Moparts

firecore 440 distributor help

Posted By: hp340nos

firecore 440 distributor help - 10/16/16 12:50 AM

at the drags today and after doing a burnout, our firecore rb 440 distributor broke the teeth off the reluctor wheel.has only about 1000 miles street/track.it was running fine all day until this happened.everything is tight.checked all screws on the dist.we put a stock dist in to drive it home.will a reluctor wheel off a stock mopar fit the firecore?motor is very mild 400hp and shifted at 5300 to 5500rpm.
Posted By: tman

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/16/16 04:07 AM

Contact Firecore. Im sure they will get you what you need. Bummer what happened though. Is the pickup damaged from hitting the reluctor? or what hit the reluctor? Send a photo if you can.

http://www.firecore50.com/
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/16/16 06:51 AM

Talk to Rick,he will do the right thing!
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/16/16 04:54 PM

Do your self a favor and throw it in the trash and order an MSD - the firecore/Summit/Jegs are junk!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/16/16 06:40 PM

How do you break teeth off a reluctor wheel ??????
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 01:55 AM

I have had 2 of the Firecore distributors go bad on me and will never have another one. The weights broke loose on both of them causing all kinds of issues that could have led to some major damage. Some people may get by with these on a very seldom used street car but not at all in any race application. twocents
Posted By: BloFish

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 02:35 AM

Very disturbing.
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By DoubleD
Do your self a favor and throw it in the trash and order an MSD - the firecore/Summit/Jegs are junk!
I'm starting to believe you are correct,I'm having some Firecore issues of my own.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 04:08 AM

I was on the fence about buying a Firecore distributor for my 511, but all the issues I have seen on here and other sites makes me look all the harder at the Pertronix. I had issues with my MSD billet as well til I added the crank trigger. I can say this thou, Firecore wires are nice.
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By taxidermy man
I'm starting to believe you are correct,I'm having some Firecore issues of my own.
Can I ask what kind of issues are you having with yours? Just wanting a heads up. Mine seems to be fine. But its just a street car and doesn't get driven much.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 04:29 PM

iagree

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Barry
Can I ask what kind of issues are you having with yours? Just wanting a heads up. Mine seems to be fine. But its just a street car and doesn't get driven much.
Barry, been fighting a no spark issue for quite some time, I have 12 volts to the coil in the run position and about 10 cranking, new coil, new motherboard, good ground, every thing sees to check out, just doesn't work. I have it in the back of my head that it's something I'm doing wrong but I'm at a loss.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Barry
Barry, been fighting a no spark issue for quite some time, I have 12 volts to the coil in the run position and about 10 cranking, new coil, new motherboard, good ground, every thing sees to check out, just doesn't work. I have it in the back of my head that it's something I'm doing wrong but I'm at a loss.

Just throwing this out there, but have you tried reversing the wires going to the distributor? I thought I read it will still start if they are reversed, but will run like crap. Might not be your problem, but just a suggestion.

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 06:37 PM

Dodgeguy, are you saying to reverse the + - wires on the coil coming from the distributor? Thanks, didn't mean to hi jack this thread.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 08:51 PM

Dodgeguy, are you saying to reverse the + - wires on the coil coming from the distributor? Thanks, didn't mean to hi jack this thread.

Yes, only reason I say that, and not going to start a bashing here, but I had a firecore distributor, and i recently got a MSD distributor and the wires from each were different colors with the strip. I have a MSD 7al2 box I bought in the 80's at some point never used it until a few years ago. The wire color was different and had read allot of threads, but I guess I got lucky when I wired mine up. Was just a suggestion to try, not saying that is your problem, but I would try it to rule it out as a problem.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 09:28 PM

I still have the first Firecore50 distributor that Rick sold and it's still working great since the first day I got it.
I have about 30 passes on it and a few thousand street miles with zero issues.
I did have to switch the pickup polarity before I fired it up.

Gus beer
Posted By: dogdays

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/17/16 09:31 PM

The wire reversal that makes a difference is between the pickup coil and the module.

Gotta go,
R.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/18/16 02:23 AM

Firecore 50 distributor and wires here as well with no issues.
Hope craftmanship has not been compromised since. I'm sure rick will reverse all, the issues and come correct. Great guy to work with and purchase from.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/18/16 02:13 PM

mine works great,ive only been to the track a few times but i put about 4,000 street miles on it with ALOT of 6,000 rpm shifts. drive
Posted By: BloFish

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/18/16 11:31 PM

Still no word from Rick?

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/19/16 12:15 AM

talked to rick today ,a real great guy.he said he has never heard of one breaking the teeth off.he wanted me to send it back and they would look it over,i told him i would get another dist reluctor and fix it myself,he wants feedback from me, if i find anything.i checked the shaft runout today and it was only .0018 total run out.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/19/16 01:02 AM

Hello, I can't fix something unless I know about it. I have dealers that have sold hundreds of these , with very few returns. The issues we were seeing in the beginning were solved. Every once in a while, we get a phone call. I have never left anybody out in the dark about a repair. I have gotten one or two back where the customer completely destroyed the piece, the customer didn't tighten screws tightly after digging into it, customers had no idea how to hook up the RTR , even with clear instructions, a ton of installer error calls. I've driven hours to help racers in need, just to find it installed incorrectly. I'll admit, when coming out with a new innovative piece, there are growing pains. But with the thousands sold with extremely happy customers, a manufacturer is bound to get some problems. I've never blown off a customer. Thanks ...

Re: firecore 440 distributor help - 10/19/16 01:11 AM

in no way am i blaming rick at firecore for this issue.hell we even bought a brand new firecore distributor,and are going to fix the other one with a new reluctor.i even run his hei style cap and plug wires and coil on my small block.it sure beats welding up slots like in the old mp dist.
© 2024 Moparts Forums