Moparts

INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION..............

Posted By: Thumperdart

INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/25/16 10:08 PM

So I got 10 gallons of the 100ll for $39.00 thumbs and took it for a putt on my sun beer run just for an idle cruise feel. It does run a bit richer at idle and cruise but not bad and the drop in gear is a bit tighter than the 101 unleaded VP. Smells great though and will do some high speed blasts tomorrow and plug readings. Someone mentioned adding Marvel Mystery oil stating av gas doesn't have good lubricating properties any truth to that............
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 02:00 AM

Do they add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank of an airplane? work
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 02:22 AM

Run it as is.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel

A lot of people do actually, I used to but then I just quit because I began running mogas in my airplane...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By Chris2342
Run it as is.
iagree
Add no oil into the fuel tsk
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
. Someone mentioned adding Marvel Mystery oil stating av gas doesn't have good lubricating properties any truth to that............

"Someone" doesn't know sh1t from canned rhubarb.

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By astjp2
Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel

A lot of people do actually, I used to but then I just quit because I began running mogas in my airplane...
I remember hearing of Mogas in Germany when I was in the Army in 1968, what is it?
As fas adding oil to airplane fuel it ain't needed tsk Them motors have no valve seals, are loose as all get out and normally and regulary consume from 1/4 quart to 1 quart of oil per hour or higher at low steady state RPM compared to our street and strip motors shruggy My Lycoming O 540 C.I. 260 HP would blow the first quart out in a hour if I ran it one quart low from being full, it would blow the next quart out in two to three hours of steady flying if I ran it down 2 quarts from full. It had a 12 quart system stock, I even treid running it down to 8 quarts cold before starting and that helped a little bit more on reducing the oil consumption, but I figure for the price of one quart of avaition oil I would run it at 9 quarts cold on take off for any long trips thumbs
Posted By: rebel

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 10:56 AM

I run a special brew Helicopter AV gas. Its designed for Turbo Prop engines, has no Glycol as helicopters dont get high enough & you only get it from a tanker, heaps of lead & has a 108 rating. engine definately runs smoother on this brew than Ground Tank AV gas.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 01:16 PM

Boy, please don't advise other people when you don't know what you're talking about. Turbo props are jet engines and burn Jet A which is kerosine. No lead and the octane is around 30 or so. Certified piston helicopters use the same AV gas as airplanes if that is what their type certificate says they have to use, there maybe some with a STC to use car gas.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By Chris2342
Run it as is.

iagree Don't add anything to it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:29 PM

Pretty sure you meant to say turbine engine.

Kevin

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 03:47 PM

Turbine engine, jet engine, same thing, one uses thrust, and the other has a gearbox with a prop or rotor.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:24 PM

All I know is that I burned 1.4 hours worth of it this past Saturday and 1.6 hours of 100LL yesterday on Sunday and wish I could burn more today but I can't because it's raining and I have to work. down up Gawd I love to fly!! I flew N348RM, the maroon one both days and added a quart of oil...to the engine yesterday and not the gas!

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:31 PM

Thankxxx guys and after hanging at the airport and getting an inside tour,I think I found a new possible option. Airplane mechanic.........they need em and I`m VERY thorough and love flying the small planes and did when I was about 12 and loved it. I`ll go beat on my car after I finish a dommy and report back......... thumbs
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:31 PM

This is an interesting thread as there are 3 small air fields within 5 miles of my ranch. My car runs OK on pump93 but I would rather put it away for the winter with the good gas in it thumbs
Thanks Dom !
Gus beer

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:33 PM

Send me your carb so I can get it ready for the NEW fuel........... biggrin

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Send me your carb so I can get it ready for the NEW fuel with oil in it!!........... biggrin

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 04:57 PM

Know how to make a small fortune in aviation?

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68

Fly airplanes? Plus I bought a second set of headsets for my wife this weekend, my fortune is getting smaller by the day. up
Posted By: Twostick

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 05:04 PM

Probably the same formula as trucking. Start with a large one.

Kevin
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By Twostick

Probably the same formula as trucking. Start with a large one.

Kevin

Better yet build a race car LOL

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 06:40 PM

I remember seeing a SS racer with a enclosed trailer back in the mid 1970s with a bumper sticker on the rear door that said "The only way to make a small fortune from drag racing is to start with a large fortune work I believe him now up whiney whistling Besides what is the price of fun shruggy
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By rebel
I run a special brew Helicopter AV gas. Its designed for Turbo Prop engines, has no Glycol as helicopters dont get high enough & you only get it from a tanker, heaps of lead & has a 108 rating. engine definately runs smoother on this brew than Ground Tank AV gas.
Somebody is yanking your chain, or you are trying to yank someones. Aircraft fuels boil down to these choices Jet A, Jet A-1, Jet B and Avgas. Since the first 3 are kerosene based for turbine type engines, that means any piston driven engine runs Avgas. And there are no special "brews"
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 08:07 PM

Not sure if it matters that he isn't in the US or not.
Posted By: rebel

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 09:27 PM

Boy, please don't advise other people when you don't know what you're talking about. Turbo props are jet engines and burn Jet A which is kerosine. No lead and the octane is around 30 or so. Certified piston helicopters use the same AV gas as airplanes if that is what their type certificate says they have to use, there maybe some with a STC to use car gas.

sorry, i wrote from my phone & it did some auto correct, i had written turbo piston but it decided to write something else. this gas is not the same as std AV gas & it's brewed in the tanker & only used on select helicopters down here. it looks like AV gas, but the smell is slightly stronger. AV gas has a rating of 100, this is 108 & as stated before, has no glycol. you need to chill a bit dude.
Posted By: minnesota guy

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 09:30 PM

So av gas 100 is 108 octane for the street rating? I get it at my local airport down to 4.00 gallon!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 10:23 PM

JP 8?? I think that's what my brother called it. He was a crew chief on a CH-47.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/26/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
JP 8?? I think that's what my brother called it. He was a crew chief on a CH-47.
We used JP-5 off navy ships for our amtracs' turbo diesel.

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/29/16 07:43 PM

Uhmmmm what fairy dust have you been smoking? Turbo props run a blend of Kerosene called Jet fuel, Avgas 100LL is 100 octane, it has a lot of lead in it, enough to get lead fouled plugs....

Originally Posted By rebel

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/29/16 07:44 PM

Mogas is basically unleaded gasoline, same as what is in a car.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/29/16 08:50 PM

Add no oil into the fuel
X2, lowers the octane, will knock at lower temperature and pressure limits.

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 09/29/16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By astjp2
Mogas is basically unleaded gasoline, same as what is in a car.
Thanks for the answer up
Are the envoirmentalists still trying to get the lead out of avaition 100 LL fuel?

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/03/16 06:33 PM

I was talking with Dick Weinle the owner of Edgewater drag strip here in Cincinnati. He is a pilot and keeps planes down at his drag strip along with avgas. I am going to fly his plane here soon and am going to pay him for avgas.

He tells me that 100LL avgas is rated differently than car race gas and that 100LL is like 112-113 auto race gas? I really have no idea to be honest, but he should know since he tells me he buys it 8000 gallons at a time and he has had it for many years at his drag strip. I believe he sells it to the racers for there race cars.

Anyone ever heard of this difference in octane ratings? shruggy
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/03/16 06:49 PM

I believe the old avgas formulation was rated at 100 octane lean/130 octane rich. 100LL I think has replaced that, having half the lead of the old 100/130. I don't know if that same octane range still applies to 100LL however 100LL is supposed to be the replacement for the old stuff. In the future as environmental regs tighten further, expect 100LL to go away and be replaced by an unleaded equivalent.

Also I think avgas is rated motor octane only, not the R+M/2 like auto gas.

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/03/16 07:36 PM

The three different octane ratings I remember on aviation fuel back in the 1970s where 80/85,100/115 and 130/145. the low octane numbers where for when the motors was run at full rich and the higher number was at max power, maximum EGT readings, not lean and not rich scope Later on in the mid 1980s the 130/145 got replaced with 115/130 which ended up going away also whiney

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/03/16 07:46 PM

I`m going back to "car" gas w/the VP-101 Unleaded since I've been using it since this motor was freshened 5+ years ago................
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/04/16 02:13 PM

I have heard the 100LL is rated differently and is higher than 100 octane, but no one could tell me what it actually is.

FWIW...I have an old friend that ran a 468" BBC that was 13:1 w/ 2 stages of nitrous for YEARS on nothing but 100LL w/ no trouble.
Posted By: KOS

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/04/16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I have heard the 100LL is rated differently and is higher than 100 octane, but no one could tell me what it actually is.

FWIW...I have an old friend that ran a 468" BBC that was 13:1 w/ 2 stages of nitrous for YEARS on nothing but 100LL w/ no trouble.

thats true.....i used to get a spec sheet and ive never seen it lower that 106.its 100 min usually btw 106-113.when it was a higher batch i would grab more of it wink
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: INITIAL AV GAS IMPRESSION.............. - 11/04/16 08:46 PM

I bought a new mod vp engine from Mercury Marine in the late 80's and 100ll was the recommended fuel. It was a high performance outboard engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums