Moparts

W2 econo heads

Posted By: jeff500

W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 07:28 AM

I'm looking at buying a set of w2 econo heads and was wondering how to tell if they are the good castings or the older ones that crack.I don't have any casting #s.is there a visual check I can look for?
Posted By: killermopar

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 03:03 PM

Yep. They have a rib looking area around the outside bolt holes and Mopar is raised cast. The old ones were just flat like a typical LA. I have one of both, but have never been able to post pics. If you need pics, PM me you cell # and I will text you a pic of each.
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 05:01 PM

I thought the older ones cracked from being milled to thin. That is also why newer ones have smaller combustion chambers as well. No need to cut them down.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 05:56 PM

I found a couple of pictures of W2 heads. I found one with the ribs and one without (Econo, dual exhaust bolt pattern). Both have rocker arm pedistals.

Hope this helps for discussion.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a W2 that took the standard LA rocker arm gear? If so, can you tell me which part number to look for?

Thanks

Attached picture dcc-5249769_w_xl.jpg
Attached picture econo 2.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 06:12 PM

The version just prior to the ones having the ribs around the head bolt holes are pretty thin in that area of the external wall.
I had a brand new one, hardly milled at all, crack wide open there during installation.
Torquing the head bolts......"snap".
I was pretty surprised how thin it was.

The only ones I would even consider would be the ones with the ribs.

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 06:52 PM

The ones I'm looking at do not have the ribs by the bolt holes but they do have the metal plugs in the end of the heads.

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 07:01 PM

I'm not a w2 guru by any means, but I believe there are at least 3 "generations" of them.

The first basically look like stock heads externally.

The second have a more smoothed over exterior, no ribs around the outer bolt holes, and iirc they have "Mopar W2" cast into them on the exhaust side of the head.
The letters are indented in, not raised.

The third has the ribs by the bolt holes, letters raised.

There might be other versions or variations within those versions as well.

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 07:10 PM

I've noticed that some have the small freeze plugs in the end of the heads and some dont.was wondering what's up with that.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 07:13 PM

My W2 Econo heads cracked right by where the W2 was cast on the outside part of the head under the exhaust port. Both heads leaked water out the crack. It was a shame because they ran easy 9's in my Duster with a little port work I did and stock 2.02 valves. The heads are still leaning against the wall in my shop but after that happened I sold off 2 sets of rockers and a W2 intake that I ported.

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 07:16 PM

I believe only the first gen have the core plugs, but that might also be a first gen/econo only thing.
Someone more knowledgable about them would have to clear that up.

I think the basics are:

Description: First gen
Attached picture image.jpg

Description: 2nd gen

Description: 3rd gen
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: W2 econo heads - 12/31/16 09:50 PM

Here is a couple of pictures...yes..early w2 had freeze plugs on them..later did not...picture of standard length and long valve econo heads..

and second picture shows ribs vs non rib w2...

Attached picture IMG_0791.JPG
Attached picture 100_0965.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums