Moparts

s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet?

Posted By: Ray440

s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/09/17 11:50 PM

There are posts on Facebook and For A bodies Only saying they are available. But Summit racing say they are shipping them in March. I just wanted to pass along the info.

www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-6161t784-c01/overview
Posted By: als499

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 12:07 AM

A-tech is showing they are ready to ship today.
Posted By: Cuda_70

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 08:09 AM

3 versions (of 4) are available since last week from Summit.

Summit TFS-6161

TFS-61617801-C01 1.460" dual valve springs, 270cc intake runners
TFS-61617802-C01 1.550" dual valve springs, 270cc intake runners
TFS-6161T783-C01 1.550" dual valve springs and titanium retainers,270cc intake runners
TFS-6161T784-C01 1.560" dual valve springs and titanium retainers,270cc intake runners
Posted By: 1fastaspen

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 12:22 PM

1st run is shipped and 3-4 weeks on the next shipment is what I was told by trick flow but then again they also told me that the 270cc head was non max wedge port but turns out they are a max wedge port

Attached picture IMG_1224.PNG
Attached picture IMG_1225.PNG
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 03:13 PM

Wait... all this waiting and they want 600 bucks more for a pair of heads that flow 17 CFM more? And flow no different up to .400 lift with a 30 cc bigger port? With the same exhaust port? Really?
Posted By: BradH

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 04:11 PM

I noticed the description says raised runners; the pics on Summit do show an intake port configuration like an Indy EZ where it's raised and extended enough to use a valley cover, instead of an OEM-style pan.

The CNC finish is TF's Competition style, not the Street style used with the 240s.

For all the changes, I would have expected higher flow rates. However, TF chose to stay with standard-offset intake rockers, so there is only so much port area available to work with when you have that constraint built into the design.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 04:43 PM

Until someone fixes the crappy valve position which opens right into the cylinder wall they can throw all the port size they want at it. Somebody really needs to do a better head and so what if it requires different valve notches in your pistons--look at the success of the Kaase P51. J.Rob
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 05:07 PM

Correct RAMM 👍👍👍👍👍
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 05:39 PM

$600 more??

I see $380 and $400 more, per pair, depending on which spring package you get.

Still an incredible bargain IMO.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
$600 more??

Dwayne are those flow #s legit? Seems high for .600 lift?

Don
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 06:23 PM

Not positive but I think it was Larry Smith in North Carolina posted some pictures of the 270 heads on Facebook yesterday and is going to do some testing and see what they are capable of after some port work.

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By cudadon
$600 more??

Don

TF's advertised intake #s for their MW 270 are very close across the entire lift curve to the standard-port Victors that Dwayne did for me last year. I don't see anything out of line with TF's claims.

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By RAMM
Until someone fixes the crappy valve position which opens right into the cylinder wall they can throw all the port size they want at it. Somebody really needs to do a better head and so what if it requires different valve notches in your pistons--look at the success of the Kaase P51. J.Rob

I hear ya'...
Posted By: KOS

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 07:12 PM

harland sharp only???
Posted By: AndyF

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By KOS
harland sharp only???

That is just what Trick Flow recommends. Obviously lots of other rocker arms fit (or can be made to fit).

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 08:33 PM

$600 more??

Don

The numbers don't seem out of line, but they're just "numbers" to me until I get the chance to put one on the bench.

The advertised numbers for the 240's and the numbers I got weren't that far apart, and I'd expect the same from the 270's.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/10/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Not positive but I think it was Larry Smith in North Carolina posted some pictures of the 270 heads on Facebook yesterday and is going to do some testing and see what they are capable of after some port work.

Saw that too.
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/11/17 06:25 AM

Larry Smith opened my 240s up to 249CCs, they flow 370 @700 lift.
It will be interesting to see where the 270s end up, with the design limitations.
Posted By: 1fastaspen

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/11/17 12:10 PM

Larry is working on a set of the 270cc heads going to be interesting to see how much more is left in these heads

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/12/17 07:49 PM

$600 more??

Don

The numbers don't seem out of line, but they're just "numbers" to me until I get the chance to put one on the bench.

The advertised numbers for the 240's and the numbers I got weren't that far apart, and I'd expect the same from the 270's.

They appear to be better than the MW SR's you did for me?
TF has same size int valve, but smaller ex valve.
What volume do the MW SRs have?
Thanks, Don
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/12/17 08:08 PM

$600 more??

iagree

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/12/17 09:28 PM

$600 more??

Don

They appear to be better than the MW SR's you did for me?
TF has same size int valve, but smaller ex valve.
What volume do the MW SRs have?
Thanks, Don

You're comparing a newly designed, fully CNC ported head with a stage 2 ported head that was designed over 20 years ago.
I would hope at least "some" progress has been made in that time.

You're also comparing flow numbers gleaned from different sources.
Those should never be considered truly "apples to apples".

The SR's start out advertised as 261cc.
At MW size, stage 2 ported, they are probably still only 270-275cc.

Fully CNC ported from Indy the SR's are 295cc, and are bigger than that from some other porting services.

A little refresher for Indy heads:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1168215/1/indy-bb-head-data.html

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/12/17 09:52 PM

Well yeah but these heads will probably be good for 750 hp on a pump gas 470 inch big block which is good enough for most of the bracket guys out there. Might not be the best design possible for a Mopar but they look like a very, very good bolt on type head.
Posted By: CSK

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/12/17 10:03 PM

[/quote]

You're comparing a newly designed, fully CNC ported head with a stage 2 ported head that was designed over 20 years ago.
I would hope at least "some" progress has been made in that time.

You're also comparing flow numbers gleaned from different sources.
Those should never be considered truly "apples to apples".

The SR's start out advertised as 261cc.
At MW size, stage 2 ported, they are probably still only 270-275cc.

Fully CNC ported from Indy the SR's are 295cc, and are bigger than that from some other porting services.

A little refresher for Indy heads:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1168215/1/indy-bb-head-data.html [/quote]

Thank you Dwayne for all the information you share with us.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/13/17 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF

Well yeah but these heads will probably be good for 750 hp on a pump gas 470 inch big block which is good enough for most of the bracket guys out there. Might not be the best design possible for a Mopar but they look like a very, very good bolt on type head.

iagree
Wouldn't a cylinder head that delivered more exceed the limitations of stock production blocks anyways?

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/13/17 06:55 PM

Thanks Dwayne a lot of good info!
I think mine does well with the heads you ported 765 hp on dyno and 9.08 146 @ the track @ 2850#s.

Don

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/13/17 07:41 PM

Obviously, the TF 270 heads are too new to know just where the upper hp limit is for "easy" hp, but I kinda feel like the SR design might actually have more "potential" with it's taller floor and raised exhaust port.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the TF 270's will be flying off the shelves.

And Don, your motor is a good example of how good a well machined and thought out motor can run.
Nothing exotic or high maintenance in it....... Solid mid-700hp....... Can't go wrong.
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/13/17 11:26 PM

What's the consensus (opinion) on a set of the TF 270's on a larger engine......say 530 to 550 cubic inch ?

Big bottleneck or ?
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 01:35 AM

Thanks Dwayne a lot of good info!
I think mine does well with the heads you ported 765 hp on dyno and 9.08 146 @ the track @ 2850#s.

Don

Do you mind sharing your combo with us
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By SILVER67
What's the consensus (opinion) on a set of the TF 270's on a larger engine......say 530 to 550 cubic inch ?

Big bottleneck or ?

My OPINION is those heads are probably OK for the common 493 to 511 stroker street car, but a more serious engine at or above that displacement needs a more serious head.

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 03:17 AM

Big bottleneck or ?

I'd say that question is worthy of my std response(for most things engine combo related):

"It depends"

And......

Until there are quite a few sets in service, and various combos have been built using them...... I don't see how there could be any type of "consensus" about any aspect of their performance.
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 03:43 PM

Fair enough.........I'm in the process of starting a pump gas 540, so just like to see if these would fill the bill or if I'd be wiser going to a larger head.

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 05:41 PM

LD 496 ci, machined and assembled by Ray Barton.
640 flat tappet, 12.8 comp. 400-3 manifold ported by Wilson.
1050 Dominator on E 85 SR MW ported by Porter Racing (Dwayne)
69 Barracuda back halved with 4 link and tubular K frame with front steer rack by LRT Chassis, torqueflite by A and A trans, 4.30 in a Fab 9, 14x32 MT slicks.

As Dwayne said easy maint. I think I couldn't go with much more HP without going to an after market block?

Don

Attached picture cuda and I cropped.jpg

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 05:58 PM

Fair enough.........I'm in the process of starting a pump gas 540, so just like to see if these would fill the bill or if I'd be wiser going to a larger head.

Just depends what you're trying to do with the engine. If you want 700 hp on pump gas the Trick Flows will do that for you. Peak power might be in the 6500 rpm range which works good for a street engine but could be a little low for a drag race only setup.

Re: s anyone ordered the New Trick Flow 270 Heads yet? - 02/14/17 06:10 PM

As has been brought up in the other TF thread, I really don't think the MW version of this head is going to break any new ground.......other than what you get for the price.
Whatever these heads are capable of, there is already another head available that will get the job done.

This isn't any different than the multitude of 23deg SBC heads offered up by all the various head manufacturers.
There is rarely any solid consensus as to which one of any different port volume(200,210,220,230, etc) is "best".
Different builders have their favorites, all work well.

I feel the same will be true with this TF 270 head.
If it fits the requirements of the intended build, I'm sure the results will be satisfying.

I will say that if the fit and finish of this new head is as nice as the 240 head(no reason to think it wouldn't be), for the price, they will be very hard to beat.
© 2024 Moparts Forums