Moparts

Pinion angle

Posted By: 1980volare

Pinion angle - 01/01/17 10:58 PM

Just got ths new transmision in and am working on getting the correct angles. What's everyone run? I'm seeing mixed answers. Finding alot of info on ladder bar and 4 link stuff. But very minimal info on leaf cars. This is a caltrac car if that matters.

Currently the trans is 0* and pinion is 4* down.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Pinion angle - 01/01/17 11:07 PM

4* down is good for leaf spring. General range is 4-7. 4 link and ladder bar are 3*.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Pinion angle - 01/02/17 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By A/MP
4* down is good for leaf spring. General range is 4-7. 4 link and ladder bar are 3*.
How much angle you run depends on how much axle wrap you will have. Leaf spring cars obviously have more than 4 link cars, etc. That being said, I run a Caltrac system ( including their single leafs ) and you can run enough preload to just about eliminate axle wrap. Mounted my camera under the car on a few runs to prove this. I usually run zero preload and at that setting there is some wrap. I usually run 3 down at that setting. Still a guess - I guess. smile Aint had the driveshaft roll out from under the car yet eek Some times 4 or more down will give you some interesting vibs on heavy decell.
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: Pinion angle - 01/02/17 03:27 AM

If you run an auto try 4* down. That is what I run in my Aspen and it works great with Cal Tracs. If you have a manual tranny you will need 6* down. That worked well on my 74 Duster 360.

Raul
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Pinion angle - 01/02/17 04:45 AM

That's about where I'm at, 0 trans 4-4 1/2 down on pinion many years street/strip.............
© 2024 Moparts Forums