Moparts

FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks

Posted By: Dragula

FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/06/17 04:36 AM

Indy got the last order and declined to sign up for another years worth, so get them while you can....
Posted By: dthemi

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 02:48 PM

Figures,,,blocks will be available, but the crank choice will be Bryant, Winberg,,,,or white glue and wood chips
Posted By: Clanton

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 02:51 PM

I asked last year for a stock stroke and they had none[Callies]to go with the comp star rods
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 03:37 PM

Ohio Crankshaft makes Mopar cranks and they were great to work with.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 05:22 PM

MOLNAR
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 05:51 PM

You sure they aren't just waiting on enough orders to come in to make another run? Back in 2006 when Dan Costello ordered my Callies crank for me, he told me to go ahead and get it now (I had planned on waiting) b/c when they get done w/ a run, it may be a while before they make any more. He made it seem like I might be waiting a year or more until they would make any more of them.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 07:09 PM

My understanding was that they made a run of them once a year, sort of based on what Indy ordered.
If Indy didn't make a big order, I can see where they wouldn't do the run.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 07:22 PM

440source
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 07:33 PM

Just business, their loss, someone's else's gain. If they don't have young blood coming up to work (if "they" know what they're doing) they'll fade away like all old business's. They're older than dirt. Heard of any others going out lately?..
Posted By: dogdays

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/07/17 08:24 PM

LA Billet? Just Kidding.

R.

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/08/17 03:00 AM

My understanding was they needed to see an order of at least 200 cranks per year. It kinda shows the Mopar crowd does not buy enough volume to warrant the little bit of business we do provide. Sad really.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/08/17 11:51 AM

Back when I built my 605 I ordered my rotating assembly from Bob George. When he placed the order indy was out of cranks. I got Callies phone number and called and talked with their production engineer. He said they were out and wouldn't make another run until they had enough orders which he said might be 6-8 months. Then he said if you can use a crank with 2.2 rod journals we've got them. That was a NO BRAINER, he said the chevy and Mopar used the same raw forging.
The kicker was indy didn't want to do it that way, I told Bob to tell Russ if they wouldn't order me the 2.2 crank the deal was off. They ordered the crank.Dave

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/08/17 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By Dragula
My understanding was they needed to see an order of at least 200 cranks per year. It kinda shows the Mopar crowd does not buy enough volume to warrant the little bit of business we do provide. Sad really.

I bet they're not easy to deal with either, begging for discounts and all lol.

I'd also bet they sell 200 chevy cranks a week.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/08/17 11:09 PM

Yes but it's yrs ago.
Indy bought all the 4" 340 main ones and it's where I bought 2 from.
Posted By: CROWBAR

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/08/17 11:34 PM

Last time I checked they dropped any listing of Big Block Mopar cranks on their web site catalog This was about a year ago You would think if they were waiting to make a run they would at least keep those listed
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 01:37 AM

We spoke with the people from Calles at the PRI show this past December and the said that the would not make any more Chrysler cranks because there wasn't a high demand for them.They sold the remaining stock to Indy.They have no future plans to manufacture any Chrysler cranks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 01:49 AM

In the day Russ ordered the 4.500 cranks from callies like 50 at a pop with the understanding that he and only Indy got the 4.500 so that all you guys paid a premium for them--you could not get it direct from callies--sweet deal for a decade until they were available elsewhere--then, Russ lost his incentive--if you can't get full tilt price then whats the use right??

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 01:57 AM

When I think how fast ray Barton has gone with a 440 cast crank in a Hemi ( save a little weight) and how hard a stock 440 steel crank will run until issues I don't know what in the heck ya'll can do that a plain old eagle or Source china unit will not do--Really?? The advantage to the Callies was precision machine work--OK I sort of expect that from any plain old grinder--and they were finished very nice--but are they not all the same China forging??--me thinks so I don not believe Callies used anything but import forgings just like everyone else--polish them nice and make them look good charge more
I have run fuel cranks we bought for $100 a pop--cracked all to He$%--mag and scream when you looked --hey ..weld a bung on it to locate the converter nose--grind it 010/010 ( only had to take off about 005 to get there lol) and I KNOW they were plain BUSTED like a spider web--Guess what they ran and ran and ran and eat NOS by the bottle again and again--you oil a crank and your tune up is close you can run darn near anything
I had a state struck wit a 360 --crank busted clean in two--long as you were on the gas it was fine ( sure was a pain when you let out of it ) BUT..it would go to the store and back!!!!!
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 02:25 AM

So you think that Callies was charging at least dbl for a crank vs Eagle because of the machining and not because it was domestic forging?

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 02:33 AM

It might be but I doubt it and gave a reasonable explanation why you were paying a premium for sooo long on 4.500's back when you could only get one from indy--
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 03:26 AM

but are they not all the same China forging??--me thinks so I don not believe Callies used anything but import forgings just like everyone else--polish them nice and make them look good charge more

I don't know about the bb cranks but I can tell you for certain my sb Callies crank was indeed forged right here in the good ol us of a not only was it stamped right in the crank I was also told that straight from Callies at the time of order they even told me the name of the foundry but that I do not remember as it was years ago.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 06:11 AM

When Dan was doing those crank sales,Im pretty sure Dan was getting unfinished cranks and grinding them to what the customers wanted.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 06:37 AM

O.D. the counterweights on a china forging and then do a callies and you will know right away the callies is made with better material. The china crank is super noisy with cherry red chips and sparks flying, they must put old files and what ever old junk they could find in the steel. The callies puts off a curled straw color chip and sounds smooth while cutting.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 12:09 PM

I'm not going to get into the debate on where Callies cranks are made, I' myself just going to buy Molnar and be happy.

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 02:05 PM

Callies magnum are timken steel. The rest are all coolie steel. The Callies mopar magnum was the last high quality, reasonable cost, excellent machined, high power crank available. They could take 1500 hp in stride, and often more. There is no other option of that quality, for same money. I've seen Ohio, Scat, Eagle, all flex, and wipe out bearings from what a callies would have taken in stride.

Having to go to china for a crank, I'd go with Scat, since the machine work is better than the others.

Discarded fuel cranks are great, if you want to buy an adapter flywheel, run factory rod journals, and can use a splined snout (older press fits are not used anymore) and want only one or strokes to choose from.

All this is why there are so few good parts out there for a mope. Introduce something great, and get told a 904 head story, or a factory crank in a fuel car tale. Manufacturers must be insane to deal with old mopar stuff.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 04:18 PM

I'm pretty sure the Callie's cranks were forged in Kentucky.

I think one of the things that put a damper on Callie's mopar crank sales was the lack of blocks for years.
Most guys building street/strip strokers out of stock blocks aren't in need of a Callie's quality crank........ And having to pay $5000+ for an aluminum block didn't sit well with everyone.

When you could buy a megablock or world iron block for less that 3g's, it left a little more in the budget for a "nicer" crank.

On top of that........ The Chinese cranks are definitely finished better than they were 10 years ago.

Like many things that have happened in this hobby over the last 5-10 years....... This is another thing that doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 06:53 PM

Crabman 173 said, "but are they not all the same China forging??--me thinks so I don not believe Callies used anything but import forgings just like everyone else--polish them nice and make them look good charge more."

Once again somebody throws mud without checking the facts. EVERY Callies branded crank or connecting rod is forged in the USA. Five minutes on their website would have informed you.

When Callies started losing sales to Chinese forgings they brought out a new brand, Compstar. The Compstar was/is competitive in price and features with the other Chinese forging brands.

http://www.callies.com/compstar/

If you go to the Callies Website you will see a page for cranks and a page for rods. Then you will see a page for Compstar. The Compstar products are not listed with the Callies parts.

R.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/09/17 11:47 PM

Thank you dog!

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 01:09 AM

I'd like to see some of these 1500 hp bracket race engines I'm hearing about. If, you're in the Pro classes you need the good crank, If, you're out with the Street Outlaws ,maybe, you need one. Like the one guy said, they use a BBC crank forgings, who uses mopar size bearing anymore? All this whining and crying for nothing. Buy a raw forging and get it cut by your favorite crank grinder.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 01:16 AM

SCAT did a fully machined, super lightweight crank for my 470 engine. Might not be quite as nice as a Callies crank, but I don't have any problems running this SCAT in my engine.

If I need to step up past 1000 hp there are several folks making billet cranks. I really like the Callies cranks that I've used in the past but if they aren't going to make Mopar cranks anymore then I'll use Molnar or SCAT for the budget engines and find something else for the big buck engines.

Attached picture DSC_9003 (Large).JPG
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By dthemi

All this is why there are so few good parts out there for a mope. Introduce something great, and get told a 904 head story, or a factory crank in a fuel car tale. Manufacturers must be insane to deal with old mopar stuff.

Again I say Mopar owners are our own worst enemies.
Posted By: jughed

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 12:16 PM

Question for the builders....are Callies cranks marked, or is there a way to positively ID them?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 03:59 PM

Just another quality product that has left the market due to the buying habits of Mopar guys....
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 04:13 PM

What about Crower? They have always made quality products. Are their premium cranks Chinese forgings?
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Just another quality product that has left the market due to the buying habits of Mopar guys....

I did my part and bought a 4.75 stroke last year! smile

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 04:57 PM

This looks like it would do the job. https://www.crower.com/crankshafts/crankshaft-4340-lightweight-chrysler-426-hemi-4-500-stroke.html

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 05:06 PM

I have three engines currently together and running. We have a Crower, Moldex and Bryant cranks in them. All high quality stuff that I wont have to worry about in the future. HP from 1000-1250

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 05:25 PM

Al I think it's easier to [censored] about what's not available than to research what is. Lol

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 05:38 PM

At this point I agree..But there is still stuff out there. Love the KB thread, yeah they definitely had some issues the last few years but how many commenting there will ever order one or have ordered one in the past. We have one of each aluminum block right now..

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
I'd like to see some of these 1500 hp bracket race engines I'm hearing about. If, you're in the Pro classes you need the good crank, If, you're out with the Street Outlaws ,maybe, you need one. Like the one guy said, they use a BBC crank forgings, who uses mopar size bearing anymore? All this whining and crying for nothing. Buy a raw forging and get it cut by your favorite crank grinder.

There are lots of 1500 hp mopes out there on callies cranks. Any big inch combo with a couple kits on it does it easy. The chepo stuff won't take it, period, end of story.

Like is being repeated here, the attitude of too many mopar people is the reason a product like this is lost to us. Not being able to get these cranks in the future is a huge deal. For reasons like Al said, pay 5-7 G for a good aluminum block, and the budget might need adjusting. Well, who wants to put a cheap crank in it? You could, and still can, while they last, go with a callies, and be ok to make power. Later, it's going to be spent 3500+ dollars for a crank that's up to task.

Posted By: Old School

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/10/17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By gsmopar
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire

I did my part and bought a 4.75 stroke last year! smile

Me too. Bought a 4.625......

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Originally Posted By cudaman1969

There are lots of 1500 hp mopes out there on callies cranks. Any big inch combo with a couple kits on it does it easy. The chepo stuff won't take it, period, end of story.

Like is being repeated here, the attitude of too many mopar people is the reason a product like this is lost to us. Not being able to get these cranks in the future is a huge deal. For reasons like Al said, pay 5-7 G for a good aluminum block, and the budget might need adjusting. Well, who wants to put a cheap crank in it? You could, and still can, while they last, go with a callies, and be ok to make power. Later, it's going to be spent 3500+ dollars for a crank that's up to task.

You're missing the point, 99% of the BRACKET racers in this country don't need a $3500 and up crank, now the 5-15 who do make 1500 hp (on motor) probably do. Callie's quit making them because nobody bought or needed them, the $1000 cranks work just fine for our everyday engines. You want your good cranks, step up and buy it, there's a few brands around, just don't blame the mopar masses for not buying them so you could.

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 02:11 PM

No, I got the point unfortunately. The "mopar masses" are too cheap, to buy decent parts. That's why when you go to a mopar race you sit in the lanes for hours while they clean up the oil.

I love mopar cars, and engines, but the overwhelming cheapness that pervades mopar is hard to imagine sometimes.

The loss of callies cranks will hurt what remains of fast mopar racers.

I'm amazed that predator heads are still being sold. The best head to come our way yet, and all you hear is crying about the cost. Throw a china crank under a set of pred heads and see what ya get. You'll have people saying pred motors don't stay together lol.

When a new chevy, or ford platform head hits, they fly off the shelves. Why is it that you see so few predator motors out there?
Posted By: dvw

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 03:02 PM

If you're going to make big power you need good parts, that's obvious. The number of 1000+HP BB Mopar's are few. Therefore not a big demand. It always cracks me up that Mopar guys are "Cheap". We pay more for most of the parts we purchase. Without good blocks and good heads that are readily available there isn't much market for cranks. With cost of a motor in this range going north of 25K makes it tough for the average working man to afford.
Doug

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 03:15 PM

Well I'm just a Military Vet Married to an Active Duty Military wife. Wouldn't say we are rich by any means for damn sure. Hard work and patients have provided me with what I have. Been fortunate enough to move up a little at a time over the years. I prefer to do it once and do it correctly for any serious race effort. Seen the result of inferior parts. Horsepower costs money and to build ANY of the bug three makes to 1000+ hp the cost does not vary much. One reason I have not had my new car out since selling my old one three years ago. Takes me time to build what is necessary to make the power I want to.

Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 03:23 PM

last year when i called callies, they actually laughed at me asking for a mopar crank. he said they didnt have and cores to make me one and didnt know when they would have any. i took that to mean that they wasnt going to make any more.

crower made me one, with all the forging, machine work and hardening being done in california. it did take 12 weeks, but thats ok

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 03:24 PM

They will be a loss for us for sure. And if you think about it, $2300 for a good crank, is right in the ball park compared to a $3500 billet one...

What worries me, if I race for another +10 years, am I going to have to put somthing else in the car just to go down the track?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 03:50 PM

When I started my mega block build I bought
a Callie's crank.. paid $2400.. I wanted a crank
that would handle 1500 hp and the callies unit
was the best one for the money.. that build was
getting everything new.. mega block, callies crank,
B1m/c heads(full porting) T/D rockers and a few
other new parts... but I ended up selling it all
due to rule changes.. mopar people are cheap..
they want the best parts for free or close to it..
as said.. power cost.... JMO
wave
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: FYI....Callie's is no longer making Mopar cranks - 06/11/17 04:13 PM

I'll pipe in here.....who cares? The Callies cranks were almost as expensive as a good center counter weighted crank. Buy a Crower? Spend the bucks for a Winberg, Bryant, etc. Budget buying a budget crank for a 1100HP+ race engine is like going to Mexico for a heart transplant, just saying. I will be upgrading my Scat cranked motor next rebuild. Personally, I'm not sure the Callies was any better than an Ohio Crankshaft.
© 2024 Moparts Forums