Moparts

thread sealer on pick up tube?

Posted By: mopar dave

thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 03:41 PM

Do you guys use thread sealer or lock tite on pick up tube threads? 400 block.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 03:45 PM

I have used gasket shellac
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 05:14 PM

There is a slight taper on the threads so you don't need any sealer.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 06:28 PM

Quote:
There is a slight taper on the threads so you don't need any sealer.

BS !! ALL pipe threads are tapered - but if you look at any joint done by a pro - gas, water or oil, they use a thread sealant.

The sealant ensures a good seal when you have to back off the fitting for alignment and it also ensures the fitting will stay put.

Go with the sealant. There is a product on the market now called "Pipe Goop". Its clear, will solidify somewhat and is easy to remove if the joint ever has to come apart. Its way less messy than the white pipe sealant.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 06:34 PM

I use high temp liquid teflon on mine, seems to work good for me
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 07:08 PM

I use liquid teflon pipe dope, sparingly, not dripping tsk
Posted By: dogdays

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 07:40 PM

NOT All pipe threads are tapered. There is a standard for straight pipe threads, NPS. I believe the oil pickup tube is NPS.

I ran into this pipe thread overseas. It seems to be more common over there. Sealing a straight thread pipe involves using sealer or something like hemp, turning the pipe into the fitting, then locking it down with a jam nut. This jam nut is supposed to put tension on the joint and get the threads to push against each other, creating a mechanical seal.

http://www.regalcuttingtools.com/products/taps/pipe-taps/straight-pipe-taps/nps-straight-pipe-taps

I would recommend Loctite 567 or 545. They both seal at higher temperatures, 300 and 400F and can be taken apart with hand tools.

R.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 07:40 PM

ok, thanks guys. I will get some thread sealer then.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 08:15 PM

The pickup tube is tapered.

Pipe threads that are tapered seal themselves so no pipe SEALER is required on them.

However, pipe lubricant , such as teflon, is required to achieve the recommended torque to seal the pipe. Teflon and other thread lubricants will not seal but will allow proper torque compared to bare threads.

A sealer would be used in straight threads, such as header bolts open to a water jacket, that have no taper and require a sealant to keep them from leaking.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 08:20 PM

I do have a roll of Teflon tape in the tool box. Guess I'm all set. Thanks
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave

I wouldn't use that. Not to be a naysayer but the risk of that getting into the oiling system is too great for me. I would use liquid teflon or nothing.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave

NO!
Posted By: GY3

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/13/16 10:48 PM

Never used anything, never will.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
I have used gasket shellac

iagree

Indian Head gasket shellac
Posted By: NANKET

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 01:06 AM

What did the factory use? They built more engines than we will, and they warrantied them! LOL
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
What did the factory use? They built more engines than we will, and they warrantied them! LOL

Next time I build an engine to factory specs, I'll consider that, but I don't have the budget to replace engines like the factory does.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 01:47 AM

The factory original pick-up tubes that I have, and had in the past are not tapered, they are straight pipe thread. After market pick-ups seem to be tapered. The threads in the blocks are tapered pipe thread. The threads are designed to seal without sealer but need to have lubricant/sealer to help assure good joint make-up.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 02:25 AM

I'm wondering why its called "Teflon pipe sealant" instead of "Teflon pipe lubricant".
Posted By: AndyF

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 03:17 AM

It can't really go anywhere once the pan is on but you don't want to be sucking air in the threads so I use a little dab of sealer. I use a low strength Loctite blue to do the job but there are probably a bunch of things that will work.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67
The threads are designed to seal without sealer....

My bad, sealer needed

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 01:40 PM

Its called NPT national pipe thread taper. It is designed to have an interference fit. If it didnt you would bottom out the threads when it was tightened. I have been in engineering for over 35 years. I have seen many motors where there is pipe dope or teflon stuck in the oil pump!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 01:51 PM

ok, I have lock tite thread sealer, gasket shellac as well as blue lock tite on the shelf. looks like I'm good.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By R/T1968R/T
I have seen many motors where there is pipe dope or teflon stuck in the oil pump!!

That's because the donkey that put it on there put too much on and went right to the end of the threads.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 04:14 PM

I use red Loctite.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
NOT All pipe threads are tapered. There is a standard for straight pipe threads, NPS. I believe the oil pickup tube is NPS.

Correct, the factory tubes and the MP replacements are straight pipe thread (measure it for yourself) but the block threads are tapered so there is enough interference fit to allow the pipe to tighten without using a jam nut.

Since a NPT combo is often known to leak, a straight/tapered combo is likely to leak also so a sealer seems prudent.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 11:53 PM

I suspect that the reason that did the straight into taper is to allow greater adjust-ability at getting the PU in the right orientation without busting the block. You can see that only the first two or so threads are wedged into the thread root in the block.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/14/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

Correct, the factory tubes and the MP replacements are straight pipe thread (measure it for yourself) but the block threads are tapered so there is enough interference fit to allow the pipe to tighten without using a jam nut.

Since a NPT combo is often known to leak, a straight/tapered combo is likely to leak also so a sealer seems prudent.

I learned something new today shock whistling

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

I learned something new today shock whistling

I use to get flamed for stating this in past posts. I guess people finally pulled out their calipers.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 12:16 AM

I think some of you are a little confused, look at the definition of NPT. The taper is actually in the thread angle itself. Its not that the pipe (or hole) gets smaller on the end.The different thread angle is what causes the interference. This would agree with what john said above.
This is from the engineering tool box website.
the angle between the taper and the center axis of the pipe is 1o 47' 24'' (1.7899o)
truncation of roots and crests are flat
60o thread angle
pitch is measured in threads per inch

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 05:48 AM

I'm not confused at all.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 06:44 AM

I use red loctite too. Maybe it's not needed, but it has never caused a problem for me.

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 03:10 PM

I'm leaning towards the blue loc tite.
Posted By: moparx

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/15/16 03:31 PM

I think some of you are a little confused, look at the definition of NPT. The taper is actually in the thread angle itself. Its not that the pipe (or hole) gets smaller on the end.The different thread angle is what causes the interference. This would agree with what john said above.
the angle between the taper and the center axis of the pipe is 1o 47' 24'' (1.7899o)
60o thread angle

the above statement[s] are true. however, for example, a 1/4-18npt thread can be taped using a 7/16" drill for a through hole and get acceptable results. but you will get superior results using a 27/64" drill and a 1/4npt TAPERED reamer, which as the description implies, DOES make a tapered hole. this method is better because it can be used with or without sealer, and assists the 60* thread angle in doing it's job as designed. the practice of using straight through holes was started as a cost saving manufacturing move when it was discovered acceptable [usable] results could be obtained using a non tapered hole for most applications requiring pipe threads. in the above example, the 7/16" drill size is also the required size for a 1/4-18nps[coupling] thread, allowing use of just a common drill without a reamer operation for both types of pipe threads. i also own several common sizes of taper gages used to ensure the proper hole TAPER is obtained before tapping a tapered pipe thread. these gages have a very pronounced [obvious] taper that can be easily seen by the eye. i used this method daily for 42+ years as a machinist tapping 1/8 through 4"npt threads in natural gas metering devices. upon the advent of cnc machining, the tapered reamer was made obsolete in the smaller [1" or less] sizes as it was very easy to bore a tapered hole of the required dimension needed for the larger sizes, and this hole taper was a mandated check for quality purposes.
beer
Posted By: dartman366

Re: thread sealer on pick up tube? - 10/16/16 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By moparx
60o thread angle

the above statement[s] are true. however, for example, a 1/4-18npt thread can be taped using a 7/16" drill for a through hole and get acceptable results. but you will get superior results using a 27/64" drill and a 1/4npt TAPERED reamer, which as the description implies, DOES make a tapered hole. this method is better because it can be used with or without sealer, and assists the 60* thread angle in doing it's job as designed. the practice of using straight through holes was started as a cost saving manufacturing move when it was discovered acceptable [usable] results could be obtained using a non tapered hole for most applications requiring pipe threads. in the above example, the 7/16" drill size is also the required size for a 1/4-18nps[coupling] thread, allowing use of just a common drill without a reamer operation for both types of pipe threads. i also own several common sizes of taper gages used to ensure the proper hole TAPER is obtained before tapping a tapered pipe thread. these gages have a very pronounced [obvious] taper that can be easily seen by the eye. i used this method daily for 42+ years as a machinist tapping 1/8 through 4"npt threads in natural gas metering devices. upon the advent of cnc machining, the tapered reamer was made obsolete in the smaller [1" or less] sizes as it was very easy to bore a tapered hole of the required dimension needed for the larger sizes, and this hole taper was a mandated check for quality purposes.
beer
and if you show one of the younger CNC machinist today a tapered pipe reamer, they look at you and ask what the heck is that for and I tell them back when I was younger doing aerospace machining that was the only acceptable way to thread tapered pipe threads, especially in cast iron and as far as thread sealer,,never seen a plumber yet that didn't use it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums