Moparts

fuel pump cooling shroud

Posted By: astjp2

fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/19/17 05:35 AM

anyone ever use an fuel pump shroud to cool their mechanical fuel pump?

Attached picture 08-06097.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/19/17 12:58 PM

Being that the pumps are mounted forward on the block, I don't really think heat is an issue. I have yet to ever see a mechanical fuel pump get real hot on its own. It's more important to keep heat off of the fuel line passing the exhaust.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/19/17 01:44 PM

looks like something the TORNADO guys thought up.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/19/17 09:54 PM

Actually its from 1959, some engines have so much heat in the engine bay that it was used to help prevent vapor lock....cold air was ducted from the front of the engine bay via a hose. Tim
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/20/17 01:39 AM

I don't think the shrouds cool the pumps, they probably deflect the heat good though up work

I think my O540 Lycoming motor had one on it, it was mounted in the rear of the motor is what I remember now ten years after loosing that airplane to a hail storm back in 2006 whiney
Posted By: jcc

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/20/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By astjp2
Actually its from 1959, some engines have so much heat in the engine bay that it was used to help prevent vapor lock....cold air was ducted from the front of the engine bay via a hose. Tim

I would have thought for an aircraft, it would be more useful for heating/warming the fuel pump/fuel, since I thought at altitude, temps dropped, especially in inclement weather, and a carb freezing up would be bad. What do I know? realcrazy
Posted By: mopowers

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/20/17 09:49 PM

Not sure how much it worked, but here's another example:

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318fuelpumpshield.html
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/20/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By astjp2

I would have thought for an aircraft, it would be more useful for heating/warming the fuel pump/fuel, since I thought at altitude, temps dropped, especially in inclement weather, and a carb freezing up would be bad. What do I know? realcrazy

The temp does drop.. 3 degrees for every 1000 ft.. but a plane
also has carb heat now days... I did a LOT of work with 4 cyl
fuel foaming when the fuel would boil and vaporize and the
engine would almost die on a hard accel.. we came up with a few
things that worked.. the added volume can and the rubber
isolator that many remember on the 4 bangers
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: fuel pump cooling shroud - 04/21/17 05:49 AM

I would have thought for an aircraft, it would be more useful for heating/warming the fuel pump/fuel, since I thought at altitude, temps dropped, especially in inclement weather, and a carb freezing up would be bad. What do I know? realcrazy [/quote]
The newer (1940 and later maybe)Lycoming aircraft engines, both 4 and 6 cylinders, have the carb. mounted on the bottom of the oil pan with the intake runners running through the oil pan also, usually no problems with carb. ice when warmed up.
I did run into carb. ice once or twice in my 15 yrs. of flying Lycoming powered small aircraft, usually around 8500 Ft or higher in high humid air that was well above freezing OAT shock shruggy
The other major brand, Continental, has the carbs. mounted and separated away from the oil pan and they do get carb. ice a lot easier and a lot more often down
© 2024 Moparts Forums