Moparts

New best tonight

Posted By: justinp61

New best tonight - 10/16/16 07:14 AM

I took My Dart to one of the area tracks tonight and ran a street car shoot out. The class was true street n/a. The only rules were working lights, blinkers, tagged, insured, some type of muffler, DOT tires, any size and had to make a 21 mile drive, part of which was on a 70 mph four lane.

My intent was just go and make some test hits and come home but the more I thought about it the more fun it sounded so I entered. Now this deal was a cluster from the word go, not the tracks fault as two guys from St Louis promoted and ran it.

Anyway on the cruise two cars in my class break so it only leaves five of us in my class, I'm the only Mopar in any of the four classes and the only one foot breaking in my class. Out of the five my car and a Nova were the only leaf spring cars, the others were four link. My car has 325 ET Street radials and the leaf spring Nove had 315's, all three of the other cars had huge bias ply's on them.

In the first round I beat a big tired Chevy II. lost the coin toss for the bye in the second and beat the leaf spring Nova. In the final I had to run a back halved Big tire 69 Camaro, very very nice car running both n/a and power adder and was in the finals in both classes. He was running a small block, tunnel ram and two fours and was buzzing the pi$$ out of it. I treed him and apparently he had problems because he couldn't run me down. Don't know what his car was running et or mph but he was coming hard on me but just ran out of real estate.

The best I had ran previously was 6.50 and tonight went 6.47, 6.46 and 6.44 in the finals. I'm still not happy with the 60' though, 1.431, 1.426 and 1.410 in the finals.

I know I got lucky as I by no means had the fastest car in my class. I got out on the two big tired cars and they couldn't run me down. The Nova treed me but by 60' I was around him and pulled away. My nephew met me there and we talked before the final and I told him the Camaro had me covered pretty easy but I was going to try to make him earn the win. It just goes to prove the best car doesn't always win.

BTW we ran on a .500 pro tree, I have now made five hits on one in my life. I suck too, luckily tonight so did the other guys. biggrin
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 07:35 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun night.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 08:13 AM

Thats awsome, I dont think you give yourself enough credit, you outraced them, they didnt just give it to you.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 03:27 PM

Congrats! beer
Posted By: BradH

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Thats awsome, I dont think you give yourself enough credit, you outraced them, they didnt just give it to you.

x2 & up
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 03:45 PM

Congrats! I agree, give yourself credit for the win! up
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 03:50 PM

Took out a lot of Bowties. Congrats! Good work!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Took out a lot of Bowties. Congrats! Good work!

Always good.................Nice job.............. beer

Re: New best tonight - 10/16/16 09:00 PM

Thanks guys for the kind words. I feel there are .30's in it once I get the 60' back down.
Posted By: BPE

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 12:31 AM

Congrats on the new best.

Rod
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 12:36 AM

Lets see, you went racing and won up You outdrove them or outran them or both bow
Don't you love good results up
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 02:34 AM

Great job bro. Congrats on the new best too!!!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 03:35 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 04:49 PM

Congrats on the new best!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: New best tonight - 10/17/16 04:52 PM

Congrats, sounds like a fun event!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 02:14 AM

Was the Camaro silver with black stripes?

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Was the Camaro silver with black stripes?

Yes, very nice car.

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 02:48 AM

Tony Mifflin. Its a street/show car. Think he only takes it to the track on rare occurrences. I know that was first time this year, as I had the car in my shop all summer...........LOL!!!

Its a ladder bar car. I think he said it broke a rocker arm or something. Usually run 6 teens to .20s on motor

I knew he raced somewhere this weekend and said he was in finals in both classes. You said really nice big tire smallblock Camaro, so that sounded TOO familiar.........LOL!!!

It is a VERY nice car. Clean as a pin and well detailed
Posted By: 383man

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 02:51 AM

Nice going. Ron

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:05 AM

Thanks again guys. up

Monty do you know how big his small block is? I told my nephew Saturday night I thought he had a couple tenths on me.

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:31 AM

It's a 434 with 15* heads. Makes a little over 800hp

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:34 AM

Thanks Monty.

Here's a video of some of the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jirI-P52nhQ
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:49 AM

Cool video!
Posted By: 340man4ever

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:10 PM

Congrats on the new best and win! Would love to hear about your combo........ drive
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:35 PM

It always seems like these street car shootouts are a clusterf*** as far as organization goes. Every one around here always is. Starts 3 hours late, no one knows what's going on, and finals get run around 3 AM.
Great job on the win! That's awesome that it was a N/A class! You have to be in the bottom 5s or high 4s to win one around here (none of them are N/A). Turbo mustangs running high 4s dominate. They always seem to go down the track every time.

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 04:55 PM

It was a mess for sure, nothing was organized. The cruise started well over an hour late. For the second round bye I had to go find the camaro and do the coin toss, which I lost. I lost that one and one in the first round for lane choice. After that I just let the other guys have the lane they wanted lol.

I thought it was kinda funny in the video (about 5:23) when we were returning from the cruise and I pulled back in someone commented "hey the old Dart made it". I guess it looks pretty ratty compared to most of the cars there biggrin.
Posted By: deaks

Re: New best tonight - 10/18/16 10:44 PM

Congrats.. Nothing wrong with a ratty old Dart.
© 2024 Moparts Forums