood, can't be removed! Quit this stupid idea and get to riding and feel good again.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By dynamite
Well at 72 the wiffy finally convinced me to sell everything and grow up..
Sucks getting old )

Do you like the alternative work
I don't, but we all end up the same way in the end angel shruggy
I'm 72 now and I can remember when I was a lot younger thinking I didn't want to be drag racing in I was in my 30s, and then in my 40s and 50s realcrazy
I stopped drag racing for several years in the late 1980s and took up flying, that is a lot of work on planning and so on and no fun unless your doing aerobatics work
In the end we are in control of a lot of things in our life, do what you want to do up
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 09:42 AM

Thanks for flying the MoPar banner for so long. I hope you enjoy what ever you get into.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 10:48 AM

My Dad has been gone for 16 years now. I remember him telling me about his red and white 55 Plymouth he had. He put a 413 in it with two fours. This was in the very early 60's. Use to tell me about his street racing escapades. And not bull either, lots of his friends verified it through the years. It made me want a mopar, and Ive had one for years as a result thumbs .
Your car is wonderful, and I think of him when I see it on the board. Just figured Id share that. Enjoy doing whatever you chose!

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 01:14 PM

WOW guys,, thanks for all the love.... first I gotta say the wife isn't the reason for not racing anymore... and I probably will keep the 56 with the 361 and just do the cruise thing..But some locals are interested in the 56.. and for enough$$$ it will go..but I have a very nice 1957 Oldsmobil I kinda got when my brother passed..I have friends still in the sport and will stay active with them and their builds.. I got the 56 in Missouri ( try to send an original picture ) about 11 years ago..I do have to selloff the 493 ..and another 440 block.. Trailer is gone already..My wife has gone to tracks with me since 1964..She is not pushing the subject...I know if I want to keep on racing,I will have to get the cal-tracks and different wheels and tires , then I know it will go 10's... but then I need to a cage and 5 point..So I will be around ,, Never give up, never surrender !!! OK Can't send the original pic but it was headed for the scraper..Thanks everyone and race safe...Larry

Attached picture 2010-03-01 20.16.04.jpg
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 01:54 PM

I am 75 with a lot of health issues. I used to race my 67 Barracuda turning low 11's at 120. When i quit racing I took it down to bare metal and made it into a street car with a low compression 410" aluminum W2 driver a few years ago. I used 3.23's and it turns low 12's. I hurt so much when i work on it that it just isn't fun working on it any more. Aging isn't for wimps.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By dynamite
WOW guys,, thanks for all the love.... first I gotta say the wife isn't the reason for not racing anymore... and I probably will keep the 56 with the 361 and just do the cruise thing..But some locals are interested in the 56.. and for enough$$$ it will go..but I have a very nice 1957 Oldsmobil I kinda got when my brother passed..I have friends still in the sport and will stay active with them and their builds.. I got the 56 in Missouri ( try to send an original picture ) about 11 years ago..I do have to selloff the 493 ..and another 440 block.. Trailer is gone already..My wife has gone to tracks with me since 1964..She is not pushing the subject...I know if I want to keep on racing,I will have to get the cal-tracks and different wheels and tires , then I know it will go 10's... but then I need to a cage and 5 point..So I will be around ,, Never give up, never surrender !!! OK Can't send the original pic but it was headed for the scraper..Thanks everyone and race safe...Larry

Two nice lady's. Do what you have to keep them both. The one setting on the fender does come first through.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 02:18 PM

Hope you, and the lady find something even more fun to do.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 03:45 PM

i know the health issue deal all too well, but i'm still plugging away in my mid 60's. takes me MUCH longer to complete simple tasks, but with 55yrs playing with these things [thanks granpappy ! up bow], and not being able to quit thinking of things to do, it will keep up until i croak. i have been plugging away on my 33 dodge humpback panel truck since 1973 or so, and it still is FAR from being done, and i still own my charger i have had since 1970. but lately, i've been selling off a ton of stuff i'll never use [it sure doesn't look like it ! eek], and trying to concentrate on just these two junkers. hope you are happy with what ever you decide to do, and good luck for your future no matter what you decide !
beer
Posted By: jcc

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 04:31 PM

You are my hero, a septuagenarian, who when told to "slow down" goes right back out there and lets it rip. up

Do what ever you want, you have much to be thankful for, life is too short to spend second guessing. twocents
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 05:28 PM

Been in the Mopar world nearly 50 years...

A-body street car-40 years ago...

B-body's been in the garage almost 30 years...

It ain't going anywhere...

But, a lot of Filly's have...

Attached picture il_340x270.1037710263_jtpd.jpg

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/28/17 06:37 PM

Thanks dthemi ,cudaman1969 and everyone else,, Yes thats the old woman about 2 years ago..and I think I'll keep her,,, I can keep the car ,it's my choice..but it was harder and took longer to put the 361 in than it used too.Man it made me sick I was so beat after a days work on the install...that made me turn the corner to keeping it as a cruiser.. There is a lot of love out there in MOPAR land ..Mopar or no car forever..Thanks all Larry

Attached picture 015.JPG
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/29/17 05:51 PM

At least keep the car. I would build the 361 a bit and wring it out for all it's worth. There are some neat old 50's and 60's car parts that would be fun to play with on a car like that if you're not going for max et but to play with some old tech. I'm thinking one of those old 6 stromberg carb intakes would be fun just for the heck of it. It's ok to slow your track et down but don't slow your body and mind down. Keeping your mind and body active in your 70s and 80's and more valuable than having or not having any car!

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/30/17 02:17 AM

This is what I used to race in the 80's

Description: This what I raced in the 80"s
Attached picture 2013-02-28 09.58.23.jpg
Attached picture 2013-02-28 09.57.52.jpg

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/30/17 05:34 AM

I've been around 105 MPH in a friends 18 ft. flat bottom V drive ski boat, once realcrazy That water is very hard once your above 45 MPH work
I'm a air plane pilot, I've also ridden dirt bikes in the Mojave desert for fun and paid the price of crashing them, NO MAS tsk
My current bracket car runs 9.0 at 147 MPH in the 1/4, I'm still hook on speed luck
Pray for me whistling

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/30/17 12:20 PM

Yeah cab,, I think we have talked about flying and speed before..I flew Bonanzas..Those two boats both ran mid to high 80's..but ocean racing,,in some really rough water..and races were about 120 miles ..I did a lot of boat work in the mid -east. There I clocked 117.mph in their 36 ft Cat hull.and it was no big deal..better ride than the old V -hull at 85..mph..That was in the 1990's..now they can touch 200.. ..not me ..way too old..Enjoy life Cab..it's getting shorter..
Posted By: Old School

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/30/17 07:45 PM

I am getting out of the hobby also. Selling everything. I will be having my awesome cars in the classified section soon.also selling my Bonanza and boat and moving to Mexico. Ready for the next chapter....
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/31/17 12:41 AM

Also at 72, and I'm in the same bout. Race car is up for sale. Hard decision for sure, but at some point in time the fun / body and or both start to go away. I'm still relatively healthy, so I have just changed speeds a little bit. Just finished a 1933 Plymouth coupe about a year ago and in the middle of a 74 Plymouth Duster that I pulled out of a Pull-a-part yard - sooo staying busy , bu no more sweat dripping off my chin in the staging lanes.

Attached picture 33 and trailer2.jpg
Attached picture duster4.jpg
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/31/17 06:25 AM

Well, I'm 64, and the major things holding me back, are time and money. I'm retiring next May, so I'll have more time.....money.....well, it's going to mean a part time job for racing expense. If I could, I'd race every weekend. I miss it. I just freshened the converter and trans and the motor may be next. (Lady friend said, why not work the engine in the house, over the winter 😳) The local racers miss me too. When they see my zero seat time booty in staging, I'm sure they lick their chops! To the original poster: Do what ever makes you happy, you deserve it.

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/31/17 02:19 PM

Yeah Leigh,, I agree with you. when I was 64 , I was retired,, and lived to go racing .. but at 72, well ,I'm in probably great shape for my age .. I still play ( senior ) soft ball 2 days a week. I know I will miss racing but not all the work..I enjoy tinkering and tuning but the heavy stuff is starting to %$##@ ...Heck, i'm great grand father already..We took the little guy to the Board walk amusements last week and I was done just trying to keep up with him..The wife is NOT the reason for getting out .. she is great and supports me and the sport.. IT's Just time to slow down.. Thanks Guys... Larry

Attached picture 017.JPG

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/31/17 07:34 PM

It's your life, live it like YOU want to now bow up twocents
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 07/31/17 09:47 PM

"but no more sweat dripping off my chin in the staging lanes." Man do I remember those days! I can remember sitting in my dragster, full firesuit, sweating like I was getting squirted with a hot water hose! I haven't bracket raced since 2010, sometimes I miss it...chasing the points and money...but then I think about how much work it was! I'm about to turn 62 and thinking of retirement, scares me a little out of fear of having plenty of stuff to tinker on but not enough money to do what I want to. Don't think I could ever not be in the shop working on something. 99% finished on the GTX, working on other people's stuff, working on a Duster and a heads up car. Still need to finish the restoration of my grandfather's old Dodge truck...plenty to do, and I'll find more, but I sure don't spend 12 hours a day in the shop anymore, I read Billy's stories and think where in the heck do they get all of that energy...but actually I remember...sigh...LOL
Posted By: biff426

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/01/17 03:36 AM

Dynamite I sent you a PM.

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/04/17 12:25 PM

HI bif 425..don't know if you got my reply .. I didn't get your PM.try again Thanks
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/04/17 07:16 PM

Hey Larry,

I am 66, and really picky about weather and temps being cool enough to race, with the fire suite, full face helmet, gloves. etc.
So I guess it is early spring and fall for me now.
I need a new goal to motivate me. Before it was get the old car back to the track, ( 30+years) then it was a 5 sec. pass, and to be racing with my old friends.
Now............. no motivation.

Good luck in what ever you do.
Your car still looks great.

Mark

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/04/17 11:32 PM

GEEZ Mark ..66 you are only a kid.. at 66 I was in Florida and it was hot !!!..I had a 59 Fury and then got the 56 . . worked on both like a maniac,I sold the Fury a year later, OK I was long time retired..but I did what I did up until now..,,time to slow down .. But if the right NICE car comes up ...who knows..! Mark you have that awesome Allstate..ya gotta do it .. but if you feel it's time then I wish you the best.. Keep in touch..I'll let you know what I do with the 56 ..Best regards Larry
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/06/17 04:56 PM

Hello Larry, I am 54 soon to be 55 and have gone through those exact thoughts more and more lately as it seems like more of a chore to take the car to the track and to the cruises than I have time for or the energy. But once I get in either car then the adrenalin hits and it seems like the fever comes back. I would say take it in steps, you already got rid of the trailer and need to sell the race motor. Enjoy the car like it is and see if that satisfies your hobby intentions, if not then sell it also. Just don't clean house and let regrets rule. Whatever you decide is your choice and by all means enjoy life your way! Good luck! Greg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/06/17 05:16 PM

Enjoy the next chapter. At some point we will all get there best of luck.

Re: Saying good bye to the hobby - 08/06/17 11:36 PM

AL. Thank you ... I'm sure I will get another ride not to race,but just to enjoy without working on it all week..and it will be a MOPAR,, regards MOPAR LARRY

Attached picture Dad_Car (1).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums