Moparts

Surge Tank Size???

Posted By: Blucuda413

Surge Tank Size??? - 05/12/17 04:21 PM

I'm planning to use a surge tank with my bugcatcher system which is sitting on a blown 454ci smallblock running on E85. Naturally the smaller the better because of space constraints. What is the minimum I should consider using. Looks like there are plenty of 1 gal, 3 litre and 2 litre units. What would you recommend???? Thanks, Max
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Surge Tank Size??? - 05/12/17 09:48 PM

The thinking with a surge tank is that under normal driving conditions a standard pump can feed the volume while the pump in the surge tank supplies the pressure. The surge tank holds enough for a "quick blast" but not enough for continuous full throttle operation.

So the vehicle application will determine IF you should use a surge tank and if so, how big it should be.

The volume of the of the pump supplying the tank will have a lot to do with it but assuming a run-of-the-mill pump, you'd want the surge tank to hold pretty damn close to a full pass worth of fuel.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Surge Tank Size??? - 05/12/17 10:50 PM

My plan is to have an Aeromotive 1000 feed the surge tank through 2 Holley float bowls with .150 needle and seat. This will be regulater to approx 9lbs. The Hilborn pump will be fed via gravity feed thru a -12 line. From the Hilborn pump on up will be like Hilborn recommended which is -6 line from the pump to the distribution block and also -6 line as the return line to the tank. Does that give any further insight as to how big the surge tank should be? BTW I will be using E85 also.. Thanks, Max
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Surge Tank Size??? - 05/12/17 11:06 PM

We are in the process of doing something similar. Magnafuel electric pump feeding a 1.5 gallon surge tank at the front of the car.
A bit different set up though... Sealed surge tank with a free flowing top mounted return back to the fuel cell. The surge tank should always be full this way, and can't build pressure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums