Moparts

Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block

Posted By: Lifsgrt

Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 05:13 PM

I plan to use a Milodon road race oil pan on with wedge. No room for a dry sump setup, so planning a dual external line Milodon pump, so would have to modify the pan for dual pickups. Any recommendations on keeping this engine properly oiled? The B1 heads drain through external lines to the pan. Windage tray recommendation? Should I block oil in the middle of the lifter valley and route to the back and front of the valley?
Thanks for your help, I cannot afford to learn the mistakes on my own!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 06:12 PM

I'm sure Al will see this and help you out...
but he runs aftermarket blocks to make them live
and priority oiling is a start.. and a dry sump
is another.. being that your playing on the salt
and will be at high rpm for minutes you WILL suck
a wet sump dry.. you better rethink your engine
wave
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 06:21 PM

Most Milodon pans come with a windage tray. I would also install a crankscraper. Not familiar with dry sumps to give any input.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 06:55 PM

Crank scraper as well. Also external booster oil supply like an accusump would be wise. B1 head oil return is a PITA. S/F....Ken M
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By EchoSixMike
Crank scraper as well. Also external booster oil supply like an accusump would be wise. B1 head oil return is a PITA. S/F....Ken M
iagree
Full groove main bearings, loose, not tight tsk, bearing clearances,.003+ on both the rods and mains and plenty of oil in the pan up set the bypass spring for .0010 per each thousand RPM with warm or hot oil thumbs
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 09:35 PM

Do all the tricks you can to get the oil back to the pan, use a full synthetic oil, tends to slide off those surfaces better, grind all the little ridges off, chamfer all drain back holes, over fill the pan as much as it will allow, once it gets up to rpm there will be a lot of oil up there but still have some in reserve in pan. Once you learn that curve the windage can be sorted out. Good luck
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 10:09 PM

Razor/ Missile enterprises dry sump. Make room.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 10:10 PM

Look at the fittings that go through the pan to the pickup, and make sure they aren't intruding on the available space for oil flow into the fitting from the pan. I had to cut off the AN tapered male seat on mine, and then bevel the entry for the best setup. You might want to consider an accusump as well.

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/17/16 11:20 PM

You have a PM about this scope

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/18/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Razor/ Missile enterprises dry sump. Make room.

Thats my opinion on this.. I dont know of any
pan that will hold enough oil for a few minutes
of WOT.. most guys complain about the low oil
when they hit the brakes on the top end.. thats
in 9-10 seconds on a BB
wave
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/18/16 12:49 AM

If this is a saltflat car then I'd be cutting all the baffles out of the pan - you want the oil to have easy access to the pickup(s).

Dual line ... I think I'd stick with a single. This ensures you don't empty the pan and suck air. There's no point in drawing in more oil than will fit up the block passage, it just goes out the bypass and any that can't go out the bypass is causing unnecessary drag on the pump.

I'd increase the size of the drains from the heads if possible and use teflon-lined lines to get the best flow possible.

What's this motor going in?
Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/18/16 05:49 AM

1969 Daytona clone. Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/18/16 09:52 AM

I would not suggest the roadrace pan for sustained RPM.It has a lot of internal structure in it and adding a second pickup would be a lot of work as well. Since that pan is almost 500 bones and still would need work why not call Charlies or Stefs and have them make you a pan to fit your needs? I agree with the above posters that a dry sump would be better. The Missle system would work. All you need is space for the sump tank. If your building a Daytona clone there is room up front for one. You just might need a custom sump tank which would not be that hard to fab. Hey you are going to the salt. Street and strip type systems are going to fall short and if you are going bucks down, you have to spend wisely.
Todd
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/20/16 01:50 AM

Use an oil shedding compound inside the lifter valley and in the crank area like glyptol or some of the new ceramic stuff, that helps the oil get back to the pan. Tim

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/20/16 02:48 AM

I remember seeing a photo of the valley of Dave Dudek's FAST hemi and all the holes down the center were closed up so the oil would only drain back at the front. This would keep the oil in a steady stream and ever though it would still get beat up by the front two rods, it would be a heavier/faster flow back to the pan.

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/20/16 05:13 AM

Tell that to Dudek !!!
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/20/16 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
I remember seeing a photo of the valley of Dave Dudek's FAST hemi and all the holes down the center were closed up so the oil would only drain back at the front. This would keep the oil in a steady stream and ever though it would still get beat up by the front two rods, it would be a heavier/faster flow back to the pan.

Seems counterproductive when you consider G force sending the oil backwards away from the opening at the distributor gear area.

Make sure you doctor up those Milodon fittings to radius the 90s. I wasn't impressed with the quality of their kits, perticularly the fittings exiting the oil pan. I'd either replace them with full flow 90 ANs or hog them out to take out the corner.

Also, if you're going to use the Glyptal paint, I'd suggest using EL601 Red Insulating Varnish spray can. It's $5 a can vs. Eastwood's $50 can and works just as well.

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/20/16 07:43 AM

I Rustoleum Red damp Proof primer on the lifter valleys and timing cover areas after deburring them on all my iron Mopar motors up
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 01:33 AM

Quote:
[Also, if you're going to use the Glyptal paint, I'd suggest using EL601 Red Insulating Varnish spray can. It's $5 a can
A39Coronet is that EL601 number also a Glyptal brand?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 02:02 AM

It is Sprayon brand.

R.

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 02:20 AM

Another thing to think of is knife edging the
crank on both sides of the counter weights...
think of a sail boat cutting through the water
VS a power boat.. a sail boat slices the water
and lets it slide back together and a power boat
has a wake
wave
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 02:24 AM

You will scatter the engine all across the salt with a typical drag car oiling system. You will not be able to sustain 8000rpm for more than a mile at that rpm/ hp. Dry sump or leave it parked in the garage.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
You will scatter the engine all across the salt with a typical drag car oiling system. You will not be able to sustain 8000rpm for more than a mile at that rpm/ hp. Dry sump or leave it parked in the garage.

Yeas that ole #4 main will be cherry red at the end of a mile
yea yea the ole nascrap trick of running a hose from oil pump to the unused port at the rear to " slow oil down" makes me laugh
when I get to see inside one a see that happening I will believe it
reminds me I have asked my wife to take some of my cremated ashes and drop a spoonful at a time down the carb of a hot engine running wide azz open so I can finally see what is going on in there--she does not have to move the timing and do it over and over I just want one glance LOL

DRY SUMP well designed by someone that KNows!! Your only hope and that idea by sasquatch about a well designed Charlies pan is one to take to heart
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 03:19 AM

Well, these guys should know Jerry. I still have the pan and if the Missile pump that Todd Sasquatch, is talking about will work for you, it's the best option. Call him, he probably knows where to find one.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oiling system for 8000+ RPM B-block - 12/21/16 03:54 AM

This guy's shop is just around the corner from my shop. He has had to do a lot of work to the oiling systems to keep these engine alive on the salt.

http://www.target550.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums