Moparts

Icon piston feedback

Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 07:45 PM

Need new pistons for 440 Procharged street/strip motor. Had Diamonds then used Probe. Been looking at Icon, need the 2618's to handle the boost. Are they decent or should I look at Diamond, JE or Ross??
Posted By: topside

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 08:00 PM

Used Icons in a 440 and they were fine. It wasn't blown, though.
So far, JE, Ross, Venolia, & Icon in various motors and no problems with any of 'em, except one time JE supplied a custom piston that was wrong and they took care of it. Stuff happens, I'd use JE again.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 08:04 PM

no good feed back yet as I just put a set in my 511 project. I have the IC837 and ICON told me they have a customer using those with 22# of boost. I bought them from CNC Motorsports for $499 per set. pins included.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 08:07 PM

Used icons in my last turbo motor. They were 2618 and worked great. Got a really good deal on CP this time around or I'd be using them still.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 08:12 PM

i've used a bunch of 'em with no issues.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 09:42 PM

DO NOT USE THEM.....an engine builder that builds 90% power adder cars told me they where the week link in my wifes build and after one trip to the dyno we hurt 3-4 of them.broke exactly where he told me they would at the valve reliefs at the top.i didnt put the combo together otherwise i woulda put better pistons in.we now have CP or JEs cant remember.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 09:48 PM

I run 30 pounds of boost on the 440source icons. No issues
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 09:51 PM

It depends of many things, but it's propably not a brand thing. Like said above, usually the thinnest point is between the intake valve pocket and the top ring land. I believe this depends of the application, how deep and large are teh valve reliefs and how high is the top ring land. We have used Icons in boosted application, it's a 400 with 4.15" stroke 440 pistons, and so far no problems. But if you plan to make big power you should use custom pistons for boosted application.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By FastmOp

You are my hero lol. I love both of your cars on so many levels. It would be cool to see an expose on the a-body and the new car too. I've been a fan ever since the driveway burn out video from way back!
Posted By: KOS

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/09/17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By jyrki
It depends of many things, but it's propably not a brand thing. Like said above, usually the thinnest point is between the intake valve pocket and the top ring land. I believe this depends of the application, how deep and large are teh valve reliefs and how high is the top ring land. We have used Icons in boosted application, it's a 400 with 4.15" stroke 440 pistons, and so far no problems. But if you plan to make big power you should use custom pistons for boosted application.

BINGO !!!
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/10/17 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By Jeremiah
Originally Posted By FastmOp

You are my hero lol. I love both of your cars on so many levels. It would be cool to see an expose on the a-body and the new car too. I've been a fan ever since the driveway burn out video from way back!

Thanks for the kind words. 😉

I forgot about those old driveway videos lmao😎

I built a launch pad at the new place, I have a starting line and 60 foot lay'd out lol.

My cars are not show cars, there just rough ole hot rods that I have a lot of fun with 😆

Did you use to be in the old mofarts chat room with Blown71X and AL and Devil and the rest of the crew? Was thinking you might be Hay-zuse 😈
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Icon piston feedback - 01/10/17 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By Blown 68 R/T
Need new pistons for 440 Procharged street/strip motor. Had Diamonds then used Probe. Been looking at Icon, need the 2618's to handle the boost. Are they decent or should I look at Diamond, JE or Ross??
Recommended by my Engine builder. I runem in my Procharged small block with as much as 20 psi boost - 110 race gas and water injection - no cooler.

Attached picture pistontdc.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums