Moparts

Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ???

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 01:00 AM

Having some issues with a stock crank shaft pulley lining up with the water pump and alt pulley

The Crank shaft pulley is sitting too far "forward" compared to the water pump and alt pulley

I suspect it's due to ATI dampner being a bit wider compared to stock ?,,,therefore making the pulley sit too far out.....

Any thoughts ??
Is there a different pulley I could use ?
I know companies like March, etc sell aftermarket stuff,,,but didn't know if something more "stock" was available ??
Thx,
Doug
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 01:04 AM

The pulley from Doty Machine fits with the ATI damper.

Attached picture DSC_0803 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 01:32 AM

We pulled my brother's 340 out, put this in it's place. We used an ATI damper. Used the stock 340 pulleys. Everything lined right up. Go figure. shruggy

Attached picture IMG_20170412_181524_265.jpg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 01:51 AM

I found that out too. I used a March dual groove pulley set that they list for the fluid damper (10170 kit) but it was too shallow by about 3/8", so Andy sells a 3/8" spacer (AR140?) that worked, but I had to use longer pulley bolts (ARP 612-1500 1.5" long). The result was close, I think the crank pulley aligned with the power steering pulley, but the water pump pulley needed a thin shim to get everything aligned correctly. On the plus side, I have never thrown a belt yet even when hitting 7,200 RPM.

Attached picture pully1.jpg
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
The pulley from Doty Machine fits with the ATI damper.

Stock diameter?

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:00 AM

Thanks everyone!! Appreciate all the info and pics
Andy,,,,I found the pulley on their website. I don't have the sprocket like setup you have,,,, just the ATI dampener. Think it will still fit ?? Will need to do some measurements on the Doty pulley from their website. Thx.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:13 AM

is it pushed in all the way?
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:26 AM

The ATI is thicker as mentioned. Andy is correct on using the DOTY pulley. There's a picture floating around somewhere showing the difference in a stock damper vs the ATI.

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:42 AM

Difference looks to be about 5/16" to get all the pulleys to line up. This is how much the stock pulley is off from the water pump and alt pulleys
Stock pulley is about 2 - 5/16 tall
I need something around 2" tall.
Hoping the Doty will work. Website doesn't give that particular measurement but sounds like Andy has had luck with it. Just wondering if the sprocket apparatus he pictures affects anything ??
Thx guys !!

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:42 AM

Here is the Doty + ATI combo compared to the OEM setup. Very close to correct alignment. I told MD to put a picture like this on his website but I don't think he ever did.

Attached picture DSC_0809 (Large).JPG

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:45 AM

Andy. YOU ARE THE MAN !! Exactly what I needed to see. That will work. Going to order one. Thx. Will see if the stock bolts work ? You look to have ARP in your picture
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:53 AM

It depends on which ATI dampener (two ring or three ring, Chevy three bolt pattern or Mopar 6 bolt pulley pattern) your using to determine which pulley will work on your motor scope
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 02:57 AM

The problem with the Doty pulley is, it's a smaller diameter than the stock pulley.
Turns the water pump slower. I think it's the cause of my low speed issue of running hot.

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 03:11 AM

I am using the 6 bolt mopar dampener.
The effective belt diameter on the stock pulley is 5-3/8,,,, the Doty is 5",,,so 3/8 differential
Hopefully this won't be a issue for me. Running a high vol pump,,, big radiator,,, and big electric fan.

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 03:13 AM

Motor made 660 HP on the dyno. Going into a 70 Challenger. Thx guys !! Doug😎😇

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 03:15 AM

Stock bolts won't work. You need much longer bolts, maybe 1.75 inches.

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 03:40 AM

Thx Andy 😎
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
The problem with the Doty pulley is, it's a smaller diameter than the stock pulley.
Turns the water pump slower. I think it's the cause of my low speed issue of running hot.

Spiff,,,it's the other way around. whistling It's like the pulleys On the the top of the blower,Big on the bottom,,small on top.

Attached picture 3.28.11.jpg
Attached picture 4.14.11 (2).jpg
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/16/17 05:03 AM

FWIW, ATI makes like 10 different "Mopar" pulleys. There is only one that fits the stock pulleys.

Attached picture Pulley and timing  tab2.JPG

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/17/17 05:13 AM

Thx BSB67!! I will check with ATI.

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/17/17 01:09 PM

I don't see anything on the ATI website in regards to pulleys,,I will try and call them,,,thx again
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Crank Shaft Pulley with ATI Dampner ??? - 06/17/17 03:19 PM

my ATI actually went in to far,i had to but a crank spacer from ,i think, MANCINI then it was a perfect alignment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums