Moparts

9" Backspace on Rim

Posted By: 506RR

9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 06:41 PM

What companies are willing to do a 9" Backspace on rims?

I contacted American Racing and Weld, they said that 7 to 7.5" is the most they will do.

I am trying to avoid having to cut my Dana 60 down, but am wanting to run a 15x12 rim on my car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Posted By: BBR

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 07:44 PM

These guys might do it:

http://www.holeshotwheels.com/index.html
Posted By: dthemi

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 08:47 PM

Or get a 12 inch rim with 3 in backspace and run it backwards
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 08:51 PM

Quote:

Never would of thought of that I think I would cut the Dana.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Never would of thought of that I think I would cut the Dana.

Really, if the wheel has a bolt in center take it out and turn it around backwards. Who knows it may work
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 09:45 PM

Centerline does a 8" back space

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 10:56 PM

Called Holeshot, and they will do an 8 7/8" backspace which will work.

Anyone know of any other companies?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 10:58 PM

might try Bogart as well.

IMO for as much money as you will have into a set of custom, goofy offset wheels, you could probably have your rearend narrowed for the same money. Just a thought.
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/11/09 11:50 PM

If you had access to a lathe you can do your own. I did Itook a set of weld draglites and separated them at the weld and added a strip in the middle tig weld it up viola . Mine are 15x12 1/2 8 1/2 backspace.

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/12/09 03:12 AM

Quote:

If you had access to a lathe you can do your own. I did Itook a set of weld draglites and separated them at the weld and added a strip in the middle tig weld it up viola . Mine are 15x12 1/2 8 1/2 backspace.

I do have access to a lathe, but my current rims are 15x8 so I need to buy 15x12. Figured I may as well get the correct backspace when I order them. That is a good plan though. That would be interesting to try.

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/12/09 03:14 AM

Quote:

might try Bogart as well.

IMO for as much money as you will have into a set of custom, goofy offset wheels, you could probably have your rearend narrowed for the same money. Just a thought.

I'll call Bogart tomorrow.

I am actually surprised there are not more rims like this already out there. Being able to keep the housing stock length and buy rims to suit seems like a pretty good idea versus having to narrow the rearend after minitubbing. On a full tub I understand completely, as the rims are so big.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/12/09 03:31 AM

Most like the idea of being able to shorten the axle, less axle and less back spacing means less rotating weight. Although the ease of just bolting on a wheel would be nice.

Think about it, everything gets smaller and lighter when you narrow a rear end. The difference might not make a difference, but you know us racers, every little bit counts.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 9" Backspace on Rim - 02/12/09 03:36 AM

Unless you have something super trick, axles and rearend narrowing is relatively inexpensive.

A narrow rearend is lighter, cleaner and stiffer.
© 2024 Moparts Forums