Moparts

Demon Officially Announced

Posted By: BobR

Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 03:53 PM

Looks like a winner.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new-york/...JWjX?li=BBnb7Kz
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 04:06 PM

You should have to pass a training course before they give you the red key. I give it 24 hours after they begin delivery until someone with more money than skill wraps it around a telephone pole.

840 HP is not for the amateur driver.
Posted By: killermopar

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:01 PM

I love the options this car has, and I think the performance is amazing. But am I the only one not really liking the look? I love the way the hellcats, srt's, and rt's look, but this looks a bit odd.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By killermopar
I love the options this car has, and I think the performance is amazing. But am I the only one not really liking the look? I love the way the hellcats, srt's, and rt's look, but this looks a bit odd.

iagree I think it's the fender flares.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:22 PM

Hate the flares. It's an awesome car though. And wait till stock and super stock racers get ahold of them!
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet
You should have to pass a training course before they give you the red key. I give it 24 hours after they begin delivery until someone with more money than skill wraps it around a telephone pole.

There were a lot of Hipo cars and Lopo drivers out there that wrecked their new toys. Darwin theory at work...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By fbs63
Hate the flares. It's an awesome car though. And wait till stock and super stock racers get ahold of them!

According to the report the nhra has already said no to the Demon.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:53 PM

I'll take one. And you can leave the ugly fender flairs and wide tires on mine PLEASE.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet

24 hours? You're generous grin
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 06:10 PM

youtube vid claimed there is 3 power modes. 757hp pump gas, 815hp 100oct fuel and 1023hp 115oct fuel. that's crazy.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 06:10 PM

Here's another, bigger article: Challenger Demon Hot Rod article.

Interesting that the sound of the Demon idling in the video sounds like a cat purring!

It also says something about first production car with flares, but the Aspen & Volare Street Kit Cars come to mind.

NHRA said "no" only because it doesn't have a legal roll cage for the 9.99 seconds and faster rules. OEM safety features aren't enough at those speeds. That can be fixed, but will add weight.

Otherwise, it's an absolutely awesome achievement.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 06:24 PM

My Wife who is a car Journalist and also a Chrysler family was going to cover the unveiling with myself riding shotgun, but a Family emergency occurred and we were sidelined to say the least.

Have fun guys. It's a winner.
Chevrolet and Ford will be answering soon enough.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
Originally Posted By fbs63

According to the report the nhra has already said no to the Demon.

Goes faster then Saftey rules allow, update saftey and nhra doesn't care.
Posted By: dodger mope

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 06:57 PM

does anybody know what HP level was used,it looks like 815HP?

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 07:08 PM

815 looks right at 9.65@140
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 07:13 PM

I Imagine they used the 840HP that they mention. I believe the previous numbers of the three stages was BS that got spread around.

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 07:31 PM

yeah, 840, not 815. still a bunch.
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 10:05 PM

What's the price before the dealers add their F.T.C. (F The Customer) markup?
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By Locomotion
NHRA said "no" only because it doesn't have a legal roll cage for the 9.99 seconds and faster rules. OEM safety features aren't enough at those speeds. That can be fixed, but will add weight.

Very cool car, but FCA goes to all the trouble to hype this thing up and post the performance at the track, and the car as sold isn't legal to run those times.

This makes me think their target audience is rich car collectors who will never get within a mile of a track's burnout box, rich guys who will be adding it to their expensive toy collection (and probably be the first ones to total them before the guys even make it to their garages), and... rich drug dealers who will flog them to death on the street before they have to report to their next quarterly parole officer meeting.

But I could be wrong.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 10:38 PM

Would it be possible to offer it with a cage that would have to fit every driver?
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/12/17 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By PorkyPig
Originally Posted By Locomotion

Very cool car, but FCA goes to all the trouble to hype this thing up and post the performance at the track, and the car as sold isn't legal to run those times.

This makes me think their target audience is rich car collectors who will never get within a mile of a track's burnout box, rich guys who will be adding it to their expensive toy collection (and probably be the first ones to total them before the guys even make it to their garages), and... rich drug dealers who will flog them to death on the street before they have to report to their next quarterly parole officer meeting.

But I could be wrong.

I bet the legalities of selling a car with a roll cage is something that prevented this from happening. Even in a low speed crash, on the street, your head hits that roll bar and serious injury can occur. It's a liability.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 12:00 AM

Sounds like there's a new market for a bolt in cage for one of these..if it will pass tech. Did they do anything to the frames of these cars from the factory, like tie the subframes together? I have to wonder if these things will start buckling the B pillars...
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 12:25 AM

The cage would mess with the crash zones in the car which would make it tough to make legal with the feds.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:16 AM

It would have no problem being able to run at the 8 tracks that I have run at. NHRA does not own all drag strips.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:20 AM

The problem is that the dummy may be driving the Demon and take out someone that is much smarter in another car. I wonder what it costs to insure one of these things?
Posted By: scottb

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:24 AM

Any prices on what one might cost
Posted By: gp900

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:35 AM

I imagine there will be some great sale prices on the Hellcat now.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:59 AM

Not sure it will affect the prices of NEW Hellcats but ya gotta figure the supply of used will increase because of those that can afford and demand the pinnacle of performance.

Increased supply on the used market means lower prices. How much lower??? Who knows...
Posted By: voigtspeed

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:01 AM

Have to watch the full Chrysler video worth the time...Thing comes with factory trans break. Inter cooler runs off ac system on and on worth the watch. Keep in mind it did this on under 15 pounds of boost factory everything.Most likely a real safe tune..... Now all my wedge stuff is really looking outdated.....
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By scottb

I read earlier that it will be $85,000 and will have a 60,000 mile warranty. Way out of my price range.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 03:20 AM

Me to bob
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Not sure it will affect the prices of NEW Hellcats but ya gotta figure the supply of used will increase because of those that can afford and demand the pinnacle of performance.

Increased supply on the used market means lower prices. How much lower??? Who knows...

I've been watching a B-5 Hellcat since it arrived at my dealer last year. It is down $13K under list now, and no takers. I am hoping it drops another $10K and it will be mine.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 08:10 AM

This whole deal has been a great piece of marketing by Dodge. Articles about these Demon's has been all over my Facebook feed the last couple of days.
GM will come out with a Camaro that will make more, and so it will go. 1000 + HP cars from the factory will eventuate I'm sure.

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 11:01 AM

GM has the copo camaro that has a 427 and is said to have 1000hp. There is a vid of it running a 8.99 at milan. 3 different power plants available for that car.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 11:36 AM

Dave, is that the Hennessy car? Upgrades are a minimum $55K over the price of a new Camaro, but it does make 1000Hp.
The Demon has to be the most comfortable 9 second car in history.

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:19 PM

Not sure https://youtu.be/f03RM5i3cDs

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:38 PM

Heres another.https://youtu.be/6qItrfYVw-E
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 01:56 PM

If the car weighs 4300lbs and a light driver weighs 150lbs, to run a 140mph you need almost exactly 1000hp... something is a amiss. Is the car lighter than 4300, more powerful, or both???

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:02 PM

The copo is a purpose built race car and the demon is a purpose built street strip car. My point was i think there all 1000hp or real close.https://youtu.be/3vD6A6NxySQ
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:03 PM

I'd guess it's like the hellcat and true horsepower is under rated.

As far as hellcats go, there were 3 challengers on the local dealer lot and a charger... my guess, people are waiting for the demon. I read only 3k being sold in the US this year.

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:07 PM

One hp figure i heard unofficially was 1023hp with 115 oct fuel.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:13 PM

Are they rating them by rear wheel hp numbers? 840 at the tire would be 1000+ at the crank.
Kinda like the '98-'02 LS1 Camaros/Firebirds...rated at 305 hp and put down nearly that to the rear tires.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By scottb

My boss told me yesterday that its marketed at 70-95K
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/13/17 02:43 PM

4200lbs without driver. So lets say Leah Pritchett is 100 lbs. The 140 mph says 909hp, the 9.65 says 945hp. Im beginning to believe the 840hp is on 91 octane.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/18/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I'll take one. And you can leave the ugly fender flairs and wide tires on mine PLEASE.

Where's the "Like" button?
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/18/17 08:32 PM

Just read that that 1023 hp is on race gas and the performance ecu you need to get it there is like 3k option as part of that fancy dodge crate/box you can get.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/18/17 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
4200lbs without driver. So lets say Leah Pritchett is 100 lbs. The 140 mph says 909hp, the 9.65 says 945hp. Im beginning to believe the 840hp is on 91 octane.

It's not supposed to be as heavy as a regular SRT

Like 500 pounds lighter
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/19/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By BobR
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Where's the "Like" button?

Fender flares are the cool thing right now, look at how many different kinds of cars had them at SEMA. They might look a little out of place on the dragstrip but would be fine on an autocross track or road course.
Posted By: killermopar

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/19/17 04:08 AM

I think the rear ones look good. But the front ones look out of place with the skinnys.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Demon Officially Announced - 04/19/17 06:34 AM

If the factory or someone stamps the front fenders out of Aluminum or carbon fiber without the front flare mounting bosses, then just maybe Fiat might be able to include those in the trick fix box as both an esthetic and additional weight loss option.
© 2024 Moparts Forums