Moparts

PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED

Posted By: BradH

PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/02/16 06:26 PM

This is something of a rehash of an older thread I started, but I have more pics of the original Dick Landy-modified T/A hood scoop that I'm considering copying for my Challenger. I like it... and then again I don't... all at the same time, but I'd really like to increase my hood clearance at least 1" over the carb from what it has now.

Here's a variety of the pics I found of how Landy did it, which is NOT the same as the recently "restored" Landy Pro Stock Challenger's hood was done.

Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger1.jpg
Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger9.jpg
Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger6.jpg

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 06:28 PM

Some other original pics...

Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger5.jpg
Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger7.jpg
Attached picture DandyDickLandyProStockChallenger8.jpg

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 06:34 PM

Three (3) pics of my Challenger, two as the T/A hood is now, and one I modified to provide a view of what I think it would look like w/ the "Landy Lump" mod.

Seriously... is this over the top for a silly-a$$ 10-sec. street/strip car, or would it not be that bad for what the car is?

I have to take trip right nearby the shop I spoke w/ before about doing to mod, and the temptation to throw the hood into the back of my van and drop it off to have it done is growing. work

Attached picture MoPig_RP_DLI.jpg
Attached picture MoPig_RP.JPG
Attached picture Mopig_LF.jpg
Posted By: jwb123

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 06:40 PM

Years ago I had a TA hood on my 73 challenger, I always thought the TA scoop was the best looking mopar ever built. The Landy scoop is a modification of the TA, since your car never had a TA scoop available, I would go for it, I think it would look great. Is somebody re-poping the Landy scoop or you just having some body do the glass work?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 06:45 PM

Basic answer is do whatever you want, it's your car. Some will like it, some will hate, but in the end it only matters what YOU think.

Now if it was me, I would skip the "lump" and just section the whole top half of the scoop and raise it. Same profile only higher. The lump looks like an after thought (which it was). But again, it really only matters what YOU think
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Basic answer is do whatever you want, it's your car. Some will like it, some will hate, but in the end it only matters what YOU think.

Now if it was me, I would skip the "lump" and just section the whole top half of the scoop and raise it. Same profile only higher. The lump looks like an after thought (which it was). But again, it really only matters what YOU think

iagree 1000% up
Do you want to be a player or a poser? A leader or a follower? work
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 07:07 PM

I like the Landy Lump...Fits the car!
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 07:34 PM

I don't really like the "lump" but I do like the TA style boundary layer bleed-off scoop. If I were you, I'd take a TA Scoop and cut it up so it looks like the scoop that comes on the late model Drag Pack cars ... that scoop is like a Darth Vader TA Scoop on steroids. The PR-2 Picture below is from Unlimited Fiberglass and shows the stock TA style hood scoop with dimensions that they sell. I'd buy that and start cutting and glassing it until I had what I wanted. I looked around to see if I could find a Drag Pack scoop available in the aftermarket with no luck. A friend of mine tracked down the business that makes the Drag Pack scoop to see if they would sell me one but they wanted like $1200 for just the scoop ... to pricy on my poorboy budget. Besides, I like getting all itchy working with fiberglass (not).

Attached picture IMG_0023.JPG
Attached picture pr2opth.gif
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 07:40 PM

I like a oversized ta scoop better, Rick Rhondy had on his challenger.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 07:43 PM

Posted By: 1mean340

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 07:43 PM

I'm normally the guy who thinks that anything straying too far from stock looks ridiculous on a car whose bite can't back up its bark, but honestly I barely notice the difference from the factory T/A scoop to the Landy style one. It's not like you're adding one of those giant hardwood scoops or a 4" cowl (and just about every 10 second fox body or chevy has at least a 4" cowl LOL).

Off topic, but I love the look of the raised R/T hood. I could really use one so I can run something taller than the procharger low profile carb bonnet on my procharged setup but I can't find anyone who sells them anymore.

Attached picture Challenger-PIR.jpg

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 08:25 PM

Replies to various questions & comments...

The idea of sectioning the top of the whole hood scoop and raising it is similar to how the "restored" Landy car's hood was done, although there is a bit of the "lump" in that one, too. It turned out really nice -- although a good bit taller than the original -- and not like a band-aid job at all.

Nobody I could find repros the Drag Pak scoop, either. But it's also proportioned differently on the new Challenger.

I've gone back & forth on the VFN 5" T/A scoop that Rick R. and some others run for longer than I've been considering doing the Landy band-aid mod. On his solid 9-second car it looks cool. On mine... I think it would look like I don't have the car to back up the scoop.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By lockjaw-express
I like the Landy Lump...Fits the car!

You calling my car a "lump"? tonguue
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 09:09 PM

^^^^^^^
This!!
scoop would look awesome with the openings at the same ht. as the lump; basically just the whole scoop raised to that ht. You see it all the time with taller 6-pac scoops. I'd love to see it. And don't apologize for applying this to "only a 10 second car". Don't let yourself get jaded, 10 second street E-bodies are mighty-cool indeed! and should never need to make an apology for anything! Great looking, and running car!!
Posted By: topside

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 11:53 PM

I agree with Monte. I'd probably either add a section to make the opening larger, or add below it to raise the scoop a bit. Landy's deal looks OK to me, but the whole point is fresh cool air.
I wouldn't worry about the context of a 10-second street car, that's still plenty respectable.
I don't even mind cowl-induction hoods on Mopars, which is something I might do with my Duster project because I think it fits better into the sleeper/patina vibe the car has instead of the 6-pack scoop on it now. It needs 3" over the air cleaner to clear the Indy BB top end, otherwise I'd run a flat hood.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/02/16 11:53 PM

Put the lump in the scoop.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 12:37 AM

If I was guessing and this is strictly a GUESS........the only reason Landy did that, is there was probably a rule dictating scoop opening height and size to remain stock at the time. But that didn't stop them from doing OTHER things. You know......those gray areas of a rule........LOL!!!

Plus, it's been proven that even with the boundary layer underneath the opening, those scoops really aren't high enough to do much good. That's why I would raise the whole thing. Most factory scoops are for looks or air cleaner clearance. They seldom work
Posted By: BloFish

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 12:39 AM

Lump it.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 12:42 AM

I like the one you have now-1st, then the Landy lump, and lastly the taller no lump. But I assume you need more carb clearance, so the lump has my vote. I'm sure you can get one from year one smile
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 12:44 AM

The one who bent the rules the most was Smokey Yunick....but what do I know? laugh
Posted By: Bill_T

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By BradH
I've gone back & forth on the VFN 5" T/A scoop that Rick R. and some others run for longer than I've been considering doing the Landy band-aid mod. On his solid 9-second car it looks cool. On mine... I think it would look like I don't have the car to back up the scoop.

Have Monte send you a kit. Then you could run nines too (if you were running). Problem solved.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 01:41 AM

I like the scoop on Rick's blue Challenger T/A much better than the Landy lump. Nothing wrong with a scoop on a 10 second car!

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By rumblefish72
I don't really like the "lump" but I do like the TA style boundary layer bleed-off scoop. If I were you, I'd take a TA Scoop and cut it up so it looks like the scoop that comes on the late model Drag Pack cars ...

Anyone know how tall a Drag Pak scoop is?
Posted By: CSK

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 03:13 AM

I like the lump scoop, but no one listens to me. smile
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 03:13 AM

I like the " lump" as well as the Drag Pak scoop. I don't think you will go wrong with either part.

How much extra space will you get with the Landy scoop?

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By hudsonhornet7x
I like the " lump" as well as the Drag Pak scoop. I don't think you will go wrong with either part.

How much extra space will you get with the Landy scoop?

As much as I tell the fiberglass resto/repair guy to raise it.
sawzall + bondo
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

iagree 1000% up
Do you want to be a player or a poser? A leader or a follower? work
I agree with what they said

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 04:16 AM

I think this is the SS/D car that NHRA declared illegal in tech at the 1974 or 1975 Winternationals (CRS realcrazy)and then later allowed it to race after some political input from the Mopar factory drag racing engineers in the form of some factory letters declaring that hood and other non standard parts as original factory installed parts on the late production 1971 hemi 4 speed cars whistling work shruggy
AKA aside, I saw that car there and didn't realized that the scoop had been modified confused
I like it up
Posted By: 383man

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 08:12 AM

I like the Landy Lump TA scoop and thats what I would do if I were you. I am not a fan of the bigger or taller stock style scoops. Like was said do what you want but I think the lump TA scoop looks fine on a Challenger. Ron
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 06:07 PM

Cut the scoop off completely and get a tunnel ram
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 06:28 PM

Winner^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: thedriver

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 06:40 PM

I put a 5" six pack scoop on a lift off glass hood on my car. I don't know how to post pics on here anymore, but it's the same look as the red mr.norm 71 hemi challenger.
It's obnoxious for sure. But so am I....lol
Posted By: Iowan

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 07:44 PM

The lump is part of mopar history so how can you argue with that? The thing is you have to do it correctly, if you don't it will look @#%&ed up.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 08:24 PM

One more vote for the tunnel ram!
Posted By: mr_340

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 09:29 PM

The Landy "Lump" scoop looks like part T/A at the front, and part Six Pack at the rear.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By Iowan
The lump is part of mopar history so how can you argue with that? The thing is you have to do it correctly, if you don't it will look @#%&ed up.
Do it correctly? There is no "correctly". That was likely done in a last minute thrash when the hood would not fit...........LOL!!! If more than one hood, pretty large possibility no two are alike
Posted By: Sport440

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/03/16 11:48 PM

Don't like the lump, its main purpose was Probably just for clearance, like your looking to do. In that case, if I were to do it. Id open up the whole scoop, as others have stated, and oh yeah, don't screw it up. laugh2
Posted By: Tig

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/04/16 02:21 PM

An obnoxious hood scoop, yesterday.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/04/16 11:13 PM

Going to section the top and raise the whole thing up 1.5"; it'll look a lot like a Drag Pak scoop on a first gen Challenger.
Posted By: 383man

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/05/16 06:29 AM

Do it correctly? There is no "correctly". That was likely done in a last minute thrash when the hood would not fit...........LOL!!! If more than one hood, pretty large possibility no two are alike

I am guessing by saying do it correctly he means do it to look as close to how it looked on Landy's car when Landy ran it. Unless Landy modded it more and had more then one look on his Lump scoop on his car. I dont think anyone else ran one like that other then Landy as far as I can remember but I may be wrong. Ron

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/05/16 08:36 AM

I'm wondering if that car is the SS car I'm thinking of or maybe it is a different Modified Eliminator car confused
I bought a old street racer 1970 T/A Challenger out of Santa Monica, CA that had a steel hood on it with a T/A scoop with a lump on it like in that picture work I wonder who was making them back then work
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/05/16 03:46 PM

I like the suggestion to raise the whole scoop higher. Not that the lump looks bad, I just think raising the whole scoop will look better.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/05/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By 383man

I am guessing by saying do it correctly he means do it to look as close to how it looked on Landy's car when Landy ran it. Unless Landy modded it more and had more then one look on his Lump scoop on his car. I dont think anyone else ran one like that other then Landy as far as I can remember but I may be wrong. Ron

Yes that is what I meant, the scoop might have been a last minute hack but it was done well. I have a feeling that a last minute hack for Dick Landy was full of detail, the lines on the scoop look good.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/05/16 05:49 PM

Going to section the top and raise the whole thing up 1.5"; it'll look a lot like a Drag Pak scoop on a first gen Challenger.

Good choice!!

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/06/16 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By Triple Threat

Good choice!!

up bow
Posted By: RobR

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/07/16 10:23 PM

Any reason why you don't lower the engine?
I got everything to fit under the stock hood of my 68 GTX..-1's..with 440 2 and 440 3 intakes...
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/07/16 11:46 PM

I don't like the bigger opening, raise the whole thing off the hood. Just like the snorkel type of the 70s, one of the best looking, boundary layer, scoops ever.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/08/16 02:57 AM

I like it, mostly because it raises the question "what does he know, and what did he do?" when most cars are clones.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/08/16 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By RobR
Any reason why you don't lower the engine?
I got everything to fit under the stock hood of my 68 GTX..-1's..with 440 2 and 440 3 intakes...

I talked to a friend of mine who has done some extensive restorations about this approach years ago. I don't recall exactly what he told me, but it persuaded me to not go that way in order to increase hood clearance.

////////////////

I spoke with the guy who will be doing the work today. Although the original job we discussed was to "lump" it, he's got no problem doing the "raise the roof" job instead. I'll be dropping off the hood on Saturday.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/10/16 07:28 PM

I'll be dropping off the hood on Saturday.

Done. Now I'm in "wait & see" mode for the job to be completed. luck
Posted By: ProSport

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/12/16 11:31 PM

Rick's blue Challenger looked BadAzz with that scoop, and running 9.60's with big wheelies didn't hurt either.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/15/16 06:57 PM

I'll be dropping off the hood on Saturday.

Done. Now I'm in "wait & see" mode for the job to be completed. luck

Got a call from the shop asking if I can stop by on my way home from work today to check on the hood's progress, and make sure it's what I was looking for before it's completed.

1. sawzall
2. hammer
3. bondo
4. primer
5. scope

work
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 12:57 AM

Cool Brad..............

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:05 AM

This is what it looks like this afternoon.

Attached picture JBL hood mod_1_sm.jpg
Attached picture JBL hood mod_2_sm.jpg
Attached picture JBL hood mod_3_sm.jpg

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:08 AM

And here's your basic Drag Pak scoop... along with the rest of the car. wink

Attached picture 2009 Challenger Drag Pak-front-three-quarters.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:10 AM

To each his own but me no likey.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:17 AM

1/2" to high IMO, but it will function better the way it is.

First scoop to low, this scoop to high, scoop somewhere in the middle Just right. devil Goldy...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:33 AM

I like it a lot.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 01:41 AM

If it doesn't sit well with me in the long run, I can buy an AAR / Stinger Fiberglass T/A replica hood and put it back the way it was.

1" wasn't going to get me the additional height I wanted. There was only ~.3" between the 3" Moroso drop-base air cleaner and the underside of the scoop, with the carb on the intake with nothing else but a gasket. Even with the torque strap, the engine might be able to rock enough on its mounts to close up that little amount of clearance even more.

I want enough additional room to be able to test .5" to 1" spacers, increase the air filter height, etc. I figured out how much more clearance was needed for these options and the minimum increase came out to 1.5", which is what you're seeing now in those pics.
Posted By: keefe

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 02:55 AM

I think it looks good Brad. I have something similar,
AAR/Stinger's bolt on A-body hood with 4 1/2" Twin Snorkel(1031XLSc). I got to give Dustedu a big thumbs up, I saw it on his car and he gave me all the imfo...
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:00 AM

I really really like the look

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:04 AM

If your going to be a leader, your going to make a lot of people look at your backsides whistling up stirthepot devil
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:16 AM

That would work for me!!

If you're going to get something like that done, might as well make it fit the stuff you want to use.

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:17 AM

Personally I really like the looks and the fact that it will actually WORK vs just a clearance bump in the old non working well scoop.........LOL!!!
Posted By: STEFF

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:28 AM

Looks killer!

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:32 AM

Looks great and should work better too!
Posted By: KOS

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 03:33 AM

i love it.....good job

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 04:03 AM

Love it or hate it, it is what it is now. shruggy It'll certainly be more functional, regardless.

I think The MoPig is going to be taking on more of a Drag Pak flavor, beyond just the scoop. I'm switching the front tires to M&H radial skinnies, which will lower the front a bit and add a bit of rake, plus I may drop the torsion bars a bit more, too, to get the ride height & stance I have in mind.

I've also decided to re-paint the bumpers in the body color, black out the grill, put a front air dam on it, etc. So, it'll not only have a new -- and hopefully faster -- engine combination, but something of a re-imaging, too. It'll look less like a common(?) street car that happens to run in the 10s, and more like a street/strip car that I'm hoping will be able to get into the LOW 10s.

He11, I may even get custom "MOPIG" plates for it. whistling

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By keefe
I think it looks good Brad. I have something similar,
AAR/Stinger's bolt on A-body hood with 4 1/2" Twin Snorkel(1031XLSc). I got to give Dustedu a big thumbs up, I saw it on his car and he gave me all the imfo...

Keefe - Is your car any closer to running again than mine? grin And Douglas better have his sh!t running when I come rumbling back into MIR, too. tonguue

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969

To each his own but me no likey.

Not a problem! You no pay-ee for it, either. haha
Posted By: CSK

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 04:29 AM

I like it, looks great!!

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 04:56 AM

Dig it man................. punkrocka
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: "Landy Lump" scoop too obnoxious for 10-sec Street Car? - 12/16/16 05:19 AM

1000% improvement. I think it's tasteful and functional which is the perfect balance.
Posted By: racerx

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/16/16 12:54 PM

That will work for me thumbs do you have plans for an air pan?

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/16/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By racerx

Yep. I've already cut out a cardboard template and will be making it out of a thin piece of wood panel, same stuff that I used with my previous one. It did such an effective job of reducing heat transfer that you could put your hand on the top of the hood and feel the temperature difference between where the hood was exposed to engine heat and where it was noticeably cooler above where the air pan sealed up against it.
Posted By: GY3

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/16/16 03:07 PM

Will look better after paint...and the nekkid female Viking mural.. grin
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/16/16 03:57 PM

That is a good idea for an air pan.

One of the nicest ones I have seen was made out of a trashcan lid. Watched a couple of guys make a trash can air pan on a Buick on Drag Week 2014 trying to squeeze a few hundredths out to stay on the board.

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:30 AM

Yep. I've already cut out a cardboard template and will be making it out of a thin piece of wood panel, same stuff that I used with my previous one. It did such an effective job of reducing heat transfer that you could put your hand on the top of the hood and feel the temperature difference between where the hood was exposed to engine heat and where it was noticeably cooler above where the air pan sealed up against it.

was there an performance advantage with the seal hood?

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 02:39 PM

Looks good, I like it.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 03:32 PM

I like that a lot! It'll look great on your Challenger.
Posted By: mprhound

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 06:18 PM

I have found another hood like this, that the whole center of the hood is raised. I want to remove the Sixpack scoop and replace it with a TA, then I will have a stock looking TA scoop that will be 3" taller because of the bulged hood. This hood gave me 3" over my ta hood.

Attached picture IMG_2743.JPG

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 06:25 PM

Another pic where you can see the raised section better

Attached picture IMG_2137.JPG

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:33 PM

was there an performance advantage with the seal hood?

A solid .1 improvement in ET and 1 MPH increase over the same old scoop and no air pan.

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By mprhound
I have found another hood like this, that the whole center of the hood is raised. I want to remove the Sixpack scoop and replace it with a TA, then I will have a stock looking TA scoop that will be 3" taller because of the bulged hood. This hood gave me 3" over my ta hood.

That's the old (and no longer produced) MAS Six Pack Challenger hood. It's the same one "Unlawful"'s Challenger has on it.

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Will look better after paint...and the nekkid female Viking mural.. grin

Well, the paint's done... but I forgot to mention the nekkid female Viking mural. tonguue

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:39 PM

FYI, the hood is DONE and paid for. up

I took some pics, but don't have access to my 'puter to post anything at this time. down

One week, start to finish. boogie

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/17/16 09:42 PM

I really like that 6bbl hood with the raised center section.

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 12:04 AM

PICS!

Attached picture JBL hood done_1_sm.jpg
Attached picture JBL hood done_2_sm.jpg

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 12:05 AM

LAST 2!

Attached picture JBL hood done_3_sm.jpg
Attached picture JBL hood done_4_sm.jpg

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 12:23 AM

Looks good!

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 12:23 AM

Looks nice, up is that matte black or gloss?

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 12:36 AM

Doesn't look near as big painted. I like it. up

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 01:06 AM

Looks nice, up is that matte black or gloss?

I didn't care if it had the T/A-type organisol(sp?) finish anymore and asked for a semi-gloss black, instead.

It's definitely NOT a "full" gloss finish, but did end up a bit shinier that I was expecting. Based on what he showed me ahead of time as an example of the final color, I thought it was be a little more "semi" than "gloss" than it turned out. shruggy

I provided a couple of pics of Drag Pak Challengers as examples of what I was thinking the modified scoop would resemble. One of the cars in those pics was white, but also had a hood finished in a very similar way as mine turned out. I have no idea if he was thinking of that car, or if he simply sprayed what he told me he would and it turned out a little different than I thought it would. No biggie either way.

Oh, and it's definitely still BIG compared to before. But I wanted the additional clearance, and there it is.

Jeez... one week from concept to reality. I wish the rest of the car would come together this quickly.

Attached picture Drag Pak w_shiny hood.jpg

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 01:30 AM

Definitely looks more "serious" now.

Should look real good on the car thumbs
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 02:49 AM

That is a old MAS hood. I know who has the molds for that hood.

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX

Are they still making them?
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/18/16 06:22 AM

I know MAS isn't around any more, but not if somebody else is actually making the same hoods. That's a nice looking hood, too.
Posted By: keefe

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 05:19 AM

"Keefe - Is your car any closer to running again than mine? And Douglas better have his sh!t running when I come rumbling back into MIR, too."

BRAD - The finished hood looks great, I can't wait to see it on the challenger.

I hope to be done with the Duster around June.

Douglas is running but he's just been street cruising here lately.

Maybe this summer we all can play hooky from work and do a track rental at MIR..

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 01:39 PM

Renting the track to help get all the changes to our cars figured out is a great idea. up
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By PorkyPig

I know MAS isn't around any more, but not if somebody else is actually making the same hoods. That's a nice looking hood, too.

I can find out. The molds were all remade just before MAS closed. I happened to stumble onto someone that knows the guy that bought all the molds. I asked if he could make me a Road Runner 6 pack hood, and it was done in a couple weeks. Was the nicest hood I ever saw come out of the molds.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 03:46 PM

I like it Brad! up

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 03:57 PM

This I like

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/266373/filename/IMG_2743.JPG

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 05:12 PM

LOOKS GREAT MAN................. beer
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/19/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By Sport440
Doesn't look near as big painted. I like it. up

I don't know, to me it still looks really d-a-m-n BIG even painted!

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 07:17 PM

Hood's home: 2 pics of it after washing off the body shop dust.

I sent these pics to a friend of mine who helps me work on the car and his reply was: "Well you got to do what you got to do. That's one ugly a$$ hood, lmao".

Whaddya expect from a resto guy? tonguue / haha

Attached picture JBL hood done_7_sm.jpg
Attached picture JBL hood done_8_sm.jpg
Posted By: GY3

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 07:24 PM

How far away are you from sucking air with it?

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 07:25 PM

So... looking at this pic of a 2016 Drag Pak... and thinking (mostly tongue-in-cheek wink ) should I get a custom decal for the side of the scoop that says "WEDGIE"? grin

Attached picture 2016 Challenger Drag Pak LF_sm.jpg

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
How far away are you from sucking air with it?

In dog years or human? realcrazy

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 07:47 PM

I'd like to see a pic of it sitting on the car

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I'd like to see a pic of it sitting on the car

I'm guessing you don't mean resting on the vinyl top (where it is now), right? whistling

I sent the same pics above to another friend, one who goes way back w/ me street racing decades ago. His response: "Wow. Looks nasty." And I think he meant that in a good way, not "Oooohhh, that's UGLY!". grin

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/27/16 08:47 PM

Hood's home: 2 pics of it after washing off the body shop dust.

I sent these pics to a friend of mine who helps me work on the car and his reply was: "Well you got to do what you got to do. That's one ugly a$$ hood, lmao".

Whaddya expect from a resto guy? tonguue / haha

Love it myself and will be functional sealed up w/an air pan but you MAY have to drill relief holes in the back of that beauty...........or not........... biggrin

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 12/28/16 03:25 AM

^^^This is what I was thinking when I was looking to have a decal.^^^
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 01/11/17 07:56 AM

Never noticed the Landy scoop has that raised edge like the MAS hoods did. I still like the Landy scoop. A lot more work to duplicate, but Less overpowering.

Attached picture Landy scoop.jpg
Attached picture LLandy scoop side.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: PICS OF "DRAG PAK'D" T/A HOOD SCOOP ADDED - 01/11/17 02:03 PM

If I don't do the shaker hood with a modified bubble for my tunnel ram I am thinking about doing one of these raised T/A hoods or maybe a raised sixpack hood for my Challenger. No way in hell it's getting a cowl hood.
© 2024 Moparts Forums