Moparts

Header size question,,500 " stroker

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 10:53 PM

500" going in the 70 Challenger soon.
(INDY EZ heads, solid cam, etc )
10.6:1 pump gas
mostly street use,,,,,,,,,,so clearance could be a issue and don't want to much hassle installing and working with them...
What size header would you guys use,,,, ?
thanks
Doug
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 11:03 PM

Doug,
My vote would be for either the 2" TTI's or Doug's 452's. http://www.manciniracing.com/dougsheaders2.html

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 11:07 PM

Hi Kevin,,,thanks,,,I was initially leaning toward the 2" TTI's,,,but wondering if it's going to have clearance issues with everything,,eg torsion bars,,etc ( put a bigger bar in it for street duty ) ??
I think the car would like the 2" better for breathing,,,
The link for the Doug's 452 headers looks nice,,,have you used them much before ?? Did you like them,,? better than TTI ?
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 11:08 PM

I run 2" stepped tti's on my sr headed 511 six pack roadrunner. The headers fit very well, only thing I would buy for a mopar.

Posted By: BradH

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 11:17 PM

I run TTI 2" on my RB 452 Challenger with Stage VI / Victor exhaust ports. Clearance is good, torsion bars shouldn't be an issue, but the starter is pretty much trapped behind the driver's side header.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/26/17 11:23 PM

Sounds like the vote so far is for 2" wink
( I have them on my 65 Belvedere w/no issues,,,but this is my first E body ),,,so not sure what i am in for,,,,,
Was going to run a mini-starter,,hopefully this will help..
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 02:20 AM

I vote 2" also, especially since it's not an A-body and the motor is 500".
I even wonder how the TTI 2-2 1/8 step headers would fit your car?
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 02:33 AM

If you go the TTI route, I have found removing the drivers side torsion bar makes the job go much faster and easier installing the starter. Once you remove the torsion bar grease up the end that goes in the lower control arm and the next time you should be able to pull it out by hand, no special tools needed.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 03:13 AM

Thanks Bob and Jim. Good thought on the torsion bar. wink
Posted By: tex013

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 03:18 AM

real happy with the Dougs 452 fit on my 68 Satellite . Easy plug change too

Tex
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By ProSport
I vote 2" also, especially since it's not an A-body and the motor is 500".
I even wonder how the TTI 2-2 1/8 step headers would fit your car?

The step header is designed for a raised port head (SR/440-1) when used on a raised block. They will not work with a std ex port head like the EZ/RPM/Stealth etc....on a 440. They will fit a lowdeck with a raised port head, though.

In this case the obvious choice is the 2in TTI's. That's what I have been using on mine with the EZ's and previously the RPM's with an RB block. The e-body & b-body engine bays are basicly the same dimensionally.

Ron
Posted By: Willie68coronet

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 03:56 PM

I'm about to finally assemble my 446 with ez heads. The headers that I've had in my parts hoard are 2" primary's with 3.5" collectors Dougs D452 un-coated that I've read nothing but good things about here. They look like a real quality piece. But I haven't had header issues. The headers on my 383 are hedmans I got for $150 and never even painted them before installing on the 383 and it's been driven lots through the 15 years and are still good. I expect the Dougs to be at least that good lol.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 04:24 PM

I used TTI 2" headers in a 72 Challenger I used to own. It had a 505 rb w stealth heads.
Perfect fit and excellent quality, and easy install. Well worth the money. Plus you can get the whole system that will bolt right up to the collectors w smooth mandrel bends. I went with the 3" x pipe and ultra flo muffs.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 05:13 PM

Doug, on the Challenger I had I went with the 2" TTI and also their complete 3" exhaust system complete with new tips and the fit was great. A little pricey but they were nice.
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 05:29 PM

Another vote for Doug's here. I never used the TTI's though. I have two sets of Doug's. They have nice thick flanges, and are heavier than the standard headers I've used in the past. Look on Amazon before buying. I found an uncoated, new set there for $375!! Not sure if it was a mis-print, but they sent them at that price. I had them Jet Hot Coated after fitting them to the car. Good luck.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/27/17 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By TonyS451
I used TTI 2" headers in a 72 Challenger... get the whole system that will bolt right up to the collectors w smooth mandrel bends. I went with the 3" x pipe and ultra flo muffs.

That's my system, including TTI's 3" Challenger tips.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/28/17 01:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies !! Very helpful info,,,
Motor is almost done then to the dyno and hopefully in the car soon.
Dwayne at Porter did the heads, intake and picked the cam.
Will keep ya'll posted on the headers.
Thx again !
Doug. wink

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/28/17 02:33 AM

FWIW, I thought the Doug's and the TTIs were basically the same before today. However, when I compared pics of both together, it's pretty obvious that the Doug's is designed even more for fit, rather than performance, than the TTI. The primary tube lengths must vary from as short as 20" to closer to 40".

I know the TTI 2" ranges from about 25" to 41", but averages out to approx 32". Neither are ideal, but the Doug's looks even more compromised. I like the way both are made, but wish I could still use my old Hooker 2" Super Comps with raised-port heads; IMO they are a better design strictly from a performance perspective.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/28/17 11:12 AM

On my 493 I use EZ heads and its 10.6 comp. I run the 2" TTI's and their full 3" exh system. I like them alot as they fit great in my 63 and have given me zero problems. Ron

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/29/17 07:55 PM

I have 2-1/8" Hooked Super Comps on my 528". I think they are choking it down a little but it is what I had for now. Mine still made 840 H.P. with them and 10.5:1 on pump gas.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/30/17 09:34 PM

Thanks again everyone,,, I'm going with the 2" TTIs
Any recommendations on where to get them $$ ? Summit ? Other ?
Might purchase the entire exhaust from TTI while I'm at it.
Doug

Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/30/17 09:39 PM

I bought my from Chicago Connection, was the cheapest place including shipping charges at the time when I bought them in 2014.

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/30/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By 69CHARGERMD
Thanks again everyone,,, I'm going with the 2" TTIs
Any recommendations on where to get them $$ ? Summit ? Other ?
Might purchase the entire exhaust from TTI while I'm at it.
Doug

They have a set of authorized distributors who aren't supposed to sell TTI products for less than they're advertised on TTI's website.

Sometimes you'll see a free shipping promotion that saves some $, especially if you're getting a complete system. Other than that... ?

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/30/17 10:49 PM

Thanks Duster and Brad !! smile

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 03/31/17 05:28 AM

I bought all my TTI exh from Mancini's and it was a good price. Ron

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 04/01/17 06:09 PM

Thanks Ron,,,We visit Detroit often,,,so I could save on shipping @ Mancini,,,providing the wife has a place to sit next to the exhaust system on the ride back,,,lol
Dwayne mentioned our motor setup will be pretty similar,,,hope mine runs as well as your car,,,,
Doug wink
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 04/02/17 03:17 AM

My friend Ron Johnson bought the 2.125" TTI Stepped headers for the 500" LB that we put in his '72 Cuda' last month. We had to use those because of the Indy raised port heads. This was another major leap forward for Ron. He had a tired 383 in the car before and it had some no name headers. The best ETs he had been able to run before were 13.5s.

The engine had been built by a local guy and was offered to him at a swap meet. I saw the engine with the pan off, steel crank, aluminum rods, gear drive, roller cam and aluminum roller rockers. It runs on pump gas and we have not taken it to the track yet(it rains in Washington a lot). He bought a CE roll bar kit and we have a welder lined up to install it (one of my neighbors) We will make a pass or two and when he gets tossed out, he will park it for the roll bar and then try again. He drove it home from my shop to his home in Tacoma and then had mufflers made up. It is not a street car anymore up

He has a Magnum Force front motor plate and no T-Bars, 4 link in the rear and Wilwood brakes. I have offered him my Dana 60-2 in place of his 8.75" because we know that won't last.

Attached picture 100_3836.JPG
Attached picture 100_3844.JPG

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 04/02/17 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By 69CHARGERMD
Thanks Ron,,,We visit Detroit often,,,so I could save on shipping @ Mancini,,,providing the wife has a place to sit next to the exhaust system on the ride back,,,lol
Dwayne mentioned our motor setup will be pretty similar,,,hope mine runs as well as your car,,,,
Doug wink

Thanks for the kind words Doug. wave Dwayne is one of the best out there IMO and one heck of a nice person. Cant go wrong with his advice and build. Good luck with it. Ron
Posted By: Whitey Nocar

Re: Header size question,,500 " stroker - 04/25/17 01:47 AM

don't forget my vote to move the exhaust tips in front of the rear tires AAR style wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums