Moparts

Anyone use this alternator?

Posted By: Benforsp

Anyone use this alternator? - 10/25/16 07:18 PM

Hey all,

Looking at this alternator as possible choice for my mainly BB street car.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/al...CFckdgQod__cPyQ

Wondering if anyone has used it or any opinions as to how well it might work.

Thanks!
Posted By: rebel

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/25/16 09:37 PM

better check the voltage, there's a John Deer Tractor thats not that old on my farm at the moment & its 24volt.

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/25/16 11:44 PM

I checked it out to be sure. It's 12 V, 120 amp CW rotation.

Someone mentioned to me that some units are RPM limited but not sure on this one. Guessing would pull full amps at a relatively low RPM since it was on a tractor.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 12:25 AM

Why are you looking at tractor parts? Is it the price? I'm sure there is something comparable designed for auto use.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 12:30 AM

Appears to be a Denso. Good alternators.

That's a good price for a new alternator.

Kevin
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:07 AM

You will need the correct regulator and wiring. I'd be concerned about overspeeding it, those diesels only spin 2500 rpm. It also has 1/2" wide belts, most cars are 3/8". twocents
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:12 AM

I think it's internally regulated...Good call on the groove width!

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:25 AM

IIRC it needs a key on "alt light" signal to excite the regulator. Sorry about not being clear about that. The Dodge Ram trucks in the early 90's had 120 amp alternators that work with the electrical regulator and don't have the pulley issues. I've got one in my A-body. I bought Andy F's bracket kit, but the O.E. ones can be made to work.

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:26 AM

It's not so much about price but this is a new unit that I think will do what I want. It's internally regulated 120 amp. I'd love to hear alternative units that have a similiar price point and be able to deliver this amperage in a Denso style package.

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:28 AM

Hey Skeptic,

Good call on the groove width. Looks like the shaft is a 17 mm so wondering if a pulley swap could be done? I will look into the truck units. Seems most recommend a 60 amp unit but not convinced that would be enough. Btw are the truck units denso style?

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:36 AM

Yes, Mine was out of a 91 5.9 diesel 3500 Ram. If you are running EFI/Electric Fans/Fuel pump(s)/ Hi power Stereo/ all the above, then go 120. A 60 amp Denso will do very well- far better than the O.E. dino alternators at idle and still save weight if you aren't loading up on the add-on electrical goodies.
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:53 AM

I sell alternators for a living, it's a great choice. I have 140 amp version I could make a one wire if you like. Don't worry about pulley or speed, it's a great all around alternator
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 01:57 AM

Never used it, but you may want to check out the maximum RPM rating if you can find it. Some alternators have pretty low limits.

I used a rewound CS144 alternator with a heavy duty bridge rectifier. The kind that comes in Escalades etc. It puts out over 120 amps at a low idle. The bracket cost me less than $40. It's significantly bigger than a Denso, but it will spin out over 240 amps at cruising speed.

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 02:06 AM

240 amp crusing down the road with a CS144? Only with special stator and then it would have very little low speed output. Smaller bearings and more rotating weight than the Denso. Sorry, CS144 is no where near as good as the Denso he is looking at, and definitely not with RPM
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 06:22 AM

Whats the cost for a single wire version?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By Benforsp
Hey Skeptic,

Good call on the groove width. Looks like the shaft is a 17 mm so wondering if a pulley swap could be done? I will look into the truck units. Seems most recommend a 60 amp unit but not convinced that would be enough. Btw are the truck units denso style?

I`ve been running the Denso 60 amp for several years and at night is the time where more voltage would keep you in the 14 volt range for acc. As far as daytime, it jumps to 14.5-14.7 and pretty much stays there................ thumbs

Re: Anyone use this alternator? - 10/26/16 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By HOTMOPR
Whats the cost for a single wire version?

$130
© 2024 Moparts Forums