Moparts

Win Saturday, new best on Sunday...

Posted By: Dave Hall

Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/30/17 08:44 PM

Throttle stop linkage came apart on New Years Day. I "fixed" the car in the garage while going over everything for this weekends race. I thought I had it fixed but I connected the linkage with a cam in the wrong position and while the secondaries were opening the primaries were closing. Not an easy fix on a hot car at the track. I got burned but I got it done and got one good time run Saturday then went 5 rounds for the Super Pro win at Sonoma.
Sunday I sat out the first two cold a$$ time runs. I cleaned up the car and went over everything. I made the last time run and got out past 60' and noticed the car hadn't made the shift so I reached over and shifted it. The pass seemed really good and fast and I was surprised with a -.002, 9.15 at 146 and change. It went 5.82 at 118 in the eighth. I went back and checked the shift routine and low and behold my shifter was missing the piece that the automatic plunger rams into to move it forward. No time to get it apart and fix it so I replayed the run on the Mega450 and I shifted at 7,200 rpm. A little bit more rpm than I really wanted to run so I set my shift light to 6,800 and put a 9.20 on the car for 1st rd. When I let go of the button I thought all day long that I was RED! The tree came down and lo and behold it was .003 green and the chase was on. Because of the thought process about being red, not to mention the force of habit, I forgot all about the shift light and short shifted at 6,400 according to the replay. My opponent was .005 and dead on 7! I got waxed! I probably could've got under him if I had shifted correctly but a 9.24 on the brakes wasn't close. Great weekend at Sonoma with perfect weather in the afternoon.
It's funny that I was having a good conversation that morning with another racer who was telling me all of his automatic shifter woes and why he disconnected his.
So! Do you think that if I removed the 240lbs. of ballast and replaced the throttle stop with a super sucker my car would go 8's??? shruggy
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/30/17 09:17 PM

The weight will help more than anything for sure. Don't get caught up in the 100lbs is a tenth BS cause it pretty much is just that BS. Especially as you start to go faster. I would expect 240lbs might net you .1 or so, unless the 60' picks up markedly. FWIW we ad 195lbs to the heads up car to run back east and slowed us MAYBE .02 and that was all down low. BTW I am sure the air was really good as well. It sure was in Vegas as the Dragster had a new best too by a boatload.

Apparently it likes a bit more RPM, could be a couple reasons why it does that. Could be happier at more RPM or could be fallback on shift is closer to where the engine wants to be allowing it to accelerate quicker. The stoo is costing some power too, we tested mine on the dyno and found it cost mine 10-15hp, the old butterfly was 40ish hp!! Spacer may help a tad as well, don't remember which intake you have. At any rate congrats on the new best and best of luck chasing those bracket points this year!!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/30/17 09:59 PM

The 60's were 1.300 to 1.307 in ten runs over two days. I've seen 1.22 there at Sonoma so I was actually pretty impressed with that 1/8th mile with a 60 that was 8 hun slower than my best. The air was a delicious -900!!! It definitely likes more rpm, I'm just not willing to beat on it. Still leaving at 4,000. The stop is a POS that needs to go. It's all out of the box 440-1 stuff single plane dominator. I have the suspension and shocks really good for the weight that's in it so I'm leaving it in for now as it's all in the trunk.
I signed up for Sacramento points but not Sonoma. There are two points races at Sac. on Feb. 12 as I am still in (3rd. rd.) for the New Years race that was not completed. So maybe I'll buy one of those HVH deals for then and see what happens. I kind of like being able to put the old slug Super Street program in if the track gets crappy or whatever. That won't be an option with no stop. I need to get a good stop for the car if I continue to do the Street or Gas thing...Thanks for the luck! I need all I can get!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/30/17 10:23 PM

Hey I love my disc stops, but they do require maintenance from time to time. Never used an electric one though smile We even got the old two ton Chevelle working great with one, even though it is kinda slow smile

Man work on the 60' and it should fly. I assume you have the smaller RB intake like we do on the dragster. We run the same OOTB head with a good valvejob too. I deal has a nice 2" shearplate/spacer on it and seems to work well. Engine will be coming out of it soon and a B1 taking its place. Be fun to slide the B1 in that car of yours and see what it will do smile

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/30/17 10:26 PM

My car is pretty bada$$. Anytime you want to do the swap! It'd take us about 15 minutes! smoke
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/31/17 01:34 AM

Quote:
So! Do you think that if I removed the 240lbs. of ballast and replaced the throttle stop with a super sucker my car would go 8's???

Only one way to find out grin drive
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 01/31/17 01:50 AM

NICE............. thumbs

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/13/17 07:40 PM

Got another Super Pro win yesterday at Sacramento. I also went red in the final of the New Years Day make up race. I ran 8 rounds in a little over 2-1/2 hours. 3 rds. were 1/8th mile. Running a short shift 9.30's program. Not as consistent as Sonoma but got it DONE! I'm freakin' BEAT!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/13/17 08:37 PM

Congrats on the amazing start to the season!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/13/17 08:41 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 12:27 AM

Nice. I'm still looking at little piles of snow.
Doug
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 12:44 AM

up

As always, we'd like to see some pics of your car and engine. grin

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 05:19 AM

Thanks guys! Here's a couple pics.

Description: This is Sacramento Raceway sometime in 2015.
Attached picture IMG_0111.JPG
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 05:38 AM

Damn dude! That's in da weeds!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 05:51 AM

It's actually almost as high as it can go. Was lower when new. I put the 22.5's on the front looking for some reaction improvement. It is low though. Pain getting it up high enough to remove the rear tires.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 05:58 AM

Sacramento Raceway New Year's Day 2017.

Attached picture IMG_0110.JPG

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 06:04 AM

Cool little trophys I picked up yesterday.

Attached picture IMG_0109.JPG

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 06:15 AM

This is the 493 when it was new with the Edelbrocks. 2005

Attached picture IMG_0112.JPG

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall

Congrats and bad ass lookin car man............ beer

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 06:52 AM

Thanks Dom! This is Al and I in the LVMS staging lanes, spring 2013, when he was winning EVERYTHING!

Attached picture IMG_0113.JPG

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 07:40 AM

Cool pics on Sacramento Raceway's Facebook page from yesterday.

Attached picture 16684212_1410350845655313_3199878617915453845_n.jpg
Attached picture 16708212_1410350868988644_3361622254329356691_n.jpg
Attached picture 16730209_1410350875655310_3276868280916505968_n - Copy.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 12:54 PM

what's the combo? Weight of this?
I'm kind of into these e-bodys cool
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 03:30 PM

HITTER!!! nice weekend... love that Sac track.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By racerx

what's the combo? Weight of this?
I'm kind of into these e-bodys cool

I need that scoop man............part number? beer

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 07:20 PM

It's all basic .030 factory block, filled and girdled. Eagle rotating 4.15 crank. Can't remember if they are Ross or JE domed pistons 13-1 or so. It was measured out to 12.9 with 84cc Edelbrock heads and now has OOTB 72cc Indy -1 so maybe some of you mathematicians can help me out with the guesstimate here. Milodon gear drive, I have a Jesel belt for it but won't install it until I get the heads ported with a different cam. It's a Cam Motion I believe, .690-.632 lift, T&D rockers, Comp lifters that get rebuilt every 250-300 passes, Smith Bros. 5/16 pushrods. Indy 4500 intake, OOTB 1050 dominator on top of a POS TS-5 electric stop. Holley Volumax dual -8 inlet, -6 return, -10 to a BG 4-port, -6 to carb, big 7-8 gallon fuel cell mounted at the front bumper. Single hose from the dragster pan, swinging, two hose pickup, to a Peterson, huge, 2-quart filter adaptor with a Wix Racing and now K&N wrench-off filter. Tired Mezier water pump, Moroso Vac. pump no relief. MSD 7AL-3, crank triggered, locked out at 34. Custom, equal length, 2-1/8 to 2-1/4 to 2-3/8 to 4" merge. Mike's glide with a 180 1st, Hughes 8", 6500 stall. Fab9, 4.29 ratio, 33X10.5W M/T's. and bada$$ Lamb brakes. The car weighs right at 2,600 with me in it so it has 190lb. weight bar at the back of the trunk and an extra 47lb. XS Power battery to make the Super Street 2,800lb. min. M/S tube, 4-link, strut. I hope that answers everything for ya. Nice Challenger!!!
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 10:10 PM

Great job on the recent wins Dave, glad to see you found another way to have fun with that car instead of always stop racing. I was wishing I had loaded up my junk for that last Sears race as I probably would have got an 8 if I turned my Grid timing deal off with those mine shaft conditions. Sounds like we will be pretty close to heads up now if we meet up, hopefully will be out for the March race.
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 10:13 PM

Dave,.. Congratulations. Did You beat Robin Crowton in the silver Demon in the Final? You are gonna 'Rep' Team Sac at Div 7 Finals at Las Vegas right? Again,.. Congratulations.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/14/17 10:22 PM

Thanks! Sure has been a nice winter duldrum, attitude adjustment for me! No, Joe Leavitt in the 1/4 mile Sunday race. I red lit in the other final to Wes Eisenga in the 1/8th makeup race. Robin and I met at Sonoma a few weeks back and talked again this last weekend. Cool Dude! Nice car! The plan is to participate in the ET Finals. We'll see how it goes... Been thinking about hitting Al up for a plate to replace the stop.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/15/17 12:54 AM

It's all basic .030 factory block, filled and girdled. Eagle rotating 4.15 crank. Can't remember if they are Ross or JE domed pistons 13-1 or so. It was measured out to 12.9 with 84cc Edelbrock heads and now has OOTB 72cc Indy -1 so maybe some of you mathematicians can help me out with the guesstimate here. Milodon gear drive, I have a Jesel belt for it but won't install it until I get the heads ported with a different cam. It's a Cam Motion I believe, .690-.632 lift, T&D rockers, Comp lifters that get rebuilt every 250-300 passes, Smith Bros. 5/16 pushrods. Indy 4500 intake, OOTB 1050 dominator on top of a POS TS-5 electric stop. Holley Volumax dual -8 inlet, -6 return, -10 to a BG 4-port, -6 to carb, big 7-8 gallon fuel cell mounted at the front bumper. Single hose from the dragster pan, swinging, two hose pickup, to a Peterson, huge, 2-quart filter adaptor with a Wix Racing and now K&N wrench-off filter. Tired Mezier water pump, Moroso Vac. pump no relief. MSD 7AL-3, crank triggered, locked out at 34. Custom, equal length, 2-1/8 to 2-1/4 to 2-3/8 to 4" merge. Mike's glide with a 180 1st, Hughes 8", 6500 stall. Fab9, 4.29 ratio, 33X10.5W M/T's. and bada$$ Lamb brakes. The car weighs right at 2,600 with me in it so it has 190lb. weight bar at the back of the trunk and an extra 47lb. XS Power battery to make the Super Street 2,800lb. min. M/S tube, 4-link, strut. I hope that answers everything for ya. Nice Challenger!!!
Thaxs up .....can't get much more detail than that.

Thumpman that a 5" vfn hood wave

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/15/17 04:16 AM

I was thinking VFN as I saw it years ago when I bought my dash. Didn't want to steer you wrong Dom!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/15/17 06:03 AM

It's a cowl hood Dom!!...... only mounted on backwards laugh2

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/15/17 06:16 AM

haha

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 02/15/17 08:00 PM

Congrats on the great start again Dave!! All those years battling in the .90 stuff pays off I guess smile

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 06:23 AM

Got another win today. 6 rds. of Super Pro at Sac. No byes. There car was so good that I really only had to make any decisions or race the stripe twice! Raced buddy Jeff Shaw in the "Iron Worm" 69 Roadrunner in the 4th Rd. Also I got to the final on Feb. 26 (Moms b-day) but was runner up. So far this year, I've participated in all rounds offered at 5 outta 6 races. 3-2. Unbelievable! The car is just so awesome right now. I attribute a lot of it's consistency to the new M/T 10.5's and VP fuel. Decided to go to Vegas for the div. 7 event and race Super Street and stay over for the Spring Fling. I've always wanted to go to the Fling but I was always tied up working.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 06:28 AM

Congrats on both up
wave

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 07:15 AM

Thanks Mike🤓
Posted By: dvw

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 11:13 AM

A dream year for us mortals, congrats.
Doug
Posted By: Tig

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 12:23 PM

Nice win, nice PB and nice ride up

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 04:50 PM

Nice Dave!! Keep it rolling in Vegas!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 04:52 PM

Thanks guys! What's a PB??? Are you guys going Dustin?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 05:18 PM

PB= personal best
wave

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 05:37 PM

Brain fart! Couldn't, for the life of me, figure it out... eyes

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 06:04 PM

We will keep the light on for you smile

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 06:09 PM

Not this year, using up a bunch of vacation time this spring on a trip to Europe so have to sit Vegas out.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 03/20/17 06:51 PM

Too bad Dustin... Thank you Tom Bodett!!!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 02:09 AM

I have to update the bad along with all the good that went on so early this season.
I made/saved enough money to go to Vegas for the Div. 7 event and the Spring Fling bracket race. I had a tough time converting the car back to the stop but ended up with a trip zip light and an 11.033 on the 11.05 index on my last time trial. The perfect light gave me a 1st rd. bye and I was -.009 (adding .010 to the box)dead 3. I added another .015 to the box which was more in line with what I had used in the box previously and went .020 and won a double breakout with another 11.033 on the brakes. Al and I talked about the weather coming to me and leaving it ALONE. NO adjustments necessary. 3rd rd. I was .013 and 11.040 again on the brakes winning a double breakout. 4th rd. Al and I talked about the setup being perfect and me being one of the two remaining cars that could go 140. I did the burnout and thought about the previous light being a .013. I looked over at the Mega 450 and said to myself "let's try for a .010." So I took .003 out of the box and that's where my lucky streak ended because I was...
You guessed it....003 RED!!! I was soooo MAD at myself. mad
I just had to touch it! Couldn't trust the process and my good friend. Thanks again Al for leaving the light on and everything you helped with at the track. Sorry I let you down bro.
On to the Fling and the car torched the head gasket between cyls. 4-6 adding insult to injury and now I've missed 3 points races at Sacramento (4 total) where I'm leading the Super Pro points. Don't know when I'll get around to fixing the car as I am still pretty disgusted with myself. Maybe I'll just pull the motor and go through everything and start again next year. It was fun while it lasted though.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 02:26 AM

THAT is an awesome shot. U need to make a big poster and frame that for your office/shop wall.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 02:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEuryooxcsI

Here is a video of the 1st T/T at the divisional. iPhone was shoved up in the full face part of my helmet and kept slipping down. I had the throttle stop all discombobulated so it never really came on...You get a feel for the starting line and burnout at least...

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 08:37 AM

Annette Bauer took that and posted it on Sacramento's Facebook page. She is the wife of Jason, one of the track guys there and they both race. I love how she altered the contrast. Yep. Great shot!

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 03:40 PM

well look at the not so bright side.... "IF" you would have won the super pro championship at Sac, chances are you wouldn't have anywhere to use your "gold card" next year.

Re: Win Saturday, new best on Sunday... - 05/10/17 06:25 PM

From what I hear now, it's a done deal, the land is sold and this will be the last year for Sacramento Raceway Park. Sonoma is the same distance from me and has been my home track since I first started. I think I could still get it done at Sac. At least top 4 for the R.O.C. at the E.T. finals this fall. We'll see when I get motivated to work on this thing. I've been living on the edge with the car for awhile and knew if that I ever had an expensive failure that it would cost me some time away for sure. It's the whole snowball thing. I have a LOT of stuff in mind to get this thing to run better and they all cost money. Maybe it's a good time to take a few years off again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums