Moparts

High output Toyota Alternator

Posted By: Scamp408

High output Toyota Alternator - 03/24/17 03:58 AM

I have seen these HO units that mod a 60 amp to 120-140-180 and keep the stk denso case. Has anybody had experience with these
Posted By: mprhound

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/24/17 05:18 AM

I had one of the 120 amp ones, lasted one drag week. Put on for 2015 dragweek did great, came home pulled the trans and motor didn't get it back in until right before drag week 2016, and it went out on the second day. So probably about 1300 miles on it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/24/17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By mprhound
I had one of the 120 amp ones, lasted one drag week. Put on for 2015 dragweek did great, came home pulled the trans and motor didn't get it back in until right before drag week 2016, and it went out on the second day. So probably about 1300 miles on it.

And the biggest problem with it was all that
sitting.. I had a Jeep in the driveway and
it ran fine.. I got a new Jeep so it just sat for
a month or so.. I fired it up and the alt was
locked up.. I hit it with WD40 and in moments
it freed up.. just sitting kills them
wave
Posted By: moparx

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/24/17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted By mprhound

And the biggest problem with it was all that
sitting.. I had a Jeep in the driveway and
it ran fine.. I got a new Jeep so it just sat for
a month or so.. I fired it up and the alt was
locked up.. I hit it with WD40 and in moments
it freed up.. just sitting kills them
wave

you are so right about the sitting deal mr.p. ! i have a 120amp denso that is almost new from a minivan i am going to use on my humpback, and if i don't spin it once in a while, it gets real stiff ! before i install it for good, i'll just disassemble it and clean it up good. what causes these things to rust up so quickly ? the old round and square backs didn't have near the problems of becoming stuck sitting on the shelf. or am i just forgetting they did ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/24/17 03:27 PM

I bought a 100A reman'ed unit from an ebay vendor. The voltage regulator was not consistently regulating, so I pulled it off.

I heard the issue with the higher amp small units is heat...

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/25/17 01:09 PM

They don't sound to promising. Well I have a new 120 amp in the bigger case but I have to space everything out 1/2 inch to use including crank pulley
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/25/17 01:18 PM

Using the 140 amp GM unit and no problems over the last 6 years. I was going to switch over to the Denso Toy version for weight esthetic reasons, but was told to stay put right where I am at.
The GM unit was about 2-3 Lbs lighter than my original Chrysler unit.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/25/17 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By Scamp408
They don't sound to promising. Well I have a new 120 amp in the bigger case but I have to space everything out 1/2 inch to use including crank pulley

Doty Manufacturing makes some nice spacers for pulleys that he can cut to your needs. They are not cheap but very high quality.

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/25/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Using the 140 amp GM unit and no problems over the last 6 years. I was going to switch over to the Denso Toy version for weight esthetic reasons, but was told to stay put right where I am at.
The GM unit was about 2-3 Lbs lighter than my original Chrysler unit.

I am too clumsy...putting a saw blade on the front of the motor would likely result in lost digits
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/25/17 08:44 PM

East Coast Auto Electric will make you what you want.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/27/17 03:07 AM

I'd PM Jeff aka 590Challenger on here with the yellow Drag radial car...he should have any variety you need for alternators you'd want, at a good price too.

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/27/17 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By HardcoreB
I'd PM Jeff aka 590Challenger on here with the yellow Drag radial car...he should have any variety you need for alternators you'd want, at a good price too.
he's the one that told me about the bigger case 120 amp which I have on shelve. But to use it I need to space out everything 1/2in including crank pulley. Looks like my future involves and crank pulley spacer
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/27/17 03:50 PM

I'v been using a 100a from a Toyota 4runner for maybe 10yrs now. no issues. this was bought at a starter alt rebuild shop.

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/27/17 05:50 PM

What year 4 runner? The tag from mine says 50 idle 80amp high rpm or close to that and it's not enough. I think it from a 87 toy p/u
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/27/17 11:51 PM

87 Toyota 4runner is a 70 amp alternator, part number 100211-7570. 87 Toyota pickup is the exact same alternator

CS130 puts out 105 (stock) good power on the low end for street but not a good choice for racing, small bearing in the rear has always been a problem, you sure don't want it on your race car. CS130D (D is for double internal fan) is a much better choice for street, and race, it has a much better rear bearing (and probably front depending on alternator) and double internal fans for street. Makes it stay cool a lot better.

A good Denso is your best choice, and better yet their new style Hairpin alternators are just amazing

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/28/17 12:00 AM

oh, and they do make special wound stators to make that Toyota alternator put out 90 amp or 120 amp where you don't have to change anything around from what you have. It might have heat issue if driven on the street drawing tons of power for too long. Great upgrade for the track thou

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/28/17 12:03 AM

Thanks Jeff...Any PN's or applications you can think of that would be close to bolting up?

I remember looking up some JD applications, but worried about longevity at 6k rpm

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/28/17 12:14 AM

First of all, Denso winds those rotors the same way if they are sticking them in a JD combine, Corvette or a Viper. I would not worry about it, you can always get a bigger alternator pulley to slow it down if you like.
Those stators are special winds, they do not come in anything. Normally if you want more amps than you have you must go bigger. If you need more power and all you do is race, stay with the Toyota one you have and change the stator. Less weight, less rotating mass too.
If you are driving it on the street drawing tons of power at an idle, you need a bigger alternator

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/28/17 12:49 AM

I just needed some more amps as i had a problem with fan and the digital msd with the analogue one it was fine.I am fig another 20 amps.I may just bite the bullet and space it all out and run the JD one and be done.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 03:49 AM

www.alternatorparts.com has a ton of big amperage units for lots of different applications...up to 350 amps !!!...nuts

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By Chassisman
www.alternatorparts.com has a ton of big amperage units for lots of different applications...up to 350 amps !!!...nuts

Randy does good for a one man shop out of his garage, I would have to say he has to be the most creative guys out there.
As far as stepping alternators up to higher amperage from a small alternator you always have to lose something, heat issues, less charge at low RPM. OE makes as small as they think they should to keep things reliable and with the charge being at the RPM's they want. If they could keep making them smaller, they would keep shrinking them until they look like a micro chip by now. You can step most alternators up 35-40% without losing a whole lot of low end power. I guess it depends on what you are using it for. For drag cars you can step them up a lot and keep it small, high RPM's and short run time, perfect.
I sell parts to starter and alternator rebuilders for a living. For the CS130D (normally 105 amp) I think I have a couple hundred 200 amp stators on the shelf to step them up. I talk customers out of buying them. They don't work worth a darn. Kids think they want a 200 amp alternator to run their stereos, fact is these put out way less power idling and driving around town then their OE alternator. They make power but the RPM's must be screaming. Larger alternators step up power much better

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By 590 Challenger

Randy does good for a one man shop out of his garage, I would have to say he has to be the most creative guys out there.
As far as stepping alternators up to higher amperage from a small alternator you always have to lose something, heat issues, less charge at low RPM. OE makes as small as they think they should to keep things reliable and with the charge being at the RPM's they want. If they could keep making them smaller, they would keep shrinking them until they look like a micro chip by now. You can step most alternators up 35-40% without losing a whole lot of low end power. I guess it depends on what you are using it for. For drag cars you can step them up a lot and keep it small, high RPM's and short run time, perfect.
I sell parts to starter and alternator rebuilders for a living. For the CS130D (normally 105 amp) I think I have a couple hundred 200 amp stators on the shelf to step them up. I talk customers out of buying them. They don't work worth a darn. Kids think they want a 200 amp alternator to run their stereos, fact is these put out way less power idling and driving around town then their OE alternator. They make power but the RPM's must be screaming. Larger alternators step up power much better

Is that CS130D a small case denso.. and is it a external
regulator

wave
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 06:50 PM

Good to know...I have a Denso on a DOTE bracket. With my fans and all acc running the voltage meter drops to around 12volts...I watch it like a hawk. I got the alt off a Honda CRX years ago.Not even sure of the amperage. But it works. If I need to upgrade I'll contact you.

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 07:00 PM

CS130D is a Delco unit, it's pretty good. I think I read you have a Denso on yours now Mr. P? I would just up that one to your needs, less weight, less rotating mass, everything already lines up and you don't street drive it
Posted By: Willie68coronet

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 08:15 PM

How are these 120 amp externally regulated Denso's?

91 dodge w350 alt

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/29/17 09:25 PM

CS130D is a Delco unit, it's pretty good. I think I read you have a Denso on yours now Mr. P? I would just up that one to your needs, less weight, less rotating mass, everything already lines up and you don't street drive it

I will be using this on my Rampage.. its street driven
with injection... the part that Willie shows below is
pretty much what I think I need but with a single pulley..
assuming this is the same size as the 70a
thanks
wave

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/30/17 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By willie_68coronet

91 dodge w350 alt

They are pretty good work horses, just a little large. They make self excited regulators to make them a 1 wire too

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/30/17 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

I will be using this on my Rampage.. its street driven
with injection... the part that Willie shows below is
pretty much what I think I need but with a single pulley..
assuming this is the same size as the 70a
thanks
wave

It's probably about 25% larger than the one you have
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/30/17 02:49 AM

how do you identify the denso unit? only numbers I see are 665 D2.
Posted By: Willie68coronet

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/30/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By willie_68coronet

91 dodge w350 alt

They are pretty good work horses, just a little large. They make self excited regulators to make them a 1 wire too

Cool, thanks. So it puts out decent amps at idle? More than the toyota self regulated one or the same? I understand it depends on idle rpm and whatnot.

Re: High output Toyota Alternator - 03/30/17 04:13 PM

Thanks to all. After thinking about it I am going to use the 120 denso. As of now it will have to wait since I have to redo my brackets but another project on my list. I have a nice denso Mopar 90 amp and a denso 50 amp mini I will post forsale soon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums