Moparts

Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper)

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:32 AM

Spark plugs are down in there. LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:35 AM

Saw that............hard pill to swallow............ rant
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:39 AM

Mike(new guy) left the warm up plugs in the throttle bodies when he put new plugs in. Just like carb guys hang them in the boosters, we generally lay them in the bodies. He just forgot about them and since you don't have to crack the throttle on an EFI car, it didn't show until he decked it in the burnout

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:40 AM

I wonder what the rpm readout was on the RacePak when the throttle hung open
Posted By: scottb

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:56 AM

That's what I said are you kidding me
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:04 AM

Can't wait to watch it on the DVR. That dude is a goober, but his attitude is entertaining.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:06 AM

Thats some funny crap right there... good tv entertainment...funny watchin bighead upset

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:20 AM

Monza car was flying tonight feel bad for James that is a very expensive mistake by his crew guy

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By scottb
Monza car was flying tonight feel bad for James that is a very expensive mistake by his crew guy
Yep.........8 pistons, 6 sleeves, 10 valves and some head work. That motor was nearly brand new. Not to mention that the car had been running very well when that happened
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:33 AM

Dang that sux.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 05:37 AM

I figured it was going to be very expensive to fix I don't care how many tee shirts you sell that's going to hurt your wallet

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:09 AM

Stupid mistake or not, I find it weird that any "car guy" would think it's funny for a guy to trash a 50k motor. Guess some look at things differently.
Posted By: moper

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:13 AM

Everybody's human. That sucks.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Stupid mistake or not, I find it weird that any "car guy" would think it's funny for a guy to trash a 50k motor. Guess some look at things differently.

When someone keeps shooting himself in the foot ya it is kinda funny. Slow down and double check things and maybe just maybe he would have better luck. Maybe this is why I choose to do 99% of the work on my car by myself because I would double check things anyway.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:21 AM

I honestly thought they were kidding at first.
Posted By: killermopar

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:22 AM

Makes me happy to see farmtruck back. He's a super nice guy. The truck is pretty cool. If I was reaper I might possibly have choked that guy. Of course I also have anger issues. Lol

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

When someone keeps shooting himself in the foot ya it is kinda funny. Slow down and double check things and maybe just maybe he would have better luck. Maybe this is why I choose to do 99% of the work on my car by myself because I would double check things anyway.

Says the guy that totaled his only fast car. I guess that was funny to. Once you get fast you can't do it all your self.
Stay slow my friend

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:24 AM

If big boy cant take it, maybe he should be home knitting slippers.

Diferent stroke for different folks, each time I dumped a crank out of my pull tractor or even when I popped my spray motor that melted my glasses, cooked my hair I just laugh it off as part of the game because thats all it is.

Its a semi scripted tv show and for that guy, yep I gotta laugh. Hell for all we know that motor was ready to pop and it just helps the ratings.

Next time maybe between all the smack talkin someone might pay a bit more attention.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp

Says the guy that totaled his only fast car. I guess that was funny to. Once you get fast you can't do it all your self.
Stay slow my friend

Ya ya ya. It happens to those that race 40 plus years and almost every weekends 7 months a year. How many passes do you make a year and what ET. Oh and it was just minor damage
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:33 AM

Maybe Street Out Laws show is turning into a educational TV show. "where not to put your removed spark plugs"

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:38 AM

Monte, since your a bit tight with these ladies, I made my post just to add to some and to bait you and every time you take it, like takin a cousin to the prom.

Funny thing is, my place in the South is right by you, ya know that lil power plant on the river and I see you almost every year im there... If my health lets me I will give you a yell this spring.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
If big boy cant take it, maybe he should be home knitting slippers.

Diferent stroke for different folks, each time I dumped a crank out of my pull tractor or even when I popped my spray motor that melted my glasses, cooked my hair I just laugh it off as part of the game because thats all it is.

Its a semi scripted tv show and for that guy, yep I gotta laugh. Hell for all we know that motor was ready to pop and it just helps the ratings.

Next time maybe between all the smack talkin someone might pay a bit more attention.

Nothing about the racing or what happens is scripted. That motor was a brand new 5.0 bore space 765 with about 6 runs on it when that happened. You can't do it ALL on a car of that caliber.

Mike was new help........he was nervous and made a stupid mistake. After putting the race plugs in, he got sidetracked doing something else and forgot about the plugs.

People, even experienced ones make mistakes. At our last race of year with Buick, a guy that has been helping us for years cross threaded number 7 plug. He thought it was tight and it was only in about a thread. As soon as Chad dropped the button it blew number 7 plug out in the final. We lost the race, but were LUCKY all the fuel it was blowing out the hole on the headers didn't burn the car to the ground. I did check the wires before that run and we always fire in the pits to make sure we don't have a bad plug.......but things happen at times. If you check EVERYthing someone else does.......well you just can't do it all. I make ALL the tuning calls and look at ALL the data between runs. I can't do that AND double check what others do and neither can James

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:48 AM

From the horses mouth....3 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g755xqTDcU

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:51 AM

Betting they have a better place to put the used plugs for now on.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:54 AM

The trans fire happened when it blew the front out of a $2500 bolt together converter. Cracked at the weld on front cover. That's just bad luck

We always put our plugs in throttle bodies too........just never forgot they were in there

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:54 AM

I think we all understand that, and yes in reality its not cool when anyone kicks a high cost motor, but its after the fact and if it were not edgy like ive said before it would be like the nhra that so few watch.

I was waiting for someone to pull a tire out of there pocket and start chewing on it.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:01 AM

Stay slow my friend

Ya ya ya. It happens to those that race 40 plus years and almost every weekends 7 months a year. How many passes do you make a year and what ET. Oh and it was just minor damage

I race every weekend too. My junk is faster at the 1/8 then your junk is in the 1/4

I run 4.80s at 150 and will be faster this year. I'm 20 years younger then you too.

But I have respect for the effort Reaper puts into his racing program and the dedication he shows. I don't know any of those guys, but out of all the guys on the show he is the one I follow the most because of Monty and his inside info.

And I built my car from a junkyard find.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:06 AM

I will admit that at times James is his own worst enemy, but he also just has some crap luck. His car is as fast as ANY when it makes a clean pass, but he just can't get any decent help, plus silly mistakes and bad luck are killing him.

He was here a couple weeks ago and I drove the car. One pass it went dead rich, like it did on the show a couple times. Bad water temp sensor with intermittent problem, that was throwing the fuel table off, because it thought the motor was 30*. He had been fighting that issue but did not have enough experience to spot it in the data. I found that, but it took a while and then we shook it so hard later it shattered a rear wheel bearing and our day was done.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:07 AM

Wow, I think I might have cried if it was me! Deep pockets or not thats the worst way I ever heard to lose a motor.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:08 AM

I never saw the tranny one till I posted the link, fires are bad and if that was this year it is bad luck.

Outwardly the show looks a bit chaotic at times.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:10 AM

I race every weekend too. My junk is faster at the 1/8 then your junk is in the 1/4

I run 4.80s at 150 and will be faster this year. I'm 20 years younger then you too.

But I have respect for the effort Reaper puts into his racing program and the dedication he shows. I don't know any of those guys, but out of all the guys on the show he is the one I follow the most because of Monty and his inside info.

And I built my car from a junkyard find.

Don't know you and never heard of you. PLEASE honor us with some pictures of your race car so that we may know who we are talking to. Do you buy your power or do you help produce all that horsepower. The screen name doesn't ring a bell.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
I never saw the tranny one till I posted the link, fires are bad and if that was this year it is bad luck.

Outwardly the show looks a bit chaotic at times.

Thy to find the video of him blowing a stock type transmission at the track. That was real ugly and it tore up Monte's new wiring job.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:19 AM

ALL these guys work hard to do this deal. The filming schedule is crazy. It's hard to keep cars like this ready to race on a weekly basis and work a job to. They are making some money from it now, but for years they were going broke trying to keep up every week. They are down right now, but it's only for a few weeks and are all scrambling to make changes. We are making suspension and gearing changes on Docs car and I have the intakes from Monza and the Reaper here to make a few changes. It's always something

Shawn is humping to have the NEW Murder Nova ready and Chief has bought another car as well, since they made the no "pro-mods" move

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:21 AM

They are making some money from it now, but for years they were going broke trying to keep up every week.

You would think a sponser might toss them a bone, but then again who knows the inner workings of things.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:30 AM

I been on this site longer then you. Look at the date under the screen name lol

I build my own everything. Rearends, cages, motors, trannys, fiberglass parts, you got nothing on me. I'm an ex tool maker. I can read a mic or run a CNC
one runs 4's, other runs 5's

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:36 AM

I have never heard or seen anyone put used race spark plugs in a carb. booster at the drag races, never shruggy
Let alone on top of a throttle body work shruggy
I have broken the porclyn on plugs and not known it until later, I have also installed loose spark plugs boots thinking they where on all the way until they fell off realcrazy
If you race long enough you will make a mistake or two and break parts whistling
I run air cleaners also so maybe that's just me shruggy

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:45 AM

I been on this site longer then you. Look at the date under the screen name lol

I build my own everything. Rearends, cages, motors, trannys, fiberglass parts, you got nothing on me. I'm an ex tool maker. I can read a mic or run a CNC

What the heck do you have in there a diesel??? It looks like diesel stacks up through the hood. Sorry I wouldn't have said that but you drew "first blood". I hope karma never bites you in the butt.

Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:51 AM

Bit of time lapse there............Goad wanting to pull his hair out (shaved head) when plugs went down the motor then they flash to interview about it and he has 1/2" long hair. Sorry to see for sure, stuff happens and that TV editing in action for sure.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:04 AM

If it bites me I'll rebuild it. I have had it sideways in the lights. It's a possibility every time I launch it.
You laughing at a racer for hurting his junk is why I called you out.
It's indy heads with a turbo. Fast as hell for a bracket motor. It's my combo, I didn't copy anyone.
Look through my pics on photo bucket, you will see nobody but me built it.
What I started with

Posted By: CSK

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:27 AM

THIS !!!!!!!!!

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:28 AM

Originally Posted By Keith Richards
Bit of time lapse there............Goad wanting to pull his hair out (shaved head) when plugs went down the motor then they flash to interview about it and he has 1/2" long hair. Sorry to see for sure, stuff happens and that TV editing in action for sure.
Those "interviews" are always done after the fact. Weeks or sometimes months after the footage is shot. When they do those, they roll the film for a refresher and then the comments are made. They usually do several interviews in one sitting
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 03:26 PM

Reaper can't catch a break. Really would like to see some clean trouble free passes from him.
As for this....

Don't know you and never heard of you. PLEASE honor us with some pictures of your race car so that we may know who we are talking to. Do you buy your power or do you help produce all that horsepower. The screen name doesn't ring a bell.

That Avenger is 1 bad Mo. Know of him or not, He is one of the most talented people on this board. Paying attention to his posts may be a good idea.

Posted By: stevet340

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 03:35 PM

That Avenger is 1 bad Mo. Know of him or not, He is one of the most talented people on this board. Paying attention to his posts may be a good idea.

Why would anyone listen to him? He's not a "guru" "the man" or a regular fair haired boy on Moparts. He's not selling, promoting, or agreeing with the sheeples on here. He knows what he knows, is talented and good at what he does, why bring him down to the other 99% on here???? Thats why the smart, talented guys don't post much if at all on here anymore. I wonder how much longer Monte will stick it out on here wasting his time TRYING to help people who don't want to be helped or educated.... stirthepot
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 04:59 PM

ALL these guys work hard to do this deal. The filming schedule is crazy. It's hard to keep cars like this ready to race on a weekly basis and work a job to. They are making some money from it now, but for years they were going broke trying to keep up every week. They are down right now, but it's only for a few weeks and are all scrambling to make changes. We are making suspension and gearing changes on Docs car and I have the intakes from Monza and the Reaper here to make a few changes. It's always something

Shawn is humping to have the NEW Murder Nova ready and Chief has bought another car as well, since they made the no "pro-mods" move

Hey Monte, how about a little more info on the "no pro mods move"? That is the first I have heard about that and like the idea a lot.

And Monte, thanks for hanging in there and trying to keep the record straight. I don't know why people can't just watch and enjoy a really cool car show without constantly trying to tear it down. The haters could just change the channel. But it seems much more important to them to try to ruin it for anyone else who might enjoy watching it.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Monte, how about a little more info on the "no pro mods move"? That is the first I have heard about that and like the idea a lot.
It was touched on in an episode or the podcast, I don't remember. I think it went like this:

The guy who started the original Cash Days (Limpy, out of Texas maybe) said no more pro mods in his events. That's why Chief and the CroMod couldn't compete in the last one. Once the show had ran its course, Cash Days are these guys big events and they all want to compete in them, so Chief is building another steel body back half.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure...lol.

Dennis
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:42 PM

Mike(new guy) left the warm up plugs in the throttle bodies when he put new plugs in. Just like carb guys hang them in the boosters, we generally lay them in the bodies. He just forgot about them and since you don't have to crack the throttle on an EFI car, it didn't show until he decked it in the burnout

Why would you do this? I've been an auto mechanic for 42 years and I wouldn't even think of setting anything in a carb or throttle body that could even remotely end up in the intake. It's just tempting fate. Everyone makes mistakes, why would you want to increase your odds of catastrophic failure?

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

Why would you do this? I've been an auto mechanic for 42 years and I wouldn't even think of setting anything in a carb or throttle body that could even remotely end up in the intake. It's just tempting fate. Everyone makes mistakes, why would you want to increase your odds of catastrophic failure?

BINGO!!!!!!!!! And I can't believe Monte says he does this too. As soon as my hood comes off the race car a clean rags goes over the carb to prevent things like this from happening. And unless I'm working on the carb the rag stays there till the job is finished. Why would ANYONE purposely put something in or on a carb or throttle body BEGGING for something bad to happen.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:01 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!! And I can't believe Monte says he does this too. As soon as my hood comes off the race car a clean rags goes over the carb to prevent things like this from happening. And unless I'm working on the carb the rag stays there till the job is finished. Why would ANYONE purposely put something in or on a carb or throttle body BEGGING for something bad to happen.

Because it was the "cool" thing to do since the pro stockers did it. Copy cats

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:06 PM

I've done stuff I'm too embarrassed to admit but I always set my plugs on the air cleaner or on the radiator in the order they came out to keep tabs on cylinders for the reasons above. That's a tough break and wish that on no one............. down
Posted By: B1HEAD_USER

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:36 PM

If it bites me I'll rebuild it. I have had it sideways in the lights. It's a possibility every time I launch it.
It's indy heads with a turbo. Fast as hell for a bracket motor. It's my combo, I didn't copy anyone.
What I started with

Put up the Photobucket link I'd like to see the pics.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By DaveRS23

And Monte, thanks for hanging in there and trying to keep the record straight. I don't know why people can't just watch and enjoy a really cool car show without constantly trying to tear it down. The haters could just change the channel. But it seems much more important to them to try to ruin it for anyone else who might enjoy watching it.

They have split off the promods at the no prep races in to there own class. So you have big tire as one class and promod as another class.
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:53 PM

I'm an ex tool maker. I can read a mic or run a CNC

What do you do now?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 07:56 PM

IIRC, Monte said that all of the top cars, except the current(?) Murder Nova, are full chassis cars w/ comparable componentry. Unless I misunderstood his explanation, there are more "Pro Mods" than just Chief's and Lutz's, but they simply don't look like it on the outside. I believe he mentioned Doc's & Monza's cars specifically in this regard, despite how those two keep talking up how they're racing against Pro Mods. confused

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By BradH
IIRC, Monte said that all of the top cars, except the current(?) Murder Nova, are full chassis cars w/ comparable componentry. Unless I misunderstood his explanation, there are more "Pro Mods" than just Chief's and Lutz's, but they simply don't look like it on the outside. I believe he mentioned Doc's & Monza's cars specifically in this regard, despite how those two keep talking up how they're racing against Pro Mods. confused

If it's a stock wheel base car and has a vin from a manufacturer they call that top sportsman car. I believe they consider altered wheel base and stretched noses and full carbon or fiberglass body would be a pro mod.

That's what I gather from reading some of the class rules at the no prep races.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:29 PM

Doc's, Monza's, Daddy Daves, and Murder Nova all started out as a production car. The chassis' are more or less the same from the firewall back. DD's and MN's cars have "stock" type front ends on them. Daves car uses a bolt in front, and the new Murder Nova has just enough of the front frame rail to hang stock type suspension parts on it. These cars also have stock outer demensions, but make no mistake about it, they are basically the same as Chief's and Lutz's ProMods.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:33 PM

You can't really "define" what a Pro Mod is or isn't, just that you know one when you see it. Take the body off most of the cars out there, park the chassis side by side and there is zero difference. A 6.0 cert chassis is a 6.0 cert chassis. The problem is the body and the LOOK. The squashed body and long nose screams Pro Mod. Doc, Jerry and Reaper are as Pro Mod as it gets really, but with stock looking steel bodies and wheelbase. There was a thought about requiring a VIN number, but that would rule out some cars they don't want ruled out.

Kye Kelley looks stock, but is a glass body. Lutz 57 has a glass body. Chucks 55 has a glass body. John Doe is steel, but is an ex Pro Stock car, so it's a panel car with no VIN. These are not cars you want ruled out, so what do you do. You fall back on the "know one when I see it rule" and is what lots of no prep races are now doing

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 08:41 PM

You look at the plugs every pass on a nitrous car. We and most others have always just stuck the plugs in the carb boosters. It keeps them in order and where they can be seen. You look at the plugs with your light or scope and then put them back in the motor. Just the way most choose to do it. So when we switched to EFI our process didn't change. On our throttle bodies, they are shorter and the threads of the plugs stick out the top and are easily seen. Guess James' throttle bodies are deeper and they were overlooked.

Because YOU wouldn't do it doesn't matter. You likely do things I would never do, so none of that matters. A mistake was made, it cost him and is likely a mistake he will never make again

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By 496 A-body
I'm an ex tool maker. I can read a mic or run a CNC

What do you do now?

Sent u a PM. I own a storage business to pay for car stuff. Not as good $$ as tool and die work, but my work schedule is a lot better.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 09:24 PM

Old Monza has been showing up loaded for bear lately. I enjoy seeing him do well.

Attached picture 15034573_1114265185356836_7173284262714540032_n.jpg

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 09:37 PM

I wondered why Doc and Reaper don't run a Lexan scoop. Seemed like it would help them pick up some power.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 09:43 PM

Makes ZERO difference on an EFI car. We don't run one anymore either. The throttle bodies are huge. Our motor gets all the air it needs at 30% throttle opening and you don't rely on air flow to deliver fuel so the scoop does nothing but get in the way

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 10:00 PM

Learned something from you again Monty 😁
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 10:12 PM

Lol someday if I could afford efi I'll remember that one
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 10:13 PM

You look at the plugs every pass on a nitrous car. We and most others have always just stuck the plugs in the carb boosters. It keeps them in order and where they can be seen. You look at the plugs with your light or scope and then put them back in the motor. Just the way most choose to do it. So when we switched to EFI our process didn't change. On our throttle bodies, they are shorter and the threads of the plugs stick out the top and are easily seen. Guess James' throttle bodies are deeper and they were overlooked.

Because YOU wouldn't do it doesn't matter. You likely do things I would never do, so none of that matters. A mistake was made, it cost him and is likely a mistake he will never make again

The day I met Monte, I stood back and watched this whole process of him sticking the plugs in the carb boosters and then check each one as if he had done this 1000 times. I would never do it but think of his routine every time I pull plugs which isn't but every couple years laugh2
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/20/16 10:31 PM

Always appreciate the insight Monte! Doc and Monza are my favorite characters/cars, should have made it out to Sac or Redding when they were here earlier this year but was too busy with my other hobby at the time! I know some of my racer friends enjoyed chatting with them.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 03:22 AM

Any word on how Chucks car is progressing? work

Tim
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 03:56 AM

I will admit that at times James is his own worst enemy, but he also just has some crap luck. His car is as fast as ANY when it makes a clean pass, but he just can't get any decent help, plus silly mistakes and bad luck are killing him.

He was here a couple weeks ago and I drove the car. One pass it went dead rich, like it did on the show a couple times. Bad water temp sensor with intermittent problem, that was throwing the fuel table off, because it thought the motor was 30*. He had been fighting that issue but did not have enough experience to spot it in the data. I found that, but it took a while and then we shook it so hard later it shattered a rear wheel bearing and our day was done.

Monte, I have no dog in this fight obviously as I'm not the guy footing the bill for any of those cars (barely doing things to my own at times). I do however have a quote that you should paste to James dash....

A negative mind will never give you a positive life.

That may or may not ring a bell with him but it may help if he pauses long enough to think it over.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 03:56 AM

I felt physically sick to my stomach when they said what happened! ...and it's not even my car.
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By B1HEAD_USER
What I started with

Put up the Photobucket link I'd like to see the pics.

Checked it out, kool build up

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By I_bleed_MOPAR
Any word on how Chucks car is progressing? work

Tim

He was at KID and won the big tire grudge race the end of this season. Car looked pretty awesome!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 05:23 AM

Looking at the video from PRI with Ellington talking about the Murder Nova , the only thing that visually looks stock on the front frame is the A arms and they are tubular. The rest is all chrome moly tube chassis.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 05:56 AM

i guess its just me , i dont know how no one saw them setting there

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By theraif
i guess its just me , i dont know how no one saw them setting there

Its not just you. 8 sparkplugs, not one but a whole dog-gone set. Don't they sell a nice holder that sits on top the carbs or throttle body to do this???

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pit-229/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pit-hw108/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65064/overview/

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:25 AM

I'm sure the way those guys can weld and fab something like this could be made for free.

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/Moroso-65801-p/207628.htm

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 09:49 AM

Yep, doesn't matter that I will never make THAT stupid mistake. laugh2 Mistake WAS made and WILL be made again by someone. It's a 100% preventable $50,000 mistake. Do what ever you want, just don't be surprised that someone might laugh at that stupidity. laugh2

Attached picture 219807-raw__04814_1475761932_386_386.jpg
Attached picture F131364043.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 03:44 PM

I quit watching the show but I follow a few of the guys on facebook.

Daddy Dave taking a shot here lol

Attached picture IMG_4449.PNG

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
I quit watching the show but I follow a few of the guys on facebook.

Daddy Dave taking a shot here lol

LOL. That's GREAT.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 05:35 PM

I dont think it was funny that Reaper hurt his car; what was funny was the way he stuck it to Dave.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:34 PM

Guess I forgot everyone here is perfect, never done anything wrong, nor made a mistake......my bad!!!

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:42 PM

Guess I forgot everyone here is perfect, never done anything wrong, nor made a mistake......my bad!!!

Take a chill pill Monte. You are so hung up on these guys they can do no wrong. I hate to see anyone hurt their stuff but you got to admit that was one that should not happen. If the plugs set that low in the throttle bodies that they didn't jump out at you when you put the front end on don't do it. Did they see you doing this and start doing it too. No wonder you lose customers
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:50 PM

So, when you do that to a customers car... What do you tell them?
"I always put plugs in the carb/throttle body, oopsie, sorry about your engine.
I'd like to get paid now."

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:57 PM

I am not hung up on these guys at all. Some happen to be customers and many here seem to like the information. You guys talk all you want, I could care less and usually only interject when asked a question, OR someone posts information I KNOW not to be true. Other than that, I don't care if you like the guys, the show, nor care what you say. I admitted James does stuff wrong all the time and so do the others at times. We ALL have done stupid stuff, including you. That was pointed out. Yet you CAN'T let it go, you keep harping on how stupid it was. Just like you can't let ANYTHING go. We GET it. It was dumb, he hurt his motor. Dave has burned more motors up than anybody out there, makes a comment and you think that's great. Then this last comment, you decide to make it personal towards me. Care for me to tell you what you can do with that?...........or do you think you can figure that out?

YOU need the chill pill. You and a couple others are just so intent on arguing with me about things..........it's simply amazing

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

I wouldn't know, because I have never left a plug in a carb or throttle body and sucked it through the motor

I LOVE this site. We have "World Class" haters here, no amateurs. Some of you guys need to go over to Yellow Bullet and join in. I think you could hold your own.......LOL!!!! Wow

Guy hurts his motor, makes a stupid mistake and some here just go on and on and on and on about it. And then jump on the ones trying to steer it another way. Gee, can't imagine why lots of people no longer post here..........see above paragraph in case you are not clear why.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:06 PM

I admitted he does stuff wrong all the time and so do the others. We ALL have done stupid stuff, including you. That was pointed out. Yet you CAN'T let it go, you keep harping on how stupid it was. Just like you can't let ANYTHING go. We GET it. It was dumb, he hurt his motor. Dave has burned more motors up than anybody out there, makes a comment and you think that's great. Then this last comment, you decide to make it personal towards me. Care for me to tell you what you can do with that?...........or do you think you can figure that out?

I don't let things go. Lol. How about you??? You repeat your thoughts over and over again repeatedly. Thank God you do have a following that think everything you say is gospel. Example being the rearend post. I love ford 9 inch rearends to but a Dana will work for many on this site with zero issues

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:17 PM

I wouldn't know, because I have never left a plug in a carb or throttle body and sucked it through the motor

I LOVE this site. We have "World Class" haters here, no amateurs. Some of you guys need to go over to Yellow Bullet and join in. I think you could hold your own.......LOL!!!! Wow

Guy hurts his motor, makes a stupid mistake and some here just go on and on and on and on about it. And then jump on the ones trying to steer it another way. Gee, can't imagine why lots of people no longer post here..........see above paragraph in case you are not clear why.

Look Monte, you're a smart guy with a lot of knowledge, not disputing that and a lot of guys look up to you and that is fine too. So when you say stuff like "That's the way we do it..." other guys may think it's ok for them to do it too. You were defending the practice. All I'm trying to do is point out that it is not a "best practices" way of doing it. Maybe you could just agree with that and be done with it. I'm not a hater but not a fanboy either. I hate seeing anyone suffer that kind of hit so I was just trying to save someone else the misery.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:18 PM

Uhhhh, you realize the guy that STARTED the rear end post specifically titled it "help me build a 9"? So he WANTED a 9", not for people to tell him why he should build a dana. So I agreed with him and I also get criticized for that. Hmmm...........tough crowd

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:30 PM

Look Monte, you're a smart guy with a lot of knowledge, not disputing that and a lot of guys look up to you and that is fine too. So when you say stuff like "That's the way we do it..." other guys may think it's ok for them to do it too. You were defending the practice. All I'm trying to do is point out that it is not a "best practices" way of doing it. Maybe you could just agree with that and be done with it. I'm not a hater but not a fanboy either. I hate seeing anyone suffer that kind of hit so I was just trying to save someone else the misery.
But if you look, I never defended it, I just said that was the way most nitrous racers had always done it. Some were asking "how could he be so stupid". Doubt many would think it's stupid to put plugs in boosters and it's done all the time. They are easy to see and they can't fall in. The point was, if you have ALWAYS done it like that and now you have this new EFI motor. You take the plugs out and think, "no booster, where do I put them" so you lay them in the throttle body. You think maybe you should build a rack, but then you also think you will never forget one.............And lets also remember, James is NOT the one who forgot about the plugs, it was new help. Had HE seen James do that? probably. I am sure we ALL do things we wouldn't actually suggest others do. So why do WE do it......because we always have, it's part of our routine and has never caused an issue. So before you laugh at others, call them stupid, whatever, think about routine things that maybe YOU do that others would think are stupid

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:38 PM

But if you look, I never defended it, I just said that was the way most nitrous racers had always done it. Some were asking "how could he be so stupid". Doubt many would think it's stupid to put plugs in boosters and it's done all the time. They are easy to see and they can't fall in. The point was, if you have ALWAYS done it like that and now you have this new EFI motor. You take the plugs out and think, "no booster, where do I put them" so you lay them in the throttle body. You think maybe you should build a rack, but then you also think you will never forget one.............And lets also remember, James is NOT the one who forgot about the plugs, it was new help. Had HE seen James do that? probably. I am sure we ALL do things we wouldn't actually suggest others do. So why do WE do it......because we always have, it's part of our routine and has never caused an issue. So before you laugh at others, call them stupid, whatever, think about routine things that maybe YOU do that others would think are stupid.

You mean like getting married and divorced 5 times? realcrazy
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:48 PM

Thank God you do have a following that think everything you say is gospel.

Now THERE'S some Gospel...
Posted By: challenger451ci

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 07:50 PM

On a lighter note.....Monza driving around the turbo cars, that's some MUST SEE TV right there!
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 08:12 PM

monte, i, for one greatly appreciate your input and perspective. these pissing matches are why i don't hang here much any more. basic psychology, really. "i say you did a dumb thing, therefore i am superior". what ever. i enjoy the info you provide. everyone does stupid stuff, it's human. sheesh. i like the show. the guys are characters. the cars are badass. the end.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 08:28 PM

Let's keep the personal stuff to a minimum here folks. Oh and I've done plenty of stupid things. I'll just cross the possibility of dropping a spark plug in my motor off the list.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 08:48 PM

Uhhhh, you realize the guy that STARTED the rear end post specifically titled it "help me build a 9"? So he WANTED a 9", not for people to tell him why he should build a dana. So I agreed with him and I also get criticized for that. Hmmm...........tough crowd

You know it ruins the argument when you bring facts into it, right? What are you thinking?

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By OhioMopar

You know it ruins the argument when you bring facts into it, right? What are you thinking?

LMAO!

Facts, who needs 'em. laugh2

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:13 PM

This is why there have been so many engine builders chassis builders have said screw it im not going to keep posting over here just to be made out like I'm stupid just look at the board now if it was not for guys like Monte Brett Miller teaching us about the things they know best we would all be stuck in the 80s
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:17 PM

Yes
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not there own facts......I to thought Monza driving around Lutz was pretty bad [censored]. hey it is TV SHOW about drag racing.......just be happy it is not about making moonshine, digging ginsang, remodeling your kitchen, or hunting pirate treasure that most likely does not exist.
As far as reaper goes I truly hate it for him. That motor was big coin and racing is hard enough. I really hate it for the guy that has to fix it quick so he can get back out there........Todd
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:35 PM

It's a good thing you have thick skin Monte cuz we sure like having you here. You might have a few small battles on this site but there's ALOT of guys that post here or lurk here that take in your knowledge daily.
I remember when I got chastised here for complaining about all the cars on PassTime that say they have 850HP and lay down a high 10 second pass lol.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:53 PM

I generally only try to post on things I have a bit of experience in. I don't post crap just for the hell of it. I have been here for 12 years and have around 6700 posts. That equals out to about 1.5 posts per day for 12 years. That hardly equals just putting my 2 cents in a bunch of topics. So if I post, it's generally something I have tried and know works, or it's an area I have decent knowledge in, or know I have FACTS. Am I set in my ways and how I like to do things? you betcha, but that's because I have been doing this stuff a long time and have as such tried a LOT of different things and different approaches.

I have worked in a professional engine shop as a machinist, an assembler, as well as the one who cooked up the combos. I owned a chassis shop where we did simple bar installs to turn key Pro Mods. I have driven everything from bracket cars, to stockers, to alky funny cars. I have tuned small tire, big tire and radial tired cars to world championships in various organizations. My job and years of doing it has allowed me the opportunity to gain experience in many different areas that most don't get a chance to. So yeah, I am pretty firm in my ideas and don't apologize for it.........but am always learning and willing to listen to someone who thinks they know better. Convince me your way is better and I will gladly see it your way, but don't get mad and personal because I DON'T see it your way. I am NEVER the first to make it personal, but will damn sure retaliate when someone chooses to make it so
Posted By: 65 Hemi

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:55 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!! And I can't believe Monte says he does this too. As soon as my hood comes off the race car a clean rags goes over the carb to prevent things like this from happening. And unless I'm working on the carb the rag stays there till the job is finished. Why would ANYONE purposely put something in or on a carb or throttle body BEGGING for something bad to happen. [/quote]
I seen rags hold the throttle open or catch fire. You may want to invest in one of these. This sport is to difficult and I don't want to see anything bad happen to anybody!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-Carburetor-Cap-Dust-Cover-for-4500-Dominator-Carbs-7-5-16-Neck-65803-/111791544255?hash=item1a074b97bf:g:lCIAAOSwQJhUifc4&vxp=mtr

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:57 PM

Heck, it's a Chevy engine, who cares. Hope they all do it, end of show.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/21/16 10:58 PM

hey pirate treasure is out there i have seen it on the tv
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Reaper can't catch a break. Really would like to see some clean trouble free passes from him.

I wonder why Reaper doesn't take His car down to Thunder Valley south of Noble and get that car straightened out there? Legit NHRA tight track, no goofball goat rodeo crowd/audience,... focus on getting clean dry hard launches and then go back to that TV business after things are cleared up. Seems like much more trouble to do the 'figure it out' in front of Your competition/everyone action?
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 01:26 AM

Reapers new engine looked good at PRI.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By Dduster

I wonder why Reaper doesn't take His car down to Thunder Valley south of Noble and get that car straightened out there? Legit NHRA tight track, no goofball goat rodeo crowd/audience,... focus on getting clean dry hard launches and then go back to that TV business after things are cleared up. Seems like much more trouble to do the 'figure it out' in front of Your competition/everyone action?
The plug incident was at Thunder Valley. Exploded trans...Thunder valley. He and all the others go there a lot. Lutz, Chief and Murder Nova testing last week..........Thunder Valley. They usually do it down past the finish line.

The car is a rocket when it makes a clean hit, as seen by him putting about 5 on Dave and losing to Chief by a nose, when he really wasn't setup to run Chief that night. These guys are ALL so fast now, that when it's your night, it's your night. If not you look dumb.

I know I don't usually talk about stuff that hasn't aired, but giving an example here. It's pretty obvious Doc's car is a beast and as fast as anything there. He made a tire change and a couple other things and dropped to 8th on the list before he could stop the bleeding recently
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By Dduster

The plug incident was at Thunder Valley. Exploded trans...Thunder valley. He and all the others go there a lot. Lutz, Chief and Murder Nova testing last week..........Thunder Valley. They usually do it down past the finish line.

The car is a rocket when it makes a clean hit, as seen by him putting about 5 on Dave and losing to Chief by a nose, when he really wasn't setup to run Chief that night. These guys are ALL so fast now, that when it's your night, it's your night. If not you look dumb.

I know I don't usually talk about stuff that hasn't aired, but giving an example here. It's pretty obvious Doc's car is a beast and as fast as anything there. He made a tire change and a couple other things and dropped to 8th on the list before he could stop the bleeding recently

That's just how quickly it can go sideways. Something that looks as simple as a tire change can change anything and everything including IC and shock settings, launch RPM etc.

I've already posted I had a 1/2 inch wrench go through an engine. It happens.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 03:59 AM

When Doc had the car redone by a very well known chassis builder, I cautioned him to NOT let the guy move the motor back. A Monte Carlo already has a long wheelbase and good motor position. It needed to be built like a pro nitrous car, meaning about 54% nose weight. He(builder) did as he wanted because he had "street car" in his head and the car is 50/50. It's been a constant struggle to keep it from hammering the tire and shaking. On another racers advice, albeit one with a totally different combo, Doc tried a different tire that was actually a MORE aggressive tire. That didn't go well........LOL!!!! We really need to move the motor forward, but that's MAJOR surgery. Plus it really won't hold the tire we NEED because Doc didn't want to bubble the 1/4 panels. So would have to raise the car to fit them, which isn't good either

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 04:20 AM

When Doc had the car redone by a very well known chassis builder, I cautioned him to NOT let the guy move the motor back. A Monte Carlo already has a long wheelbase and good motor position. It needed to be built like a pro nitrous car, meaning about 54% nose weight. He(builder) did as he wanted because he had "street car" in his head and the car is 50/50. It's been a constant struggle to keep it from hammering the tire and shaking. On another racers advice, albeit one with a totally different combo, Doc tried a different tire that was actually a MORE aggressive tire. That didn't go well........LOL!!!! We really need to move the motor forward, but that's MAJOR surgery. Plus it really won't hold the tire we NEED because Doc didn't want to bubble the 1/4 panels. So would have to raise the car to fit them, which isn't good either

I would expect a car built to that level would be able to move some weight forward.

Then again, moving weight forward changes everything and requires everything else to be redone.

Then again, if you think the engine is too far back, it's hard to move that much weight forward without moving the engine. He is in a tough spot.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 04:25 AM

There is nothing to move. Nothing in the rear of car but tubing and body. The motor is just too far back. Next thing is to hang some weight in the front and give it a go.

This is what we got into with Pro Nitrous cars when split window Vettes were the popular body. They just inherently had too much bite because of engine position once they all went to the BIG motors. Just couldn't get enough nose weight. And if you notice now, you never see NEW Pro Nitrous split windows
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969

care to point out any piece on Reaper's engine that will bolt onto a production chevy engine?
Posted By: misfired

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 04:43 AM

Sorry for going backward here but I can't resist as a nitrous small block guy that buys plugs by the 120 count case. I set my plugs on my carb, I've read montes posts, met him briefly on drag week for a hat and even have a plate kit he flowed I bought 2nd hand. That being said I just put my plugs in the carb my self period. It's very real to think Monte didn't tell those guys you have to do this, also if the guy was new to the reaper car, maybe he's never been around efi...I know my plugs cannot fit through my carb if I wanted them too but obviously efi is different. Anyone who has actually tried to race a fast n2o car knows it's a sweaty busy JOB to get it ready, easy to forget without enough help for other [censored]

Oh and I have also used Steve Johnson stuff, applied, speed tech and nitrous outlet, I'm not in love with Monte but I respect his time and his craft. Only reason for my post, it will fall on your deaf ears mainly cause moparts is to old and afraid of difference in opinions. Monte how much pph can a .590 purple shaft swallow?😭

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 04:53 AM

I also put my plugs in my carb, always say I am going to get a tray for the carb and never do. It's easy to keep them in order in the carb, even do it on Brett's motor and Tory's too. I guess I am dumb.

Hated to see reaper hurt his motor, but it wasn't his fault. I know of another guy that had a helper spray carb cleaner on a spounge on the bottom of a lift off hood, to clean some grease off. Then set hood on roof of painted car. What can you do he was there helping you out. Sucks when it happens.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 05:27 AM

It sucks in a major way that someone's engine got destroyed due to a careless mistake. I've been wrenching professionally for more than 32 years now and have caused some damage and worked hard to learn from my mistakes and of those around me. I have worked at many different shops along the way and my co-workers have run the gamut from mouth breathers that shouldn't have ever been near anywhere anything mechanical, to dedicated type A professionals. I have NEVER HEARD of putting spark plugs in a carb before reading about it in this thread, no less having it advocated as a good practice. Frankly, it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Sounds more like Russian Roulette than anything. fan I've successful by NOT setting myself up to fail. twocents
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 08:22 AM

I also Appreciate Monte's reply and insight on the show.
I used to like Dave but it seems like he is playing games more then James is. I Thought it was Great that James did the 7 days to Dave. It was a payback in my opinion and I Loved it. With Dave Only wanting to race up the list isn't fair to anyone since they all have to race someone below them sometimes.
The call outs are getting crazy the way it's being done and I liked it better before this season started.
I also liked the new blood being brought it to keep the list fast plus we got to see more cool cars racing. I Like the show and always watch it Tuesday am since I work at night.
And last I am Happy that Monza is running fast and beating the promods. I like promods but not on the show.
AGAIN THANKS MONTE for all the info on here.
David

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969

care to point out any piece on Reaper's engine that will bolt onto a production chevy engine?

Back with THAT bs again. Where you put a bolt has nothing to do with what engine design it is. I guess Toyota builds top fuel engines now since there name is on the butterflies. With what you're saying we can't call a it 9 inch Ford rear anymore since nothing is used from Ford, Strange, MW makes the stuff now. Can't call it a power glide, Chevy don't make it. All aftermarket. New parts are made everyday but it still comes down to a core design. No amount of debating will change that.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 02:46 PM

....and a NHRA topic hasn't had 6 pages of anything here in 15 years. smile

Monza's car vs pro mod..... different frosting, same cupcake.

still waiting for the "they aint street cars" comment, or did we finally get beyond that! laugh2
Posted By: dvw

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 05:02 PM

As always the show is full of Drama. It keeps most of us watching. I take it with a grain of salt. Anybody has made mistakes that have cost us, not just in cars, but life in general. I got to give him credit for how calm he was when they discovered the issue. Maybe it was staged? That is a sign of someone with a real mind set to accomplish a goal. I wish I had half the knowledge these guys do about car set-up, no dummies.
Doug

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
As always the show is full of Drama. It keeps most of us watching. I take it with a grain of salt. Anybody has made mistakes that have cost us, not just in cars, but life in general. I got to give him credit for how calm he was when they discovered the issue. Maybe it was staged? That is a sign of someone with a real mind set to accomplish a goal. I wish I had half the knowledge these guys do about car set-up, no dummies.
Doug

I doubt that was staged. Maybe James realizes he isn't perfect. The guy was new.

Try finding someone under 35 to work on this stuff. It's almost impossible to find them.

What good would getting pissed off had done?

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 08:53 PM

Oh it definitely wasn't staged, that motor was nearly brand new and it cost him over 10 grand to fix it. On camera James can come across as a hot head, but he is really not. Most would have come unglued when that happened, he didn't. As far as "new guy" Mike......he was with James when they brought car here and we were ribbing him about the plug deal. Mike still felt bad, but James was over it
Posted By: CSK

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 09:12 PM

Oh it definitely wasn't staged, that motor was nearly brand new and it cost him over 10 grand to fix it. On camera James can come across as a hot head, but he is really not. Most would have come unglued when that happened, he didn't. As far as "new guy" Mike......he was with James when they brought car here and we were ribbing him about the plug deal. Mike still felt bad, but James was over it

Thanks again Monte for posting on this forum.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By madscientist
What good would getting pissed off had done?

Absolutely nothing, the damage was already done.

I was chuckling when I grenaded my last nearly new engine. Not much you can do but laugh at this stuff sometimes. It was totally my fault too due to miscalculating the compression ratio, multiple times. laugh2

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 09:43 PM

We have ALL done stupid stuff. My number one? Burned a piston and thrashed to change it between rounds. Put an alum rod cap on backwards in the rush. It made it 1000ft.......LOL!!!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Monza's car vs pro mod..... different frosting, same cupcake.

haha

Still made a he11uva pass against Lutz to hold his spot, though.

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/22/16 10:31 PM

We have ALL done stupid stuff. My number one? Burned a piston and thrashed to change it between rounds. Put an alum rod cap on backwards in the rush. It made it 1000ft.......LOL!!!

I forgot I had removed the idle and hi bleeds from my car for a customer so when I went to start it I thought it sounded funky and quickly found out why..........wouldn't idle but I could keep it running w/the gas peddle.............lmao..........
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/23/16 12:13 AM

Watching the last weeks episode titled "one" at 5 minutes in Doc is pulling plugs, has a nice tray on top of the engine to stack all his parts & tools on. GREAT IDEA!

Putting parts and tools on top of a 50K engine is setting yourself up for a possible failure. Reapers deal was at 20 minutes in on the same show. Stuck at WOT in the burnout is hard on things also.

Before you do something ask yourself, what is the worst thing that can happen?

Yes I asked myself this before posting this. LOL
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/23/16 12:18 AM

the best thing is to record it Monday and watch it Tuesday in about 15 minutes and bypass all the bs and drama
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/23/16 05:09 PM

FRANKENSTEIN never scared me. It was the marsupials

Re: Street Outlaws. Now I've seen it ALL (Reaper) - 12/23/16 09:15 PM

cuz they`re,,,fast haha
on anther note andy frost say`s his car is a pro mod hehehe
© 2024 Moparts Forums