Moparts

Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags?

Posted By: BloFish

Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/16/17 02:05 PM

A bunch of us are heading to Lodi, Ca this Saturday for this event. I've heard it's a nostalgic good time. Has anyone been there?

http://kingdondrags.com

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/18/17 01:39 PM

Heading out early, hope the weather holds up. 🏁

Attached picture IMG_0566.JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/18/17 02:52 PM

Can't help you with Kindom Drags. But, since you already have the car loaded up you can swing by my place in KY and drop it off. I'll probably be at work so just leave it in front of my shop. LOL

That's my favorite car on Moparts.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/20/17 06:44 AM

For those in the area that haven't been, let me tell you it was an old school good time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/20/17 06:52 AM

I remember reading about race results from the old Kingdom drag race track back in the late 1960s and early 1970. I was racing back then at the old LACR, Antelope Valley, AKA Palmdale track and Inyo Kern tracks.
Is that track east or west of the HWY 99? I'm thinking Lodi is between Famoso and Manteca near Hwy 99, is that correct confused
The link looks like the track is near or in the foothills of the Sierra Mtns. work
I think I was at the Lodi Airport once a long time ago on vacation driving around exploring central CA.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/20/17 07:00 AM

Yes Cab, it is between I-5 and SR-99. Just an old runway
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 05:32 AM

Where is home for You(?) as there is something of the same thing going on in Central California at Eagle Field west of Firebaugh, CA. Here's the link --> http://www.eaglefielddrags.com/ My Pal Ed took his car there and had nothing but fun too according to him.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By Dduster
Where is home for You(?) as there is something of the same thing going on in Central California at Eagle Field west of Firebaugh, CA. Here's the link --> http://www.eaglefielddrags.com/ My Pal Ed took his car there and had nothing but fun too according to him.
Eagle Field is a blast. We print all of their event T-shirts and banners. It's truly an "old WWII TRAINING BASE". It's a little on the dirty side. But the track/runway is all freshpavement. They have both flag starts and full timimng system and tree. Some guys are putting down some fast passes out there. This year there will be a lot of nitro burning cacklefest type cars actually making passes. This isnt a static show.....it's outlaw run what ya brung.....Rocky puts on one heck of a show. Swap Meet....and usually a band in the hanger after the races.
Come on out and experience it.
www.eaglefielddrags.com
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 07:24 PM

Kingdon is still an active airport, landed there several times myself; they close the runway temporarily for the drags.

Attached picture Kingdon.jpg
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 07:57 PM

Both tracks and all of the events are a blast!
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 08:47 PM

Does Kingdon have any timing equipment or do they still use a 'judge?'
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/22/17 08:50 PM

Went there a number of years ago. Was a fun time for sure.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/23/17 05:16 AM

This particular event was not times, just an old fashioned arm drop drag race. They do occasionally have timed events. It was truly a great time

Attached picture IMG_0567.JPG

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 06:58 PM

So, looks like the writing is on the wall for the closure of Sac raceway?

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By mopowers
Has been for a while. But 2020 is it. But...Stockton 99 Speedway has an interested party in opening up a strip at the fairgrounds.....so WE SHALL SEE.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By Chassisman
Has been for a while. But 2020 is it. But...Stockton 99 Speedway has an interested party in opening up a strip at the fairgrounds.....so WE SHALL SEE.

Bring your 9MM or .45 caliber support. Stockton Fairground area is scary.

Back to Sac. I was told by my commercial realtor that Dave and a few neighbors were marketing their combined properties, which includes the track. He has an agreement with the county that states if it is ever sold, the use permit for a race track would not be renewed.

Sad to see ANOTHER long time track potentially go away, but it's been a real possibility for the past 20 years. That is prime real estate for housing developments and planned communities.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ne...-on-market.html
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 08:35 PM

This Sac. thing has been all over the net here in NorJap. Hopefully it doesn't go away soon as I'm leading the S/Pro points! Seriously though, I made my first 10 sec. passes there and have a LOT of great memories from Sacramento. I used to LOVE the "Fox Hunts" back in the 80's.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By cudadoug

Sad to see ANOTHER long time track potentially go away, but it's been a real possibility for the past 20 years. That is prime real estate for housing developments and planned communities.

Yeah, right next to an active commercial airport. rolleyes

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 09:01 PM

Back to Sac. I was told by my commercial realtor that Dave and a few neighbors were marketing their combined properties, which includes the track. He has an agreement with the county that states if it is ever sold, the use permit for a race track would not be renewed.

At least the drag car noise will drown out the gunfire..... on some grudge nights at Sac same thing could be said...rough crowd.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 10:19 PM

At least the drag car noise will drown out the gunfire..... on some grudge nights at Sac same thing could be said...rough crowd.

Lol...yea that is true.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/28/17 11:41 PM

Looks like Redding will be our new Home Track.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/29/17 02:28 AM

I heard a rumor that Thunder Hill owners have contemplated building a drag strip. Probably not a lot of truth to it though.

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/29/17 05:14 AM

I heard a rumor that Thunder Hill owners have contemplated building a drag strip. Probably not a lot of truth to it though.

That would make sense. It's out in the middle of nowhere.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Anyone been to the Kingdom Drags? - 03/29/17 06:36 PM

Not surprised Dave and his neighbors are thinking of selling. The area has changes a lot especially the the base was n the BRAC list. Houses popping up all around. Imagine it will only be a matter of time before noise complaints start to take a toll as well. Afterall it happened to Fontana which was an old steel mill and is an active train yard..
© 2024 Moparts Forums