Moparts

TTI header fitment

Posted By: 68LAR

TTI header fitment - 07/10/17 11:36 PM

I may be looking for a new set of headers. Anybody have experience with TTI 2" or step headers in a '68 B body with RB engine? I'm looking for input on starter and Lakewood bell housing with 11" flywheel.. I read somewhere that a special starter was needed. I run a mini right now with old CPPA 2" headers and have no issues.
I also read that there may be an issue with clearance around the bell housing?
Posted By: Old School

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 12:34 AM

They fit like a glove👍👍. How you use the same combo on all my cars. Lakewood bellhousing 11 inch clutch. Only thing is on the passenger side you will have to put a half moon notch in the bellhousing. It doesn't need to be very big......
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 12:37 AM

You need a special starter, they run right into a mini starter. Even in the inner position 10.5 flywheel. Other than that they are great.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 12:38 AM

I run the TTI 1 7/8 on my 70 Charger and no problems. They are close to the inner tie rod end at the idler arm but does clear.

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 02:55 AM

Old School,
What about the starter?

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By 68 HEMI GTS
You need a special starter, they run right into a mini starter. Even in the inner position 10.5 flywheel. Other than that they are great.

Is this with a 2" tube?
Also what starter?
Why does Old School say that a special starter is not needed?

I'm confused!!!!!
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 04:27 AM

Mine were 2" stepped. Just the normal mopar mini starter is what they hit.
Posted By: keefe

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 05:22 AM

You might need to know what type head everyone has, raised ports vs. standard etc.
might explain the starter issues.
just a thought...
Posted By: cudatom

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 08:16 AM

The TTI stepped headers and a bdody are tight on the starter. Mine had 1/8 clearance maybe less.
Was concerned that the heat would be an issue so I used DEI heat shield around the pipe. Going on 3 yrs now and no starter problems.
My heads are Eddy Performers.

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By keefe
You might need to know what type head everyone has, raised ports vs. standard etc.
just a thought...

Good thought.. I'd be using Eddy RPM heads with angled spark plug. This is the info I'd be more interested in. I guess I should have added that info at the beginning, sorry!
Lets narrow things down a bit.
2" tubes, Eddy RPM heads with angled plugs, RB block, 11" flywheel with Lakewood bell housing, in a '68 B body. I think that covers it?????
Posted By: mopar65

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/11/17 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By 68LAR
Originally Posted By keefe
just a thought...

Good thought.. I'd be using Eddy RPM heads with angled spark plug. This is the info I'd be more interested in. I guess I should have added that info at the beginning, sorry!
Lets narrow things down a bit.
2" tubes, Eddy RPM heads with angled plugs, RB block, 11" flywheel with Lakewood bell housing, in a '68 B body. I think that covers it?????

My old 65 Plymouth B body had a 440 with angled plug Edelebrock 84 cc heads, 2 inch TTI headers. I just used a mini starter off a 93 dodge 360 magnum engine. The only thing I had to do is take off the electrical terminal adapter. Didn't have to dent any header tubes etc to get the starter to fit. I ran a 727 auto trans. So I cant answer about the bell houseing/ flywheel
Posted By: 383man

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/13/17 10:44 AM

I run the TTI 2" headers and they fit great. Mine is an auto and I use a mini starter. Ron

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/16/17 03:45 PM

A little bump here.

Are there no more inputs on these 2" headers in a stick car application with a 11" flywheel? I'm really concerned with the starter issues. Some say it works, some say it doesn't, very confusing. Can't see spending $740 for headers and another $240 for a starter. Tooo rich for my blood!!!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/16/17 04:44 PM

I had to notch my Lakewood's flange on the passenger side with the 2" RB, TTI's. All the bolts that clamp it to the block saver plate are unaffected, as it didn't go beyond that radius.

This combo goes in my '70 E-Body, but the fitment on the engine trans should be the same. I can take some pictures if you want to see where I trimmed exactly.

Not an issue unless you need to get the car inspected during tech, and then they may not notice it. Any modifications to the scatter shield do affect the SFI rating unless signed off by lord knows who.
Posted By: 1mean340

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/16/17 05:16 PM

Not the same application but I was a little upset with fitment of my 1 7/8th TTI headers for my LA ebody. The headers looked great, I ordered the polished ceramic which had a show quality look to it. Only issue was the driver's side flange bolt holes weren't even close to lining up, the forward most primary tube's holes were about 1/4 inch or more off. It was pretty obvious when putting the header gasket up against the header flange. I had to cut the flange before the #1 primary tube and pull the tube forward quite a bit to get the holes and tube to line up with the port. Not the end of the world, but not something I've ever had to do on high end headers. Everything else fit pretty good and the passenger side flange was fine.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/16/17 07:33 PM

400 with Edelbrock heads in an A-body here. The starter was the LEAST of the fitment problems. They fit but take up a LOT of room and everything in the general vicinity is a pain to get to. TTI has really good charts and diagrams on their website telling you what headers fit with what equipment.

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/17/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
400 with Edelbrock heads in an A-body here. The starter was the LEAST of the fitment problems. They fit but take up a LOT of room and everything in the general vicinity is a pain to get to. TTI has really good charts and diagrams on their website telling you what headers fit with what equipment.

Bin on their web site and they do say for my application, I will need that special starter...
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/17/17 03:43 PM

Just finished installing 2" TTI's on a 69" charger, 11" flywheel,first attempt was with my Dakota mini starter...No go, bit the bullet and bought a Robbmc starter, plenty of room around starter and everywhere else. Bought these headers used for a good price so that justified paying the money for the new starter.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: TTI header fitment - 07/18/17 02:26 AM

Here is some info for you. Maybe some of it can help. I have used TTI headers on several cars. Here are two:

1969 Super Bee. 440, 4 speed, 11" flywheel, cast iron bellhousing, TTI 1 7/8" headers, Carquest/Advanced Auto starter (part number 17466SN).

1966 Satellite. 426 Hemi, 4 speed, 11" AND the 10 1/2" flywheels, Lakewood bellhousing, TTI 2 1/4" headers, Carquest/Advanced Auto starter (part number 17466SN).

Everything fit beautifully on the Super Bee. No modifications necessary.

I did have to modify the Lakewood on the RH side to fit the headers (as per the TTI instructions). Everything else fit perfectly.

The starter I listed fits and works great. Super small and super strong.

Stan
© 2024 Moparts Forums