Moparts

Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability

Posted By: Lifsgrt

Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/04/16 06:34 AM

Anybody have experience putting over 900hp through a Viper 6 Speed transmission in a roadrace or Bonneville Salt Flats type environment? I believe it is an -1806, one of the later Viper transmissions. Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/04/16 09:07 AM

Plenty of Viper road racers out there shruggy I'm sure the Silver State road race has had more than one Viper entered that made over 900 HP with the supercharger and EFI conversions available for them, that race is right at 100 mile long on a public highway in central Nevada scope work
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/04/16 03:25 PM

There are a variety of performance parts and mods available for these transmissions so, you are of course not limited to a purely production T-56.

- EM
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/04/16 03:37 PM

The Hellcat cars come with a viper spec T56 if I remember right. Dumping the clutch on 4400lbs with that kind of torque can't be easy on them, they seem to hold up.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/04/16 09:21 PM

The later model 6 speeds are a tr-6060. There are differences between the t56 and the 6060, with the 6060 being stronger. I don't think they switched to the 6060 in the viper until 2009 or so. Earlier transmissions can be updated to handle more power. References I have seen are t56 transzilla and donato engineering (google) that have good info. The high power models have 9310 material gearsets and some are modified for external pumps/coolers. There is also a good write up from one of the LS websites that I will link once I find it - even though it doesn't mention the viper specifically, it does have a lot of detail that is good to know. Here is one modified for a cooler with an updated gear set (the two grooves on the input are supposed to indicate the updated gears)

Attached picture IMG_0270.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0271.JPG
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/05/16 03:31 AM

It depends on what you are using it for. If it's a street car that never sees the track I wouldn't worry about recommended torque specs because you will never really hook it up to stress things. Buddy has a 35 Plymouth with a blown, aluminum, 1100 hp 572 hemi with a tremec 5 spd. Drives it everywhere and took it on PowerTour, No issues.
Posted By: mopar873

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/05/16 04:40 AM

Coming from the LS-world recently, a real common setup is a "Viperized" T56. Transmissions like this with an upgraded slave cylinder are surviving behind numerous full-weight cars hooking with slicks and running single digits on dragstrips. In my experience, the gear cooler-mods come into play when the cars see mid 9's or faster.
The nice thing about running one of these is that the aftermarket support and variety of parts available is huge. Whatever your application turns out to be, I would highly recommend a Tick Performance aftermarket slave cylinder with a remote bleeder line. It makes life so much easier and it has a huge effect on clean clutch disengagement or powershifting a T56 (if you so desire). High power+ a good clutch + stock hydraulics are a no-go.
If you're going to run a scattershield, go with a Quicktime. The fit and setup is way better than some competitors.
Speaking of Tick Performance, a top shelf rep there is Martin Smallwood. He's one of the go-to guys and has a ton of experience both running the 6 speeds and helping others with setups.

Good luck and have fun
Posted By: 383man

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/05/16 06:10 AM

This Tremec 5-speed that I went through is in my buddies 69 Camaro with a 468 bigblock and its been holding up ok for years. He just had some worn linkage as it got stuck in 2 gears. I updated it and installed the performance sycro's with the lining material on them. Ron

Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/06/16 06:51 AM

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/06/16 05:28 PM

http://rsgear.com/products/performance-race-transmissions
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Viper Tremec 6 speed hp capability - 12/07/16 03:16 AM

Road race: cooler, and think about one for the diff as well. Doesn't have to be fancy, a $60 12 volt Shur-Flo and a small ATF cooler is a big improvement.
© 2024 Moparts Forums