Moparts

Mushroom tappet cam

Posted By: SethJof

Mushroom tappet cam - 01/10/17 06:31 PM

A friend is looking for a mushroom tappet cam for a 440. Are new cams available?

Or does anyone have an old Direct Connection or Mopar Performance cam that they are willing to sell or trade?

Any leads are appreciated
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/10/17 07:01 PM

Call Jim at Racer Brown.

Damn near did one myself, but Jim had a lobe we could agree on with the mushroom lifter.

At this point, I wish I would have done it.
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 12:41 AM

I have a used (very little used) Racer Brown STX-60 Mushroom camshaft 310 degrees @ .018" lift, 105 LSA. Net lift .620" I think it is 271/271 @ .050"

Timing at .018" lift......Intake opens at 52 BTDC, closes at 78 ABDC.......Exhaust opens at 82 BBDC and closes at 48 ATDC

This was probably ground in the 1970's and is a single bolt cam.

Oh yeah, the cam card says to avoid valve float and limit the cam to 8,000 rpm.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 12:46 AM

I used to have a stash of the old MP cams and matching lifters but I've sold them off over the years. I never did run one myself. I bought a bunch of parts years ago but never did put them in an engine, just sold them as people asked me for parts.
Posted By: dusterman8124

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 01:37 AM

I have a new direct connection cam and mushroom lifter set .654 lift I would be willing to sell!
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 02:39 AM

I have just fired up my 451 with the .654 mushroom (P3690588 Mini-Express). The car isn't street driveable yet (no windshield, head or taillights among other things) but it idles choppily at 1100-1200 with 6-7" of vacuum.

The few people that have run them have nothing but positive reviews. Once you get above 3200, hang on and it'll pull as high as your heads and valvetrain will allow.

Don't be scared off by the mushroom lifters, it's not hard to get them in and out using a half-pipe PVC or heavy cardboard through the cam tunnel.

Also, you do not have to back-spotface the lifter bores as the old Direct Connection "bible" claims. Some say it may save you a broken lifter if you ever float the valves... but as the Racer Brown cam instructions say, don't do that. whistling

I'm running Comp 953 dual springs with 140 seat, 430 open and once on the road/track will find out if that's enough spring.

drive
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
I have just fired up my 451 with the .654 mushroom (P3690588 Mini-Express). The car isn't street driveable yet (no windshield, head or taillights among other things) but it idles choppily at 1100-1200 with 6-7" of vacuum.

The few people that have run them have nothing but positive reviews. Once you get above 3200, hang on and it'll pull as high as your heads and valvetrain will allow.

Don't be scared off by the mushroom lifters, it's not hard to get them in and out using a half-pipe PVC or heavy cardboard through the cam tunnel.

Also, you do not have to back-spotface the lifter bores as the old Direct Connection "bible" claims. Some say it may save you a broken lifter if you ever float the valves... but as the Racer Brown cam instructions say, don't do that. whistling

I'm running Comp 953 dual springs with 140 seat, 430 open and once on the road/track will find out if that's enough spring.

drive

Glad you got it running. I think the mushroom lifter is often overlooked.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 06:38 PM

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-43-the-trouble-with-flat-tappets/
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 06:53 PM

How dare you....countdown until someone chimes in saying they've taken flat tappet engines to 9000 rpm for 30 years without problems starts now
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 07:48 PM

Waiting for the "That's David Reher, he is a Chevy guy, whats he know about Mopars" comments from the gallery. Then we will get the ...."well, I had so and so flat tappet cam in my car for a million years and it ran this fast and never broke etc, etc, etc. Worked great then, will work great now. Those Mopar engineers in the 60s were smarter than anybody since".............have I about covered it all. Bound to be something I left out............LOL!!!
Posted By: Racer33

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 07:54 PM

You left out the part about him talking flat tappet and the OP talking mushroom tappet. lol
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/11/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Waiting for the "That's David Reher, he is a Chevy guy, whats he know about Mopars" comments from the gallery.

LMFAO, brilliant statement....and unfortunately I've heard it before
Posted By: DBCooper

Re: Mushroom tappet cam - 01/12/17 10:46 PM

Dusterman8124 I sent you a PM and an email
© 2024 Moparts Forums