Moparts

R5P7 Builds

Posted By: Porter67

R5P7 Builds - 02/02/17 05:58 PM

Has anyone had any really good productive luck merging these into a drag motor, I keep up on the couple on this site but still am not overly impressed.

I see they still sell ready to run ones on ebay for like 14k, Ive every single part and them some to build a brad new one and im at 8k in parts so I figure maybe 2k in machine work max.

But is it really worth it, to be that different?

I think street car, street rod, resto mod might be a better place for it.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/02/17 06:17 PM

Buddy of mine took a Busch motor ( restrictor plate motor), had a dinky 248/258 cam, 12 to 1 compression. Stuck it in a 68 Dart. Ran a 904 behind it and a 4150 carb. 2 inch W2 headers he tweaked to fit.
At 3000 ish pounds it went low 9.40's at 143 mph best. Shifted it at around 7800.

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/02/17 06:31 PM

Was that a nascar cam or a reground core?

I hate to admit it but I dont even know what comp ratio mine will figure out to be.

Im more like 3600 pounds.

I do have a g force 101 I bought for the project.

Like many I got most my stuff from Scott E. and ive got a set of the nascar headers but have no clue what chassis they will fit, but they were cheap enough not to pass up, even to cut up for parts.

Im a little skiddish on getting the block work done, I need to find a shop that can handle it.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/02/17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Was that a nascar cam or a reground core?

I hate to admit it but I dont even know what comp ratio mine will figure out to be.

Im more like 3600 pounds.

I do have a g force 101 I bought for the project.

Like many I got most my stuff from Scott E. and ive got a set of the nascar headers but have no clue what chassis they will fit, but they were cheap enough not to pass up, even to cut up for parts.

Im a little skiddish on getting the block work done, I need to find a shop that can handle it.

Nascar cam it came with. Whole lot more on the table with several changes
Posted By: Leon441

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/03/17 07:25 PM

You must not be in the right circles.
Dodge R5
Mopar R5
Mopar/Dodge R5 swap and Tech
These are all fb pages full of drag racers running these.

Installed a eei chip gannassi cup engine engine in my car 5 years ago. With a truck roller cam went 5.82@118 in 3,000 lb car with a best guess converter.

Been running these R5 ever sense. A few years back designed a bell housing to use with Reid case pg and t400 transmissions. Sell the whole kit. A couple folks made adapter plates for transmissions. We all have had trouble keeping up from time to time. I took the plunge and order 15 from manufacturer and sell a complete kit with flexplate. Also sell complete transmissions.

I have been 5teens with the r5 I run now. If not for some failing parts in rear suspension would have ran in the high 4's based on 60ft and mph.

Quite a few in Europe and Australia drag racing these also. Haven't seen anyone take the R5 out to go back to what they had.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/03/17 07:33 PM

What is the weight of one of these engines in complete trim?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/03/17 08:33 PM

Good question
The block is skirted like big block with 6bolt main caps. But, the crank, rods, and pistons are light. Add 15-25 lbs for dry sump.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/04/17 12:30 AM

Anyone looking for an R6 block? I'm going a different direction

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/04/17 12:38 AM

You must not be in the right circles.

Your very very right, im just now at a point in my life, health and budget wise to move forward on the combo.

By no means am I meaning to discredit the ones who run them now but more rather Im in copy cat mode on the hard work of others.
Posted By: LA360

Re: R5P7 Builds - 02/04/17 03:11 AM

There aren't many people that have really got after it with these engines. Reality is they'll make as much , if not more than a SB2.2 engine.
I know someone who started working on a 358 for A/EA in Comp Eliminator, but pulled the pin because he didn't think the interest would be there. This was close to 10 years ago.
© 2024 Moparts Forums