Moparts

The one year challenge

Posted By: JERICOGTX

The one year challenge - 07/13/17 03:52 AM

Well a good friend of mine told me tonight that a group of locals are planning on going to the 2018 Monster Mopar Weekend at Norwalk. He is giving me notice, that I have to finish my Road Runner and I have to drag it the 750 miles to Norwalk for the event. It gives me 53 weeks to get the car painted, assembled, tested, and ready to go. Guess I have to get serious about working on it now...

Attached picture IMG_5702.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5701.JPG
Posted By: STEFF

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 04:03 AM

Right on!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 04:10 AM

Time to get serious! The car already looks serious! Can't wait to see it at Norwalk, I promise to have my car there too.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 04:46 AM

Sweet ride. It looks bad [censored] now
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 05:20 AM

No sweat, you have plenty of time. You better put a heater in the garage. Good luck, I'll buy you dinner at Texas Roadhouse if you make it. 🍖🍗🍛
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 05:27 AM

see ya there??? smile
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
No sweat, you have plenty of time. You better put a heater in the garage. Good luck, I'll buy you dinner at Texas Roadhouse if you make it. 🍖🍗🍛

Do they serve these at Texas Roadhouse?

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By B5 Bee

Do they serve these at Texas Roadhouse?

Why do you think it's my favorite place to eat?

And Joel, what car are YOU going to bring to Norwalk??? I'm making a list of things to do, and most importantly things I can paint over the winter at Jay's using his paint booth.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 11:56 AM

If your painting it flat black yourself, no problem...Having someone else paint it....Problem

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By Dragula
If your painting it flat black yourself, no problem...Having someone else paint it....Problem

I'll be doing all the body work, and painting. No flat black though... Going to look just like it did in 1979. On the plus side I have 99.999% of all the parts I need to put the car together, and all the little parts are cleaned up, painted/powder coated, and ready to install. The biggest job is doing all the body work, and I'm not going to compromise quality just to get it done. I'll keep this thread up to date on the progress.

Attached picture motovator.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
see ya there??? smile
Sounds good!!! Drag 4 speed Johnny with ya!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 02:07 PM

Awesome, can't wait to see this bad boy when it's done!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
I'll keep this thread up to date on the progress.

Please do keep us posted, the car looks great so far.

Bill
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: The one year challenge - 07/13/17 04:25 PM

Ya got a year, better get on that body work. Takes time to get done correctly and leave time for solvent evaporation. Not something that should be rushed, one of the hardest things to convince a customer of.

Best of luck looks killer already. But I think the stance has changed a bit since '79 smile

Re: The one year challenge - 07/14/17 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Ya got a year, better get on that body work. Takes time to get done correctly and leave time for solvent evaporation. Not something that should be rushed, one of the hardest things to convince a customer of.

Best of luck looks killer already. But I think the stance has changed a bit since '79 smile

...so I'll meet you in Kingman next summer and we'll tow out there? smile

Re: The one year challenge - 07/14/17 12:24 PM

I'm hoping to get the car on the rotisserie, and get the car into first coat of primer before winter sets in, and it's too cold to work on the car. In the spring, I'll block it out a couple more times, and it should be ready to paint by the end of May. I'm going to try and have it race ready by the 4th of July so I can make some test runs, at the local 1/8th mile track.

And yes, the stance is just a little different today.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: The one year challenge - 07/15/17 02:42 PM

No doubt in my mind...You will get it done Jeff!

Re: The one year challenge - 07/15/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
No doubt in my mind...You will get it done Jeff!

It will either be a miracle, or epic failure... but the car will get done.

I almost have the transmission cross member done now. Been a busy last couple days.

Attached picture IMG_6009.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/16/17 03:51 PM

...so I'll meet you in Kingman next summer and we'll tow out there? smile

Jay you know I am always up for a road trip. If nothing else I can have something ready to go to race smile

Re: The one year challenge - 07/16/17 03:52 PM

Stay at it and I am sure you will have it done and ready.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/17/17 03:15 AM

Engine and transmission are now out of the GTX. frowwn

Kind of a bittersweet moment. Happy to be moving forward on the Road Runner, but tomorrow marks 26 years of owning the GTX, and who knows how long it will be before it runs again?

Attached picture IMG_6038.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/20/17 01:32 PM

Got the dummy block in and Jerico test fitted. Now to finish the trans mount, and make a fore/aft limiter. The new K member and dragster pan fits perfectly also.

Attached picture IMG_6068.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6072.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/20/17 03:18 PM

too late to put that engine plate on the front side of the chassis mounts? Sure makes it easier lowering it into position and sliding it back to the mount.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The one year challenge - 07/20/17 03:29 PM

too late to put that engine plate on the front side of the chassis mounts? Sure makes it easier lowering it into position and sliding it back to the mount.

I looked at that and thought the same thing but some guys like it that way. It sure makes it tight with the firewall if it isn't PERFECTLY level.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/20/17 03:54 PM

It could go either way really. The GTX was always on the backside of the mounts. It allows the engine to tip back easier if removing the transmission.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/21/17 12:23 AM

It could go either way really. The GTX was always on the backside of the mounts. It allows the engine to tip back easier if removing the transmission.

And that's important on this car. drive

Re: The one year challenge - 07/21/17 12:30 AM

And that's important on this car. drive

I hope not...

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 02:31 AM

Got the Dana 60 installed, along with axles and wheels. Will have to modify the quarter panels just a little, but everything is fitting well.

Attached picture IMG_6110.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 02:42 AM

what are you running for gear?

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 02:48 AM

Will be a 4.56 rear gear. Same as I run in the GTX. Could have possibly went 4.88, but with the car being roughly 300lbs lighter, it should be OK with the 56's, plus I'd like to gain some wheel speed to break 140mph.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 02:57 AM

Looking great, Jeff!! Still planning on redoing the GTX and making it more of a street car when the RR is finished?

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By Blusmbl
Looking great, Jeff!! Still planning on redoing the GTX and making it more of a street car when the RR is finished?

That is the plan Nick. It will be set up to run Drag Week. I'm thinking 512RB, with INDY EZ heads, 11:1 compression, and a T56 Magnum 6 speed with 4.56 gears. Long term project though. Since it's my first car, it's not going anywhere.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 04:35 PM

Love the wheel selection...

Re: The one year challenge - 07/24/17 04:45 PM

Thanks Al. Glad I bought them when they were still available. Bummer they do not make them anymore.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 01:40 AM

Love the wheel selection...

+1 up

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 03:30 AM

well.... 360 some odd days. hoping for the best!

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 04:54 AM

341 until testing...

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 05:44 PM

Some more progress last night.

Attached picture IMG_6116.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6117.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 06:05 PM

Jeff...Looking good! I think you will make your deadline. wrench

Re: The one year challenge - 07/25/17 06:16 PM

Thanks Ted. I sure hope so...

Re: The one year challenge - 07/29/17 04:11 PM

I finally finished up my rotisserie, and it is ready to mount to the car. It started out as a welding fixture from work, that I scored last fall. My plan is to do as much out the body work on the lift as possible first, hopefully get the car in primer, then put it on the rotisserie.

Attached picture IMG_6125.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6126.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 08/03/17 02:50 PM

Gotta love having a machinist friend, that can make whatever you dream up...

Attached picture IMG_6140.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 08/04/17 03:13 PM

ok.... I'll bite. What is dat??

Re: The one year challenge - 08/04/17 04:48 PM

ok.... I'll bite. What is dat??

It's for the deck lid. Since I can only get a pin on style lid, and would rather have it hinged, these will get glued to the underside of the deck lid, and the hinges slide into these like a stock lid does. Would have been much easier to just put metal parts on this car, but the weight savings will be worth it.

Re: The one year challenge - 09/25/17 11:17 PM

Here are the pieces attached to the deck lid.

Attached picture IMG_6496.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 09/25/17 11:29 PM

This was just a little nerve racking.

Attached picture IMG_6593.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 12:43 AM

Looks pretty awesome, Jeff!
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 06:49 AM

That looks like a Great setup and fab job Jeff !!!
I really like how you have the frame work done on it.
It looks well thought out.
Great Job !!!
David
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 07:59 AM

Wow! That looks great. Nice chassis work. Are you going to run the 4 or 5 speed Jerico? Clutch assisted? Keep up the awesome work
Posted By: racerx

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 12:29 PM

^^^And pictures^^^ up
Posted By: crlush

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 12:46 PM

Great trunk hinge idea, sweet looking car also!

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone. The trans is the same Jerico DR4 that was in my GTX. 4 speed clutch assisted.

Sure is weird seeing the car like this as it hasn't moved from it's spot in 7 years.

Jeff
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 02:19 PM

I love this build!! Great craftsmanship! What chassis cert is it going to be?

Re: The one year challenge - 09/26/17 03:19 PM

Just a 8.50 cert. No FC cage.

Re: The one year challenge - 09/27/17 01:14 PM

Got a bunch of welding completed on the underside of the car, and all the old paint stripped from the roof.

Attached picture IMG_6604.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 09/27/17 03:35 PM

Great work Jeff! I see no problem beating the deadline!
Posted By: fbs63

Re: The one year challenge - 09/27/17 05:09 PM

Car is looking great Jeff!

Re: The one year challenge - 09/28/17 05:40 PM

Looking good.

Re: The one year challenge - 09/30/17 03:13 PM

Awesome progress, and love your attention to detail. Little things like the stock floorpans incorporated with the backhalf, etc.

Re: The one year challenge - 10/01/17 03:25 AM

Awesome progress, and love your attention to detail. Little things like the stock floorpans incorporated with the backhalf, etc.

Thanks Nick. Keeping the stock pans were way more work then I ever thought. I wanted the car to retain as much of the original "character " as possible. Making the car a complete tube chassis, strut front, bare minimum deal, would have been easier and lighter, but just isn't my style. I have a thing for Super Stock type cars.

Re: The one year challenge - 10/06/17 02:21 AM

Had to step away from the garage for a bit. Did some more work on the wiring panel.

Attached picture IMG_6656.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 10/06/17 02:50 AM

I can come over and tidy up that wiring for you.

Re: The one year challenge - 10/06/17 03:09 AM

I can come over and tidy up that wiring for you.

LOL. I bet you could.
Posted By: moparx

Re: The one year challenge - 10/06/17 03:03 PM

Had to step away from the garage for a bit. Did some more work on the wiring panel.

wiring like that, i admire ! up having to repair many spaghetti nightmares, it restores my faith to see craftsmanship like that !
beer

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 01:40 AM

Since my last post on this, I've installed heat in my garage, and I'm loving it! Been plugging away, and got the trunk and passenger area to a point I was able to spray primer. Little by little, it is moving along.

Attached picture IMG_6925.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6926.JPG
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 01:52 AM

I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite cars on Moparts.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 03:46 AM

Garage heat is a big deal. I have radiant floor heat in my shop and I love it. I used to work in an unheated shop and my productivity during the winter was close to zero. Now I can head out there in the morning and work all day.

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 06:53 AM

All that shiny new metal you put in there is almost too pretty to cover up. primer

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 06:59 AM

Awwww.... you outgrew the diesel #1 Nipco heater stage.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 07:02 AM

Wow. Great work !!! Coming along awesome

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 12:47 PM

I also installed a heating system this year up sure beats work in a cold garage. The primer looks Good keepup the Good work.

I also

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 04:01 PM

Winter heat is good in Minnesota for sure!

Several years ago I got an Mitsubishi Mini Split for my small shop. Heats in winter and cools in summer. I really like it.

Back on topic, cool car, its going to be fun to follow this build.

Bill
Posted By: moparx

Re: The one year challenge - 11/14/17 05:00 PM

heat is good for 99% of all people, but my MS makes it miserable, because at the least effort, i sweat so much it looks like i just got out of the shower ! that includes working in 30 something temps with just a t-shirt ! as long as i'm inside, no heat is required, although painting is impossible, and my best friend has to show up in his snowmobile suite with a nose warmer and mittens. when i'm at his shop, i'm into a sleeveless shirt with the buttons opened. only reason i don't go shirtless, is i would offend his wife and dog. then he tells me i stink. eek some friend he is ! biggrin
beer

Re: The one year challenge - 12/06/17 03:02 AM

.... a little quiet in here. I suspect Jeff has suspended all progress as he's making plans for the lighting of the Grain Belt Beer sign in Minneapolis coming up in a few weeks laugh2

Re: The one year challenge - 12/06/17 03:56 AM

I've been working on the car, just nothing shows up in pictures as progress. The undercarriage is about 75% ready for primer. I got tired of looking at it, and started to clean up the engine and painted that. Still have to get rid of the chrome timing cover for a plain steel one, swap oil pans, install a new ATI dampener, mill the INDY logo off the valve covers, and reinstall the intake.

It all needs to be done, so I look at it as progress, as long as I'm working on something for the car.

Re: The one year challenge - 12/13/17 09:00 PM

It's been 1 month since we got a progress picture. I think you're starting to slack off. drinking Tick, tick, tick...

Re: The one year challenge - 12/13/17 09:47 PM

How about a teaser shot of the engine? Other then going to PRI, I've been working on the car every day.

Attached picture IMG_7324.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 12/13/17 09:54 PM

Just got this today. Part of the trunk latch.

Attached picture IMG_7327.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 04:04 AM

I had a good friend/ coworker mill the INDY logo off my valve covers yesterday. I just have a few things to finish on the engine and then I'll get back to the body work.

Attached picture IMG_7321.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7330.JPG
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 05:25 AM

Where’s the LIKE button? Very nice work Jeff! Can’t wait to follow this build through the winter.
popcorn

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67
Where’s the LIKE button? Very nice work Jeff! Can’t wait to follow this build through the winter.
popcorn

Thank you. Posting progress pictures, keeps me enthused.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 07:53 AM

How about a teaser shot of the engine? Other then going to PRI, I've been working on the car every day.

Like the color. Keep going!

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 03:44 PM

Nice work Jeff! Thanks for answering the wife's question on Facebook. I didn't know that was Harvs car! wave
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67
popcorn

iagree X2 Good luck with the target date too.

Mark

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 09:12 PM

Awesome job Jeff! That's gonna be one awesome car.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: The one year challenge - 12/14/17 11:50 PM

Haven't surfed or posted Moparts in a long time. Today I log on and happen across the one year challenge thread. Man that is a challenge too, but if there ever was a time to be challenged it is now. It will be a epic time and some fun is bound to happen. I know you have been working hard it looks great and I know you will do all you can to meet the deadline. If there is anything you need please contact me even if it is to be your Mick- like in Rocky fame. You know I could come over and say things like "You lay off that pet shop dame. Women weaken legs". You know golden wisdom like that. The car looks awesome. I will leave you with this pearl "You got heart, but you fight like a EDITED ape" Now get out there and work on that car

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 02:12 AM

The "383" going into the Road Runner. I just need to order a few new bolts, and intake gaskets.

Attached picture IMG_7360.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 04:31 AM

The last time that car saw a 383, my dinosaur was in diapers. dino
pretty sneaky whistling

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 04:52 AM

Nice lookin motor there up
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 05:19 AM

335hp right?

Looks excellent, I am a big fan of the turquoise.

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 06:35 AM

I like the color even more with this pic! I like that everything is painted.

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 06:39 AM

Love the look of the bullet for sure...

Re: The one year challenge - 12/18/17 12:52 PM

The last time that car saw a 383, my dinosaur was in diapers. dino
pretty sneaky whistling

Last time the car ran was 1979.

Re: The one year challenge - 02/11/18 07:36 PM

Progress has been moving at a snails pace lately. The heat in the garage doesn't keep up under 10*, so it was best to shut it down, and take care of small projects in my basement.
Thanks to JBody for the advice on an engine diaper. I bought a custom made one from Russler. It fits very nice, and Russel was excellent to work with.
After attending PRI I decided to buy a Stroud parachute. Friends advised it, but with talking to Stroud directly, there was no other choice. I'll be ordering seatbelts and a window net from them as well.

This last week, a friend came over and helped me set up the Dana 60 gears. It's been a while since I set up a set , so I wanted to make sure it was right.
Hopefully in a few weeks I can get the heat going again and get back to doing body work.

Attached picture IMG_7566.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7603.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7692.JPG
Posted By: cudadon

Re: The one year challenge - 02/11/18 11:47 PM

Looks great Jeff. Guess you are going to be your own trunk monkey?
Or Joel?
I really like the trunk hinges!

Keep up the good work!

Don

Re: The one year challenge - 02/12/18 12:10 AM

This car will not be for Drag Week. Just a bracket car is all.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/18 05:48 PM

This car will not be for Drag Week. Just a bracket car is all.

JUST a bracket car? Now you hurt my 1 feeling.
Looks cool.

Don

Attached picture cuda and I cropped.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 12:23 AM

Well, I wish I had better news on this project, but as stated earlier, it would be a miracle, or epic failure. Just as I was about to get back on this project, my Mom had a massive heart attack, and spent a month in the ICU. Between working 7 days a week, and spending time at the hospital, the car was the least of my worries. Everything is going to be fine, but making Norwalk is not an option. With the weather finally being nice, I've found some ambition to work on the car s couple hours a night on it. I'm hoping to have the shell in primer fairly soon.

Attached picture IMG_8836.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 12:44 AM

What good is a deadline if you don't break it? panic
Keep at it, you'll get it. I'm so glad that your mom is doing better now.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 04:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hopefully things are looking up.

If my current roll cage install turns out 1/100th as nice as what you have posted in this thread I'll be enamored! No sense rushing things they end up needing to be reworked with that methodology.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 01:40 PM

One day at a time, set backs are just part of it ..glad Mom is doing better, don't rush it, you will regret it ..
Posted By: second 70

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 04:55 PM

Jeff sorry to hear about your Mom but glad to hear she's recovering. I just lost mine 3 weeks ago at the young age of 97 and am glad for the time I spent with her instead of under the hood.

Mike
Posted By: Leigh

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By second 70
Jeff sorry to hear about your Mom but glad to hear she's recovering. I just lost mine 3 weeks ago at the young age of 97 and am glad for the time I spent with her instead of under the hood.

Mike

This. Glad your Mom is ok.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/16/18 05:00 PM

Well as I said before, getting the car ready for Norwalk, would either be a miracle, or epic failure. It's no where near done. I'm getting close to having the car in primer, and have put some steady hours in lately.

Attached picture IMG_9670.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9648.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9675.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 07/16/18 05:09 PM

Cant wait to see this one done. Nice work!

Re: The one year challenge - 07/16/18 05:15 PM

Thanks David. Looking forward to seeing your Demon done myself.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/17/18 02:52 AM

YOu're making good progress on that, buddy! Maybe your car will be on the dragstrip before mine. shruggy

Re: The one year challenge - 07/17/18 03:05 AM

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll never make Norwalk.... maybe if you get done for next year I can fly out and check your tires or something

Re: The one year challenge - 08/07/18 09:01 PM

Shot some primer on the doors and bumpers last night. Not real happy with the drivers door. Might have to redo some of it.

Attached picture MotovatorAug18.jpg
Attached picture MotovatorAug18-2.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 08/17/18 03:45 AM

A little more progress.

Attached picture IMG_9930.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9932.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9936.JPG
Posted By: Scott58

Re: The one year challenge - 08/17/18 04:37 AM

Looking great, Jeff!

Re: The one year challenge - 08/17/18 12:40 PM

Nice!
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: The one year challenge - 08/17/18 12:51 PM

I have found that cars never keep to a schedule. Whether at work, or at home. Just keep chipping away, 1 day at a time. I'm hoping to get my chassis certified within the next month. Still far from done, and it won't do me any good except piece of mind, knowing that I built it right. If I'm lucky (not a good track record so far! 3 years in the making.) maybe I have a shot at Spring for my 1 year project.
Your project is looking great. Family always comes first, glad Mom is feeling better. Keep at it.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/19/18 06:13 AM

Another big task done. On to getting the engine compartment ready for primer now.

Attached picture IMG_9996.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 08/19/18 12:28 PM

Looks great Jeff...Got any news for me? I don't do facebook..

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 05:02 AM

All of the main shell is now in primer.

Attached picture IMG_0014.JPG
Posted By: dvw

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 11:21 AM

Don't give up blocking the body until it's right. It'll just bug you later. The speed your moving along at is fantastic. WAY faster than what it took me.
Doug
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 12:48 PM

Car is looking great!!! Love the hidden snout bars.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Don't give up blocking the body until it's right. It'll just bug you later. The speed your moving along at is fantastic. WAY faster than what it took me.
Doug

It's taken 12 years to get this far.

Sgcuda, I got the J bar idea way back from dvw, when he was building his car. Liked the way it looked, so went with it.

Attached picture IMG_0015.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0018.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 05:00 PM

Quit playing with the car and start playing with the practice tree... whistling

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
Quit playing with the car and start playing with the practice tree... whistling

I'll keep working on the car...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 08:02 PM

Such pretty looking work...wow. I'd never have the patience.

Dumb Question:
What is your approach to sealing the tubs to the quarters?

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 08:15 PM

3M Seam sealer.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 08:19 PM

Thanks. Anything attaching the edge of the tub to the quarter?

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 08:22 PM

No. They need some flex.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/22/18 09:01 PM

All right, thank you. Been studying how many are done in case I ever decided to go to the stock rails. I've never seen any that were attached, but never knew why/why not.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/23/18 03:28 PM

They will dimple the quarter, no way to weld to the inside of the quarter without chassis flex showing in the body work no matter how stiff the car is. Big reason I split factory tubs and widened them on mine.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/23/18 07:40 PM

I used windshield urethane. 1/4's still straight over 550 passes later.
Doug

Re: The one year challenge - 08/24/18 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
I used windshield urethane. 1/4's still straight over 550 passes later.
Doug

My mistake. Yes, this is what needs to be used. Inhaled too many paint fumes lately.

Re: The one year challenge - 08/24/18 01:09 PM

I had some art work done for the car, and this will be a banner to hang on my garage wall.

Attached picture Motovatorbanner.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 08/24/18 01:14 PM

Nice artwork! You guys coming down to the Terry Stumph races? drive
https://www.facebook.com/events/387298535015700/

Re: The one year challenge - 10/25/18 06:57 PM

Work on this project is slow at best. body work is such tedious work, and it never seems like you get anywhere, even after working many hours on it. I'd much rather do fab work.

Attached picture MotovatorOct18-1.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 10/26/18 02:37 AM

^^^Amen to that^^^

Re: The one year challenge - 01/06/19 04:29 AM

Trying to finish up some small projects on the car since it's winter. Here is the speedometer cluster, and radio for the car. I sacrificed a cluster, and only used the face of the gauges, and glued the needles in place. Same with the radio. This will give the car a non gutted look, but weigh less than stock parts.

I'm actually running out of small winter projects...

Attached picture IMG_1862.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1844.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1872.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1873.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 01/07/19 02:20 AM

Dash mocked up. This entire assembly is about 20lbs lighter than my all stock 69 dash.

Attached picture IMG_1887.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 01/07/19 02:40 AM

That dash is a work of art. Great job!!

Re: The one year challenge - 01/07/19 02:06 PM

Thanks Nick. Once piece at a time.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/07/19 02:12 PM

Nice work as always Jeff! wave

Re: The one year challenge - 01/07/19 02:53 PM

Thanks Ted. Sure would like to finish this thing, then head to Earlville.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 12:45 AM

You should have at least glued the speedo needle at 120.
Seriously, looks great.
20 pounds is impressive.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 01:00 PM

Thanks Ted. Sure would like to finish this thing, then head to Earlville.

Just don't wait too long! wave

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 02:08 PM

Ted, do you still have that Coronet parts car?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 02:24 PM

Yeah that looks amazing, nice work!

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 02:37 PM

Sorry Jeff..It's long gone.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 07:46 PM

I had some art work done for the car, and this will be a banner to hang on my garage wall.

I had one done of my Challenger also. He even added the funny car cage & Super Shaker. I May have him do one for me for my Charger also someday.

Attached picture rsz_1970_challenger_pro_street_-b5_-_jay_sears-recovered_-_copy.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE

I had one done of my Challenger also. He even added the funny car cage & Super Shaker. I May have him do one for me for my Charger also someday.

Cool! Robin does nice work, and was very easy to deal with.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 09:54 PM

That instrument cluster is looking pretty fancy for a race car. up

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 11:32 PM

That instrument cluster is looking pretty fancy for a race car. up

If it can't be fast, it might as well try to look good.
Posted By: R3 Racing

Re: The one year challenge - 01/08/19 11:52 PM

I have another wide format printer and can do banners, etc. again.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 02:35 AM

I painted my Kirkey seats, and a couple interior pieces today. The seats are painted the factory UU1 ice blue metallic, so they look like they belong to the car.

Attached picture IMG_8758.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_2007.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 06:30 AM

Looks good. You musta got yourself a paint booth. primer wink

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 06:33 AM

Yep! Nice color!
Posted By: GY3

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 06:46 AM

Will be funny 30 years from now when someone can't figure out why none of the gauges work.... hammer

Very nice work, BTW.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 06:50 AM

Looks good. You musta got yourself a paint booth. primer wink

I think you know where that paint booth is. Can't thank him enough for letting me use it.

I got the rest of my dash frame painted tonight. The ash tray is sanded, and ready for color also. The to do list is getting smaller.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 05:25 PM

Nice up
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 07:46 PM

Looking good. One step at a time.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Will be funny 30 years from now when someone can't figure out why none of the gauges work.... hammer

Very nice work, BTW.

I'm hoping one of my nephews is racing the car then. As long as one of them has a passion for it, they can have it. If not, well then I'll have to explain that to the new buyer.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/20/19 10:15 PM

When your nephew gets it, at least it'll get fixed right with a pair of chrome plated 12" Cal Custom shackles.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/21/19 02:11 PM

When your nephew gets it, at least it'll get fixed right with a pair of chrome plated 12" Cal Custom shackles.

As long as he doesn't install a wood pinion snubber, it will be OK.

Re: The one year challenge - 01/21/19 02:43 PM

Lookin good as always Jeff! Now...Please take back your snow and freezing temps! It belongs up there!! wave

Re: The one year challenge - 01/21/19 04:12 PM

I'll be happy when warmer weather gets here also. I want to get back in the garage, and continue body work.

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/19 02:22 AM

Got the K member mocked up one last time. Spring time can't get here soon enough.

Attached picture IMG_2193.JPG
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/19 03:47 AM

Who's K member is that ? It is really nice !

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/19 04:24 AM

I made it myself.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/19 04:34 AM

I made it myself.

That’s pretty. Very nice

Re: The one year challenge - 02/13/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I made it myself.

That’s pretty. Very nice

Thank you.

Re: The one year challenge - 03/28/19 04:54 PM

Thankfully spring is finally here, and I can work on the car again. Recently, I got the car seam sealed, and the trunk, and passenger compartment in final primer. The decklid is blocked out, and in primer. The doors, bumpers, engine compartment, and under carriage are ready for final primer. I want to reinstall the fenders to block them out. The hood is a disaster, and I hate working on it... but I'll get it done.

Attached picture Motovatormar19-6.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 03/28/19 05:29 PM

Looking Good ! up
I know it seems like the block sanding never ends !

Mark

Re: The one year challenge - 03/28/19 05:47 PM

I absolutely hate block sanding. It's like it never ends.

Re: The one year challenge - 03/28/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Car is coming along nicely. I agree on hating block sanding. I just got done on my 69 barracuda, it seem like I was never going to get it done, but once it's got painted it was well worth it.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: The one year challenge - 03/28/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DusterKid

Car is coming along nicely. I agree on hating block sanding. I just got done on my 69 barracuda, it seem like I was never going to get it done, but once it's got painted it was well worth it.

Youse A and B body guys are wimps! LOL!
Try block sanding a 18-19 footer C body for 4 months!

Attached picture boab april 2014 043.jpg
Attached picture boab april 2017 015.JPG
Attached picture 1538972525450.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 04/22/19 02:53 PM

Blocked out in 220 grit, and primed. Getting closer...

Attached picture MotovatorApril19-7.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 04/23/19 05:07 PM

Thanks for the update, looks like its going to be nice!

Re: The one year challenge - 04/23/19 07:13 PM

Your "race car" is going to need a California Duster!

Re: The one year challenge - 04/24/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Your "race car" is going to need a California Duster!

You just bought a new one, can I use it?
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: The one year challenge - 04/24/19 01:38 PM

Beautiful work Jeff!

Re: The one year challenge - 04/24/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
Beautiful work Jeff!

iagree Hurry up and finish this thing so I can drool over it.

Re: The one year challenge - 04/25/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by HardcoreB
Beautiful work Jeff!

iagree Hurry up and finish this thing so I can drool over it.

Thanks guys. I try working on it every night. I have some vacation scheduled from work, to dedicate some time on this. Picked up some more needed paint supplies the other day. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Re: The one year challenge - 04/25/19 04:17 PM

You have what the young whippersnappers refer to as "MAD SKILLZ"

I'm envious, I do the best I can but don't expect to develop that level of expertise.

Hats off to ya

Re: The one year challenge - 04/25/19 04:23 PM

Great work Jeff. Be careful Joel will try and get you to put a hemi in it.

Re: The one year challenge - 04/25/19 04:30 PM

I've already been working on that idea!

Attached picture e49b60412a0dcd464f839215202e58f4.gif

Re: The one year challenge - 04/25/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by second 70
Great work Jeff. Be careful Joel will try and get you to put a hemi in it.

If he is willing to donate one, I'd be glad to do it. I'd really love to do it, but I don't think I'll live long enough to be able to afford piecing one together.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/19 02:40 PM

Car blocked out beautifully in 320 grit. Still have to block out doors, fenders, hood, and decklid in 240, prime, then 320.

Attached picture MotovatorMay19-1.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/19 04:03 PM

you missed a spot...

Re: The one year challenge - 05/03/19 04:48 PM

you missed a spot...

again...

Re: The one year challenge - 05/04/19 04:51 PM

Has Joel dropped off the hemi he was going to donate to your build as thanks for all the years of service as a loyal trunk monkey? Much better than a steak dinner. Lol

Re: The one year challenge - 05/05/19 04:54 PM

Has Joel dropped off the hemi he was going to donate to your build as thanks for all the years of service as a loyal trunk monkey? Much better than a steak dinner. Lol

No HEMI, and I'm not complaining. I've been more places in the last 6 years, than I ever thought I'd go, all thanks to Joel. We give each other a lot of crap, me more so than him, but Joel is a true friend.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/06/19 03:57 PM

No HEMI, and I'm not complaining. I've been more places in the last 6 years, than I ever thought I'd go, all thanks to Joel. We give each other a lot of crap, me more so than him, but Joel is a true friend. [/quote]

I think Joel missed his calling and should have been a tour director. After hearing all the side trips you took to see sites on Drag Week trips I was a little jealous and might have even payed to ride with you.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/07/19 02:36 PM

No HEMI, and I'm not complaining. I've been more places in the last 6 years, than I ever thought I'd go, all thanks to Joel. We give each other a lot of crap, me more so than him, but Joel is a true friend.

I think Joel missed his calling and should have been a tour director. After hearing all the side trips you took to see sites on Drag Week trips I was a little jealous and might have even payed to ride with you. [/quote]

I've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit with Joel. One time, I almost died from laughing with him, and I'm not kidding. Was kinda scary. We travel well together. Always a story, and laughing along the way.

back to business... I got some blue paint on the rollcage yesterday.

Attached picture MotovatorMay19-2.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 05/07/19 03:43 PM

A dumb question from Mr. Clueless:

Does it get finished later just because it's that much easier to work on without the additional bars in the way?

(if so that's just being smart, but it seems nobody ever says. Guess you are just supposed to know?)

Re: The one year challenge - 05/07/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
A dumb question from Mr. Clueless:

Does it get finished later just because it's that much easier to work on without the additional bars in the way?

(if so that's just being smart, but it seems nobody ever says. Guess you are just supposed to know?)

Rich, you are correct. I have to paint the floors/dash area before the dash goes in. Once I install the A pillar bars, and door bars, the dash cannot come back out, and since everything is nicely painted, I didn't want to wreck it with all the body work, and spraying primer. But yes, it is much easier not having the door bars in place. I can turn the car 90* on the rotisserie, walk through the windshield opening, and sand the floors standing up.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/07/19 04:51 PM

thank you.

I see the idea used often on build pics, even of non-rotisserie projects, but nobody ever really explains what they are up to.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/10/19 11:47 AM

Sprayed the floors with the original EE1 color that the car was/is going to be. Looking forward to seeing the entire car painted in it.

Attached picture IMG_2957.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 05/10/19 01:16 PM

Great work as always Jeff! You are quite skillful for a young fella! wave

Re: The one year challenge - 05/10/19 02:44 PM

Thanks Ted. I wish I had the talent others have.
Posted By: Scott58

Re: The one year challenge - 05/10/19 08:03 PM

Oh Yeah! Bring on that Midnight Blue Metallic!!!

Looking great!

Re: The one year challenge - 05/12/19 05:22 AM

I installed the dash frame, and welded the A pillar bars in place today. Next is the Halo bar, and door bars.

Attached picture IMG_2978.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 05/13/19 11:07 PM

The halo bar, and driver side bars are in, all my with the window net mounts, and parachute handle/cable mount.

Attached picture IMG_3026.JPG

Re: The one year challenge - 05/20/19 03:56 PM

Roll cage, and bumpers are painted. Progress is rolling along.

Attached picture IMG_3082.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3125.JPG
Posted By: RustyM

Re: The one year challenge - 05/20/19 08:24 PM

Grin: I see someone else uses aluminum foil for more than a modern Tin Hat .
Beautiful work.
Are you using a mini gun on the "bars in place"spraying?
man, your getting a really tight pattern with very little overspray- impressive!!

Re: The one year challenge - 05/21/19 12:51 AM

Yes, I used a mini paint gun from Harbor Freight to spray the cage. I fully expected to throw it away after one use, but it worked well. I have a gun made by Graco, and love it. The aluminum foil makes it very easy to mask off the cage.

! - 05/21/19 07:51 AM

I, for one, can't wait to see that color contrasting with that beautiful engine color! It's looking so good you may be tempted to attend a car show or two...keep going! up

Re: ! - 05/21/19 11:38 AM

Thanks Dave. Not much of a car show guy, but I have one I want the car at. It's the home town from where one of the original owners lived.

Re: ! - 05/21/19 12:16 PM

Thanks Dave. Not much of a car show guy, but I have one I want the car at. It's the home town from where one of the original owners lived.

Looks awesome Jeff! That's will be really cool if the original owners can see it at that show.

Re: ! - 05/21/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Looks awesome Jeff! That's will be really cool if the original owners can see it at that show.

Thanks Chip. The first 2 owners have passed on, but the second owners daughter, is still in the area, and she gave me pictures of the car, when her Dad owned it. The third owner, the guy that named the car, is still around, and I stay in contact with him some. he lives about 100 miles away, but I'm sure he would come out to see the car, if he knew it was in his home town. I'm hoping that bringing the car there, it will spark some locals memories, and bring out the stories, and with some luck, more pictures.

Re: ! - 05/21/19 01:53 PM

Looking great as always Jeff! up
Posted By: RustyM

Re: The one year challenge - 05/21/19 09:50 PM

beautiful work and, yep, its not the gun as much as the painter.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/22/19 03:42 AM

Sprayed the trunk tonight, along with jamming the fenders, trunk lid, hinges, and hood pin brackets.

Attached picture IMG_3143.JPG
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: The one year challenge - 05/22/19 03:54 AM

What was the color of the bumpers ? I like it , its lighter than what is on mine & looks a lot better . Gary

Re: The one year challenge - 05/22/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gabby63
What was the color of the bumpers ? I like it , its lighter than what is on mine & looks a lot better . Gary

I'll get you the code tomorrow. It is very bright out in the sun.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/23/19 02:28 AM

The bumper silver is Deltron DBC, brand code 916293, or GM WA8867.
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: The one year challenge - 05/24/19 05:52 AM

Thank you for taking the time to post this , I really appreciate it . Gary

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 12:11 PM

Bottom of the car is painted.

Attached picture IMG_3251.JPG
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 12:21 PM

Looks awesome!!

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 01:06 PM

As fast as you are moving along on this thing, I might just have to concede the bet and buy you your dinner at taco Bell. That would be a lot easier than winning the bet! Looking good!
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 02:39 PM

Very nice!

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 02:50 PM

As fast as you are moving along on this thing, I might just have to concede the bet and buy you your dinner at taco Bell. That would be a lot easier than winning the bet! Looking good!

There will be no Taco Bell that will receive your second dollar, but a Texas Roadhouse will.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 03:20 PM

What's the problem Jeff? You don't like Taco Hell? laugh2 fart

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
What's the problem Jeff? You don't like Taco Hell? laugh2 fart

It's as low on the food chain as it gets. Joel is starting to feel the pressure of losing a bet.

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 07:18 PM

Okay I'm upping the ante. Let's go to White Castle!

Re: The one year challenge - 05/27/19 11:20 PM

Okay I'm upping the ante. Let's go to White Castle!

Someone must not be liking his odds right about now... lowest I'll go on the food chain I'll go is Hooters, to collect my free dinner.
Posted By: ksj

Re: The one year challenge - 05/28/19 12:40 AM

Sounds like it

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 02:43 PM

Ready for the paint booth. Hoping to have color on the car by Sunday night.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-1.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 04:16 PM

Good news. Im sue it will come out nice. A dark color is something I would never consider out here. Just becomes an oven, but they sure look good when done

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 04:22 PM

Sounds like Joel is going to have to get his moldy wallet out! wave

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Good news. Im sue it will come out nice. A dark color is something I would never consider out here. Just becomes an oven, but they sure look good when done

They get hot here as well, but this is the original color to the car. That normally wouldn't even be on my radar, but I'm going for the old school "look", and after seeing it in the daylight, I love the color.

Ted, I'm trying my best to have Joel spend his second dollar, that is tucked next to his AARP card, and probably growing mold in his wallet. It will not even bother me if he uses another coupon this time.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 04:57 PM

Last night, I got the doors jammed. Here you can see the factory interior color as well.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-2.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/05/19 05:13 PM

I'm sure it will look killer when done..

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 12:00 PM

It's painted, and will pass for a 20 footer. Needs a full week, of wet sanding and buffing, but overall, I'm happy with the results.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-3.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 12:06 PM

Beautiful! Will we see it in the pits surrounded by velvet ropes and angel fur, with lights and mirrors under it?

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 01:12 PM

Beautiful! Will we see it in the pits surrounded by velvet ropes and angel fur, with lights and mirrors under it?

laugh2

No...
Posted By: greendart408

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 03:04 PM

Nice,
It's a ton of work.... I'm glad you painted it to the og colors, I'm a fan of that and think they look killer in drag form that way. I assume you will be putting the factory birds and emblems on?

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 03:10 PM

Jeff that's a beautiful color for those who have never seen it and great work. Heck if Joel won't buy you a steak I will. Mike

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by greendart408
Nice,
It's a ton of work.... I'm glad you painted it to the og colors, I'm a fan of that and think they look killer in drag form that way. I assume you will be putting the factory birds and emblems on?

Yes, it is getting the factory emblems, and birds reinstalled. Plan is to get the car all together, and run it, then after some time, wet sand the car, have the lettering, and pin striping applied, like it was in 1979, and reclear the car.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 05:01 PM

Looks awesome!!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/10/19 06:11 PM

Yes! It looks great!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/11/19 09:52 AM

It's painted, and will pass for a 20 footer. Needs a full week, of wet sanding and buffing, but overall, I'm happy with the results.

Ain't nothing wrong with a 20' ter...……...lol hats off to you for doing your own work up

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 03:40 AM

Yup, definetely a 20 footer... wink

Attached picture motorvator roof.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 03:52 AM

Looks bada$$, I really like the build.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 11:39 AM

OK, so maybe a 19.5 footer.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 11:54 AM

A couple of things to mention Jeff....After all of the work you are putting in to the car I bet you are mighty hungry! Number two....I think Joel is going to have to pry open his moldy wallet! work

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 12:34 PM

They should give you a medal for modesty. I received a medal for modesty once. But they took it away when I wore it.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 12:35 PM

If that's a 20 footer, mine must be a one miler. Looks great!!!
Posted By: jughed

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 01:04 PM

drool drool

Gorgeous car!!!! Great build!!

Is that EE1 blue??

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jughed

drool drool

Is that EE1 blue??

Yes it is!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 01:18 PM

They should give you a medal for modesty. I received a medal for modesty once. But they took it away when I wore it.

laugh2laugh2laugh2
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 06:29 PM

Looks beautiful!
Posted By: jughed

Re: The one year challenge - 06/12/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jughed

drool drool

Is that EE1 blue??

Yes it is!

Great color choice.

My '68 Dart will be that color.. if I can ever find a decent painter around here

Re: The one year challenge - 06/14/19 11:16 AM

Some more buffing progress. Hoping to have it buffed in the next couple days, then start installing parts.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-4.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/14/19 02:10 PM

Mirror, mirror on the door....

Your hard work is starting to pay off, looks great!

Bill

Re: The one year challenge - 06/14/19 03:48 PM

Car is turning out awesome.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/14/19 05:17 PM

Looks Great ! Love the color. All that blocking pays off now ! Beautiful ! beer

Mark

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 02:00 PM

Was a very long but productive weekend. Car is buffed, and I started reassembling. Got a ways to go, but overall I'm happy with how it is turning out.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-5.jpg
Attached picture MotovatorJune19-6.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 02:36 PM

20 footer my a$$, that thing is awesome! Great workmanship and skill!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quickrunner
20 footer my a$$, that thing is awesome! Great workmanship and skill!

Thanks. It buffed out to a 15 footer.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 03:40 PM

I SAW YOU USING SOME PPG PRODUCTS WHEN PAINTING THE INTERIOR PARTS, WHAT BASE COAT AND CLEAR ARE ON THE BODY?

REALLY NICE JOB SO FAR

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
I SAW YOU USING SOME PPG PRODUCTS WHEN PAINTING THE INTERIOR PARTS, WHAT BASE COAT AND CLEAR ARE ON THE BODY?

REALLY NICE JOB SO FAR

Used DBC for the base coat, and the local parts store EuroClear. Was hesitant on the clear at first, but I absolutely love the stuff. Sprays nice, lays out decent, wet sands nice, and buffs better than any clear I've ever used. I want to say the clear is made by Valspar, but not 100% sure.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr

REALLY NICE JOB SO FAR

Used DBC for the base coat, and the local parts store EuroClear. Was hesitant on the clear at first, but I absolutely love the stuff. Sprays nice, lays out decent, wet sands nice, and buffs better than any clear I've ever used. I want to say the clear is made by Valspar, but not 100% sure.

HOW MANY COATS ON THE CLEAR?
BE CAREFUL THAT YOU ENDED UP WITH A GOOD MIL THICKNESS, SOME OF THE AFTERMARKET CLEARS REQUIRE THREE COATS OR MORE IF SANDING AND POLISHING. BUT IN YOUR CASE ITS GOING TO GET SANDED AND RECLEARED AGAIN DOWN THE ROAD, I THOUGHT I READ THAT A FEW PAGES BACK
AGAIN NICE JOB, I CAN APPRECIATE IT BECAUSE I DO THIS STUFF MYSELF. YOUR TIME AND EFFORT REALLY SHOW. PICS NEVER DO THIS STUFF JUSTICE IM SURE ITS KILLER IN PERSON

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 04:39 PM

It has 4 coats of clear on it. First coat was pretty light and dry. Second and 3rd coat were medium coverage, and didn't look bad. $th was because I had enough mixed up, to cover it, and didn't want to just waste it, since I knew I'd be wet sanding and buffing anyways. I'll knock it all back down with 1000 grit, before having the lettering, and pin striping done.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/17/19 05:18 PM

It has 4 coats of clear on it. First coat was pretty light and dry. Second and 3rd coat were medium coverage, and didn't look bad. $th was because I had enough mixed up, to cover it, and didn't want to just waste it, since I knew I'd be wet sanding and buffing anyways. I'll knock it all back down with 1000 grit, before having the lettering, and pin striping done.

SOUNDS GREAT !
LATELY I HAVE BEEN USING ALL NAME BRAND HIGH SOLIDS CLEARS, TWO COATS MAX AND IT ALWAYS LOOKS GREAT AT JUST TWO COATS. CUTS BACK ON THE LABOR TIME, AND MATERIALS...I ALWAYS DUMP IT BACK IN THE CUP BETWEEN COATS TO SEE HOW MUCH I SWHOULD BE MIXING....IF I HAVE TOO MUCH MIXED, I DUMP IT RATHER THAN PUT IT ON THE CAR.

AGAIN, LOOKS GREAT, AND YOUR IDEA TO CLEAR AGAIN LATER IS GREAT, ANY SOAKAGE AT ALL YOULL DENFINITLEY GET RID OF IT THEN.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/18/19 12:39 PM

It's going to be really hard to take the car down again, and have to reclear it. I love the way it looks now, but yet I'm excited to see it all

Re: The one year challenge - 06/19/19 11:20 AM

It almost looks like a car again.

Attached picture MotovatorJune19-7.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 06/19/19 11:43 AM

We need a picture with the wheels on it!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/19/19 01:02 PM

I know how you are, If I post a picture with the wheels on it, you will not get anything done on the Coop for 3 days. You, and shiny objects...

Hoping to have wheels on it Thursday night. Waiting on upper ball joint boots to arrive.

Re: The one year challenge - 06/19/19 02:03 PM

Have I mentioned how nice that looks?

Re: The one year challenge - 06/19/19 02:45 PM

Have I mentioned how nice that looks?

Thanks Ted!

Re: The one year challenge - 06/20/19 04:35 AM

Here you go.

Attached picture IMG_3566.JPG
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: The one year challenge - 06/20/19 10:02 AM

Jeez dude...thats...well that's...just crazy... up drool up and yes...I'm partial biggrin

Re: The one year challenge - 06/20/19 11:18 AM

drool
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: The one year challenge - 06/20/19 03:53 PM

What a gorgeous car! Great work Jeff! beer boogie

Re: The one year challenge - 06/20/19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
What a gorgeous car! Great work Jeff! beer boogie

X2! up

Re: ! - 07/14/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Hall
I, for one, can't wait to see that color contrasting with that beautiful engine color! It's looking so good you may be tempted to attend a car show or two...keep going! up

Engine is now in the car.

Attached picture IMG_3769.JPG
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: The one year challenge - 07/14/19 10:06 PM

Very nice work! Looks way good! up
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: The one year challenge - 07/14/19 11:36 PM

Here you go.

Damn, your's make mine look like a refugee from a junk yard.. Fantastic job.

Re: The one year challenge - 07/14/19 11:47 PM

Nice work. That's a looker for sure.
Doug

Re: The one year challenge - 07/15/19 12:52 AM

I see one of these in your future. grin drool

Attached picture duster.jpg

Re: The one year challenge - 07/15/19 01:53 AM

Im sure you have a few extras he could borrow.LOL

Re: ! - 07/15/19 01:02 PM

That is a great looking combo, very nice. It looks like Joel will be buying you dinner soon.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: ! - 07/16/19 02:16 PM

Pretty !

Re: ! - 07/17/19 12:25 PM

punkrocka That looks amazing.

Re: ! - 08/19/19 12:23 PM

Well the Road Runner runs now, and is getting closer to moving under it's own power. The 499 starts and idles better then it ever did in the GTX. I think the new wiring paid off. Still have a bunch of loose ends to finish up, for once, I have a feeling of "It's getting close!"

Attached picture MotovatorAug19-1.jpg

Re: ! - 08/19/19 12:34 PM

That thing looks amazing Jeff!!!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: ! - 08/19/19 12:44 PM

Looking good! up

Re: ! - 08/19/19 12:53 PM

Very Nice ! up

Re: ! - 08/19/19 02:11 PM

Nice...…...when it's time to move under it's own power, get a video scope of it.

Re: ! - 08/19/19 03:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm more then happy with how the car has turned out, and can't wait to treat it like a rented mule.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: ! - 08/19/19 05:47 PM

That car is gorgeous! drool boogie

Re: ! - 08/20/19 02:26 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcK3Pu4VSw

A short video of start up, and a interior door shot. Loving the color combo, as it all comes together.

Attached picture IMG_4067.JPG

Re: ! - 08/20/19 12:38 PM

Very nice! Sounds good.

Track time soon?

Re: ! - 08/20/19 01:51 PM

The car looks great, sounds great! Keep up the good work.
Bill

Re: ! - 08/20/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Just-a-dart
Very nice! Sounds good.

Track time soon?

Hoping to make the bracket race the weekend after Labor Day, at Brainerd. It's probably the best track around here for testing a new car. Long shut down, and wide lanes. Not planning on any new personal bests, just want to play it safe, and work out the new car quirks.

Re: ! - 08/20/19 05:06 PM

Good luck Jeff! you did a helluva job! bow

Re: ! - 08/21/19 02:42 PM

Good luck Jeff! you did a helluva job! bow

Thanks Ted.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: ! - 08/21/19 03:56 PM

Fantastic! Love it!

Re: ! - 08/24/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Triple Threat
Fantastic! Love it!

Looks awesome, are you still on track for the race after labor day?

Re: ! - 08/24/19 08:09 PM

Yes. Painting the decklid as I type this. Got a few days of vacation days to burn up before then. Last night was a very productive night.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: ! - 08/24/19 08:55 PM

Any idea what it weighs now with all of the roll bar tubing added?
LOOKS AWESOME!

Re: ! - 08/24/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by SCATPACK 1
Any idea what it weighs now with all of the roll bar tubing added?
LOOKS AWESOME!

Just guessing, but hoping for 3100lbs with me in it.

Re: ! - 08/24/19 09:45 PM

Cool! Jeff...Was your buddy with the black 69 Dart at Cedar Falls today? wave

Re: ! - 08/24/19 10:30 PM

I can bring my scales over, just let me know

Re: ! - 08/25/19 12:32 AM

DW 2020?

Re: ! - 08/25/19 12:11 PM

Yes. Painting the decklid as I type this. Got a few days of vacation days to burn up before then. Last night was a very productive night.

Now that's skill right there painting while typing, Lol….j/k with ya. grin

Re: ! - 08/25/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ksj
DW 2020?

Joel and I are already planning on it. In Joel's HEMI Coupe.

Ted, no he was not at CFR.

Joel, I will for sure let you know.

Picking the decklid up today. It definitely needs a wet sand and buff, but so did the rest of the car.

Re: ! - 08/25/19 02:28 PM

Jeff you have done awesome and beautiful work. I can't believe how much you've gotten done lately, aren't you and Joel going to dragweek this year?

Re: ! - 08/25/19 03:35 PM

We are skipping Drag Week this year, but will be back for 2020. Kinda bummed, but now I can really focus on winning my bet with Joel.

Re: ! - 08/25/19 03:52 PM

Yes, unfortunately I am scratching drag week this year. I fowled up on the registration and ended up on the waitlist. Now 10 days before we would have to leave I still haven't moved up the waitlist enough to be registered. For the time and money and work that is involved to get ready, and to drive from Minnesota to Virginia in hopes of getting in, and considering how extremely busy I am at work, I'm not going to risk it. Next year for sure!

Re: ! - 08/26/19 07:32 PM

Joel, I'm really getting hungry after all this work... I sense a steak dinner very soon.

Attached picture IMG_4198.JPG

Re: ! - 08/26/19 08:00 PM

Don't start lickin' your chops, it's a long way from your garage to a 9 second pass. wrench stirthepot

But if you pull it off, I'll gladly buy you the dinner. I'll even spring for desert! drool

Re: ! - 08/27/19 04:57 PM

Don't start lickin' your chops, it's a long way from your garage to a 9 second pass. wrench stirthepot

But if you pull it off, I'll gladly buy you the dinner. I'll even spring for desert! drool

Well not sure I want to eat sand, but if you are buying DESSERT also, it's time to put in some late night hours in the garage.

Re: ! - 08/28/19 11:16 AM

Installed the rear glass, just need to finish the trim, and on to the driver side glass. Looking like making the race after Labor day is a good possibility.

Attached picture MotovatorAug19-5.jpg
Attached picture MotovatorAug19-3.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums