Moparts

Bb cam retainer?

Posted By: mopar dave

Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 06:05 PM

Finishing the 511 short block today while i have time. This is my first bb build, so my question is, what holds the cam in the block? Using a flat tappet cam. Thanks
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 06:12 PM

Dave, there is no cam retainer on BB/Gen II Hemi .Basically the chain and the OP drive keep it in place. You can fit a cam button on the chain sprocket end there that butts up against the timing cover if desired, and is a fairly common install on some more serious builds. My .02 Hope this helps.

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 06:26 PM

Ok thanks. Using a tin cover so a button probably wouldnt do much any way. Hoping to get the lower end finished today.
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 06:39 PM

The valve spring pressure and the taper on the cam lobes on a flat tappet cam is what keeps the cam in the block. Roller cams have flat lobes which require the cam button to keep the cam from "walking" in the block.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By wesgtx440
The valve spring pressure and the taper on the cam lobes on a flat tappet cam is what keeps the cam in the block. Roller cams have flat lobes which require the cam button to keep the cam from "walking" in the block.
iagree
Also the oil pump drive helps push the cam back towards the tranny, I think scope

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/29/16 11:48 PM

Ok thanks guys. Does the cam gear bolts get washers or just lock tite
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/30/16 01:47 AM

The stock three bolts motors came with no washers shruggy
I've never thought of using them due to how close the bolt heads can be to the cover scope
Blue Loctite and 35 Ft Lbs. you should be golden twocents

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/30/16 04:46 AM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Bb cam retainer? - 12/31/16 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By wesgtx440
iagree
Also the oil pump drive helps push the cam back towards the tranny, I think scope

This is correct on the flat tappet cams which I also use. I did use a washer and locktite on my 3 cam gear bolts. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums